PDA

View Full Version : Old Evinrude 6 with a gear problem

stormysrider
06-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Hey guys I have set about on the (what seemed like a simple idea at the time) mammoth task of changing the broken gear linkage on my old (1979) Evinrude 6hp.

Now, after filling the swear jar getting the power head off, (wow those old bolts can get be a bugger to get out) I find to replace the broken linkage I will need to remove the gear shift arm to make the linkage fit. What genius decided to put the linkage in that tight little spot? Problem is i cant seem to get the shift arm out, my parts diagram shows no bolt other than the shift linkage that holds it in yet even with a gentle persuader and a cold chisel it wont budge! I am open to suggestions on how to get this out, it moves freely in the gear shift direction but not in or out. Am I not seeing a bolt? Do I need to 'line it up just perfect', hold my mouth just right, or heat the sucker up? Or do I persuade the 'Minister for war and finance' it is time for a new one?

Spaniard_King
06-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Stormy,

from memory it is in a plastic bush... u will most likely need heat.. but only a heat gun or hot hair dryer heat as unless your good with an oxy its gunna end in tears.

heat and twist and it should come out.. we are talking the shift arm on the stbd side I hope :P

Noelm
06-06-2008, 11:27 AM
not too sure I am following what you are asking, are you trying to get the gear lever/handle out of the side case? or the shift shaft that comes up from the gearbox? or something completely different? from memory there is no trick to getting any of those things to bits, except the shift rod/linkage that comes up from the gearbox.

stormysrider
06-06-2008, 11:58 AM
I am trying to remove the gear lever handle and its shaft from the side of the housing so I can fit the small cast aloy linkage the connects to the shift rod.

Dirtysanchez
06-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Put it in the bin and send me the power head, if it is any good :)
Only kidding, eventually I want to replace the power head on mine...
Anyway, do you have the manual ? I could send you a copy if you wanted

stormysrider
07-06-2008, 07:34 PM
It lives

Garry I owe you a 6 pack mate the hair dryer did the job nicely. Thanks again.