PDA

View Full Version : Clears + canopy material

timddo
06-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Looking at making my own clears for the side of the boat and an extension the the canopy. Can anyone advise where is a good frabric shop to buy these materials..

Got quoted $800 for clears ( thats kinda of ridiclous pricing).

Mad-One
06-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Try whitworths I'm pretty sure they sell what you are after

Cheers Mad

revs57
06-06-2008, 02:42 PM
G'day Tim,

Mate the cheap stuff yellows and crazes after a while and you'd be disappointed. Spend the money and get the strata glass, its a poly carb, yep dear as poison, but worth it if ya look after them and for ya canopy extention, you can go vinyl or a fabric - again the fabric will be dearer, but won't break down in the sun over time

I'm not sure who to refer you to at the moment. Certainly the bloke that did mine did a good job, but charged me an arm, a leg and one of my kids so I'm not gonna recommend him. He did a good job but the line that says a good job is remembered long after the price if forgotten is a heap of crap.
This bloke quoted me one figure and it wasn't cheap and when I went to pick it up added another $500...spittin chips - never again!

cheers

Rhys

Blackened
06-06-2008, 03:51 PM
G'day

I'm with Rhys on this, pay the money and pay it once. Get the good stuff and damn well look after them.

As for his experiances, bloody hell!!!!

As for trimmers, look around.

Dave

Timfishin4fun
06-06-2008, 05:08 PM
To do it yourself wouldn't you need any industrial sewing machine as well?

Tim

shubeej
06-06-2008, 08:57 PM
timddo, go down to smc uphoulstry supplies in maud street newstead or industrial canvass in haywood street stafford.I,m pretty sure these guys will have what you want ( its where the pros buy there gear from )
cheers shubeej

bigtez
06-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Nolans, Upholstery Distributers, Halifax Vogel Group all have what your after. Only problem is most clear is sold in 20m rolls and can't be bought in cut lengths. If you are using the right materials you will also need access to an industrial sewing machine and the ability to use it without sewing your finger to the curtains. You would also need access to materials and tools to make the framework for the extension.
I hope you got more then one quote for the curtains.

Terry

timddo
07-06-2008, 09:32 AM
my last canopy clears cost me $550 and was a bloody good job. But he has moved up north.

I got my stuff from dailey's at arcacia ridge. I do have a industrial sewing machine and all the gear.

The place i got the quote was $800, then he said plus zippers + they had to do this and that. So it could end up well being over $1000 mark.

Now thats sounds like a outboards. $310 plus parts....???? no fixed price.

bigtez
07-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Might as well have a go your self then. Will definately save on the cost of labour.
That quote sounds a bit odd, you should be able to get a firm quote without having to worry about extras when you pick it up.

Terry