PDA

View Full Version : Good Clubs - Learn to fish

castlemaine
06-06-2008, 02:44 PM
I often heard Nugget on his radio program say to someone to join a club to learn how to fish, spots, etc. Good idea but ...
I have joined a boat club and been a member for about 3 years but unless the club and fishing is your whole life's ambition the gun fishos and regulars don't want to know you. I put in as much as I can into the club activities and clean-up days but with kids activities, social commitments, etc it's hard to be there all the time.
The club is now only of convenience.
Although I'm in the Redlands, I like to hear if anyone anywhere who has joined a club and is very impressed with their club. To be fair lets only name the good clubs and if you got a concern with a club, best to leave it's name out.
Cheers 8-)

Local_Guy
06-06-2008, 07:25 PM
i think you would be better off finding members on here who are more willing and by the sounds of it "friendlier" who will help you out with whatever problems or questions need answering.

I'm not trying to sterotype your area (or you for that fact), but the people in that area are very "snobby".

However there are some great people around your area. send Timiboy a message, he is a top bloke and took me out when i was down in brisbane. He lives 5mins from raby bay.

mik01
07-06-2008, 11:59 AM
hi mate,
I'm in the redlands, and hear what you're saying.
I'm yet to join a club, but have looked at a couple in the area.

a mate of mine also did the rounds, but was less than impressed with a certain club and their attitude - lets just say that they were hardly welcoming.
It seems that you can be rude to prospective members when you have full membership and people on waiting lists...

When i get off my backside and the minister approves the expenditure, I think I'll join MBTBC at Manly. I'm hoping that they are not the club you are talking about though!!!

PinHead
08-06-2008, 08:22 AM
I was in a fishing club many years ago...even though the top fishos were good blokes they were very protective of where they fished and their techniques...they did not part with that knowledge easily. I don't think much has changed there with the comp fishos. As for boat clubs..I have recently rejoined one I was in about 15 years ago..been to a couple of outings with them..most seem quite friendly. It is the same as most clubs..gotta work out the cliques and take it from there.

johnny roger
08-06-2008, 08:38 PM
well if i could add my 2 bob's worth about clubs.....they are all the same. you have to be with the club from inception to be part of it. i am new to fishing and boating, but really want to be a part of it. but as far as clubs go, well i have been president of clubs, member of clubs, have had my family members be part of comittees, etc etc. but at the end of the day if you are not part of the "purple cirlcle" or a part of the clubs' inception, then you just will never fit in. hence why i am starting out with my new boating and fishing hobby solo and seaking advice from all you good folk on ausfish!
John

onerabbit
09-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Totally agree with the "purple circle" comment,

BUT....................

I joined my club 8yrs ago, (still with most members being in the club longer than me), & just asked if I could follow a few accepting members for a while, as i knew very little at the time.

At this point, we have held best boat for 3 yrs in a row,
deep-sea champ for 3 yrs, same
junior champ for 5 yrs, same
& fish of the year for 5 years running.

As a team...........

Don't be discouraged by the "lickers", just get out there & show them you are there.

By the way, this is not a brag post, just an example that the "elite" aren't fool proof.

Muzz

castlemaine
10-06-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm not trying to sterotype your area (or you for that fact), but the people in that area are very "snobby" ... Local Guy, they're not snobbish just a bit countryish with a few Greenies thrown in 8-)

I think I'll join MBTBC at Manly. I'm hoping that they are not the club you are talking about though!!! ... Mik01, no not MBTBC but I've heard a lot of good things about MBTBC though. Might even look at moving over to them.

even though the top fishos were good blokes they were very protective of where they fished and their techniques...they did not part with that knowledge easily ... Pinhead, I don't expect anyone to give away their valuable fishing spots but if you don't share your techniques and make new members welcome why be in a club. Cliques are unfortunately, as you say, are part of any club. Maybe I'm not presenting a trusting face.

you have to be with the club from inception to be part of it ... JR, you are talking my talk. It seems to me the 'purple circle' is the people mostly from inception, family or mates.

Don't be discouraged by the "lickers", just get out there & show them you are there. ... You may be right there ONERABBIT, everyone seems to congregate around the fisho with the most fish.

I guess it all about making the most of the club at this stage and using Ausfish as the guide. Thanks for the replys guys.
Cheers 8-).

youngy
13-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Have alook at the new fishing club NUGGET is trying to start on his website, it is hoped it will be more about learning to fish rather than numbers of fish caught. cheers wayne.

Pelagic 660
13-06-2008, 09:23 PM
I have recently joined MBTBC, mainly for the security of the ramp. Those who I have come across seem friendly enough, I guess like everything you get out what you put in. What about a big Ausfish club, or are we already members? Haven't been a member of Ausfish all that long but I have got so much from reading day to day chat and searching through the old posts, wife has also got sooo much peace out of it.;D;D;D

Cloud_9
14-06-2008, 07:49 AM
try the Gold Coast Sport Fishing Club cheap to join $25 for a single and $40 for a family of 4 or 5.
we meet the second thursday of the month and fish the following saturday or sunday on a rotating basis for the people who work weekends.
we have a monthly comp with great prize and BBQ.
90% of the guys in the club are not the ( ya I caught the fish over there in the water ) type fisher man. the techneecs and tactics are shared within the club to improve every bodies skill and ability.
while they my not give you their prized GPS marks they will give you area ,tackle used, tichneec, and when things permit take you out with them.
I live in Beenleigh and have been a member for 5 years , now the President of the Club.
the biggest problem we have is getting active members ( ones that show up or participate) in the club events.
have a look at our website meeting place and times are there.
Cheers Cloud 9

Seahorse
16-06-2008, 05:33 PM
I heard nuggett say on weekend that he has started a club. apparently got 30 odd people already.
i thought about trying to start something in my local area. got 3 replies but just didnt have the time to carry it on.
maybe start ur own in the redlands. dont think there is a shortage of ausfishers in ur area.
it would be great if ausfish had several clubs in different areas, a good chance to meet.
it was good to read the reports on the pin where few ausfishers gathered. wish i knew.

greg