PDA

View Full Version : Trip on "Alexander"

dayoo
06-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Headed out yesterday from Mooloolaba on the weapon "Alexander" with usual crew of 4 on board. Two of the crew had a chat with Smithy at the ramp before we left. Just before we arrived at the mouth of the river the Coastguard gave a warning about the state of the bar with waves and 1.4 meter water depth at low tide. The tide was going out which made the waves break across the bar and there were no marker buoys to indicate the channel. Skipper hit the throttle and the 500 horses got us out before any waves stood up.

Arrived at our usual spots on the Banks and managed to boat small snapper, parrot and mixed reefies. Final tally 20 small snapper, 16 parrot and 22 mixed reefies. Headed back early because the fishing machine for once in his life had something more important than fishing to attend too.

Seas were glassed out but there was a 2 metre swell in the morning which backed off through the day leaving no waves on the bar on our return.

I love being a deckie on the weapon because it is very stable with the 2.8 meter beam and also it doesn't take too long to get out and get home with the twin 250's humming at the back.

Few pics attached.

fish freak
06-06-2008, 02:16 PM
nice catch, and the conditions looked great, wish I was there.

I always find it amazing how big boats look on a trailer and as soon as you ad water, somehow they shrink.:-/ :-/ :-/

Usually most things expand with water, which would make my 4.3 tinny look like the Alexander;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

fishfreak

revs57
06-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Be tit was good to get out Barry, conditions look excellent, still haven't heard of any decent snap attacks yet - lots of squappery things around - the 75cm 7kgplus versions must still be deep

Here's hoping for a good week next week

Cheers

rhys

Tassie JR
06-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Nice fish once again dayoo, boats a weapon but i wouldnt like to be paying the fuel bill for the two moters.:P

dayoo
06-06-2008, 03:13 PM
If the boys were worried about cost of fuel for "Alexander" they wouldn't have sold there 6.8 metre AMM and built the weapon.

Cheers
Barry

BogusPokus
06-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Nice boat and fish.
Were you using any of those big bannanas as bait?
When I use them out wide I always get Tuskies.....suits me just fine.

Chookman
06-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Nice fish mate :)
Well done

Chookman

Az
06-06-2008, 04:36 PM
nice catch mate... beautiful boat too!!

Reefmaster
06-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Be tit was good to get out Barry, conditions look excellent, still haven't heard of any decent snap attacks yet - lots of squappery things around - the 75cm 7kgplus versions must still be deep

Here's hoping for a good week next week

Cheers

rhys

Hmm it seems you have something on your mind Rhys;D 8-) ::)

Barry
Some nice fish there mate and great weather to boot. Pass my greetings onto Franky for me.

Cheers
Greg

bballfisho
06-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Barry great catch mate, no point worrying about the price of fuel if your having fun catching a good bag. Man that weapon looks in good in every picture.

good on ya mate

connor

Fish Guts
06-06-2008, 05:11 PM
any idea on the fuel consumption the boats getting ? what revs does he cruise on ect ?

cheers

fish guts

seapup
06-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Good mixed bag there Baz! The Bigger Snaps wont be too far away! Caught a staph infection from Indonesian reef cut so am laid up on crutches for another week. Cant wait to get out wide and into the reefies! How was the current?
Cheers,
Benny.

loophole
06-06-2008, 06:06 PM
very nice rig whats the overal length of the thing?

and come on your fuel bill would have to be thousands;D :P but then again your out there allways getting a feed having fun.

what truck you using to pull that?

dayoo
06-06-2008, 06:31 PM
BogusPokus
No didn't take any banana prawns only use them for sweetlip when we go up to Fraser.

Reefmaster
Greg, Frank said to pass on his greeting to you and your family. Great report and pics on the Fraser comp.

Fish Guts
The boat has a 450 litre fuel tank but the fuel consumption hasn't been measured yet. It is filled up before we go and there is plenty of fuel left when we get back. The Nissan Patrol that pulls "Alexander" uses a full tank From Brisbane to Mooloolaba and back.
I don't ask the skipper what revs we are going at 50 knots because I'm too busy hanging on and enjoying the moment.

Benny
No current for most of the day we were using 8 ball sinkers to get to the bottom and at on stage I went down to a pea size sinker. Frank hooked into a lone xos snapper but it got sharked half way up.

Loophole
8.5 metres long by 2.8 wide and pulled by a Nissan Patrol fitted with heavy duty tow bar.

Cheers
Barry

IRMC000
06-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Dayoo
What can I say - GREEN with envy
Robert

Mark-P
06-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the post barry !
Thats 1 fine lookin rig......

Mark

Fishing_Freddy
07-06-2008, 07:33 AM
Great looking catch and boat, hope the weather comes good again so I can get out
Ken:beer:

missile
07-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Good catch boys. Bazz that is a weapon.

backlash08
07-06-2008, 09:57 PM
nice work guys

lido76
08-06-2008, 06:41 AM
Dayoo that boat is an animal I am drooling over that photo.Some good fish there mate nice size parrot love your reports well done.

skipalong
08-06-2008, 07:39 AM
nice catch guys it must be good to get out so often

Lacey Blue Dog
08-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Top Haul those parrots are my favorite. What rig and bait did you land them on. Cant wait for SEA PUP to head to the HARDS....

Bluedog

dayoo
08-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Bluedog,

When we fish the banks we use a snood rig with two 7/0 or 8/0 hooks and no more than an 8 ball sinker on top of the hooks. Bait is fresh mullet fillet cut into a strip to fit the rig. Always gets snapper and good parrot.

Cheers
Barry

TimiBoy
08-06-2008, 11:33 AM
A fine ship and a fine catch. I'd love to see the economy/performance stats, too, when they come!

Cheers,

Tim