PDA

View Full Version : pearly mission

snapperbasher
05-06-2008, 12:29 PM
theres one fish that has always eluded me apart from a couple thrown in here and there while chasing snapper .Damn Pearlies::) so yesterday i thought i would head out wide of point lookout to see if i could find some.I didnt leave home till about 930 so probably a bit late but i was keen to find some new ground even if i didn't get any fish.The run across the bay was good. Just as i was passing the red bouys in the rous I saw some bait flicking on the surface so i motored over and found it was a huge school of pillies so i dropped the jigs over and caught about 20 pretty quickly. When i got to the bar it was looking pretty ordinary with that big easterly swell and a run out tide but i have crossed it many times worse than that so after watching it for a while i headed through at first it was just sloppy but the back bank was just a line of breakers :o so i picked a lull and got through with just a little water over the front once outside it was quite calm accept for about 2.5 mtrs of easterly swell.It was a slow trip out heading straight into the swell. it took me about 30 mins to get to the 90 mtr line where i started looking for some wire weed i found a few little shows of fish so started drifting first fish was a nannygai about 30cm he went back in just as i was about to move the bottom came up to about 86mtrs and had a nice show of fish on it so i dropped again and got nailed as soon as it hit the bottom and up came a pearly about the 3kg mark ;D a few more drifts over the mark and i had my bag of pearlies all between 3-4 kg so i left there and headed for home a little worried about the bar because it was right on low tide. When i got there i watched for a while and then sat on the back of a wave and followed it right through the bar too easy. headed back through the rous and home in absolute perfect conditions not a ripple on the water.

cheers lochie

p.s i didn't take any pics of the fish so it is all alledged;D

reel scream
05-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Well done Lochie- allways good to go target a specific species and come home with the goods. Enjoy the feed.

Cheers Scott

Captain Seaweed
05-06-2008, 02:48 PM
good stuff lochie. I am heading out tomorrow for a bash and hope to head out to the 35's. Did you go out through moreton passage amity or middle? Nice feed of pearlies would be just great. I have been through that bar in bigger swell and it soon starts the blood pumping especially when your between the banks and can see bigger sets rolling in. Anyway good stuff.
Marty

snapperbasher
05-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Hey captain seaweed,

I went through the moreton channel I think the other two would have been way worse amity would have been imposible I think.

cheers lochie

madmackrel
05-06-2008, 04:27 PM
::) I believe you Lochie

snapperbasher
05-06-2008, 05:29 PM
ha ha good on ya perry;D .Hey you will have to jump on board with me soon so I can show you how to catch some reefies instead of those vermin longtails and goldies;)

Cheers Lochie

cobiaman
05-06-2008, 05:51 PM
well done mate

ps, perry doesnt catch those fish, its normally his deckies...;D;D;D

Horse
05-06-2008, 09:22 PM
You gotta love it when a plan comes together ;D

Doesn't sound like the Bar is a whole lot of fun at the moment:o :P

Cheers

Neil

Angla
05-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Sounds like you had a pearler of a trip.

What sort of rig did you use.

I have only ever picked up a stray here and there

Chris

snapperbasher
05-06-2008, 10:37 PM
hey horse,
yeah I love it when a plan comes together but the sounder (furuno 585) makes a big difference never would have found it without it.

Angla,

All I used was a 10 ball Floater with fresh pillies but I think a bottom basher would have done the trick too. they were pretty thick.the current was light enough to fish plastics but I was just exploring new ground .The pearlies better watch out next time.

cheers lochie

axelsnappa
06-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Hey Lochie,
I guessed you would be somewhere. Good to see your giving the cape a rest.

catch ya later

J