PDA

View Full Version : Am I At Risk Of Fuel Going Stale?

Poodroo
04-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Hi there one and all,
After having my new boat since last December and having done countless trips in her already I have come to realize the 40hp Mercury outboard uses bugger all fuel. I leave generally from Manly and travel to Mud Island, often checking out St.Helena Island and Wello on my way back to Manly. Add a few drifts in when fishing with Plastics and it all adds up to a lot of motoring in one day. Every trip I do I end up coming home with around half a 25 litre tank of fuel left. When I head out next I always top the tank back up just to make sure that I have ample fuel as it is always better to be safe than sorry. On average I head out nearly every weekend but because every trip seems to end up with a lot of fuel left over I was wondering whether or not I am at risk of having my fuel in the tank going stale over time. Will I have to empty the tank and top it up with fresh fuel eventually or does topping it up with fresh fuel keep it fresh? Your thoughts?

Regards,

Poodroo

snapper napper
04-06-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm not too sure but i'm guessing that when you pour the new fuel in it mixs with the old and doesn't go stale( thats pretty good fuel consumption)

Reel Nauti
04-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Doing what you're doing is fine Poodroo. That's the same system that probably the majority of us use.

Cheers

Dave

stevedemon
04-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Hi Poodroo
mate as you would have read my first trip in 12months was 4 weeks ago i had 50 litres sitting in my 130 litre tank for that amount of time did not affect the running in any way topped up to the 130litres so longs as you are running fresh fuel in tank when you go out each time is fine i did place 2 litres of metho in tank just in case there was condensation in tank prefer to be safe than sorry

Cheers
Steve

jerson
04-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Mate, i'm the same except leaving from colmslie, always about 10 lts left, i've been using super to compensate for fuel going off, i don't get out as much as you. I have searched fuel storage times on this site & this is the plan i've come up with, lets hope it's right. If i replaced my motor i would get an oil injected, then just put leftovers in the car.

Outsider1
04-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Hi Poodroo,

you should have no problems with that regime if you are getting out every other week.

The recent article in F & B on fuel life suggested the ideal fueling method is to aim at 2/3rds to 1/3rd. i.e. use 2/3rds and arrive home with a 1/3rd of a tank and refill on the way to the ramp next time. You are pretty close to that.

Premix fuel has the shortest shelf life by far, but even the most pessimistic view is that it takes 2 to 3 weeks for it to start to deteriorate to any extent.

Cheers

Dave

MeePee_99
04-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Mate is that a 2 stroke or 4 stroke (im getting my new boat this weekend got a 4 stroke efi on the back, just wondering how much fuel its gonna use)

stingau
04-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Fuel companies recommend discarding after 60 days as unleaded then starts to break down. To overcome this you can purchase a fuel stabiliser that will increase this out to 12 months. One product is made by castrol/caltex not sure of the name ..fuel doctor i think.

I use an american product that comes in a tablet form but the australian one is a liquid. Ill try to track down the name if anyone is interested

BaitThrower
04-06-2008, 10:35 PM
I reckon you will be fine Poodroo with what you are doing. Just grab a bottle of Fuel Doctor from Supercheap or Autobahn and add maybe 10 mls to tank each time you top it up. That will help preserve the gas in storage and prevent gum/varnish or any other nasties.

MyEscape
05-06-2008, 05:04 AM
Poodroo,

How do you manage to get out every weekend/ I wish I had half your luck. How many hours have you done so far.

You are certainly right about these 40's not using much fuel. got a 40 2 stroke Yamaha on my new Seajay Escape 4.35 and I've got a 60 ltr under floor tank. All I need is an oily rag in the fuel cap.

Steve

Poodroo
05-06-2008, 09:06 AM
I'm not too sure but i'm guessing that when you pour the new fuel in it mixs with the old and doesn't go stale( thats pretty good fuel consumption)

Thanks. I have to say I am amazed with the way new engines are engineered these days. This 40 hp runs as cheap if not cheaper than the old 25 Tohatsu I used to own on the old tinny.

Doing what you're doing is fine Poodroo. That's the same system that probably the majority of us use.

Cheers

Dave
Thanks Dave. It gives me a bit more boating confidence knowing that I am doing the right thing.

Hi Poodroo
mate as you would have read my first trip in 12months was 4 weeks ago i had 50 litres sitting in my 130 litre tank for that amount of time did not affect the running in any way topped up to the 130litres so longs as you are running fresh fuel in tank when you go out each time is fine i did place 2 litres of metho in tank just in case there was condensation in tank prefer to be safe than sorry

Cheers
Steve
Thanks for the reply Steve. What I nornally do after each trip is disconnect my tank and store in a cool and dry place. This way I don't have any real problems with condensation and fuel expansion issues causing leaks. I also run a fuel filter and water separator also.

Mate, i'm the same except leaving from colmslie, always about 10 lts left, i've been using super to compensate for fuel going off, i don't get out as much as you. I have searched fuel storage times on this site & this is the plan i've come up with, lets hope it's right. If i replaced my motor i would get an oil injected, then just put leftovers in the car.
Thanks. Never thought about using leftovers in the car but that is a good solution.

Hi Poodroo,

you should have no problems with that regime if you are getting out every other week.

The recent article in F & B on fuel life suggested the ideal fueling method is to aim at 2/3rds to 1/3rd. i.e. use 2/3rds and arrive home with a 1/3rd of a tank and refill on the way to the ramp next time. You are pretty close to that.

Premix fuel has the shortest shelf life by far, but even the most pessimistic view is that it takes 2 to 3 weeks for it to start to deteriorate to any extent.

Cheers

Dave
Thanks Dave. I have wondered about fuel that is premixed with oil how it lasts. I don't have premixed fuel in my boat as it is oil injected.

Mate is that a 2 stroke or 4 stroke (im getting my new boat this weekend got a 4 stroke efi on the back, just wondering how much fuel its gonna use)
Mine is a 2-stroke. You will get amazing fuel economy out of your 4 banger.

Fuel companies recommend discarding after 60 days as unleaded then starts to break down. To overcome this you can purchase a fuel stabiliser that will increase this out to 12 months. One product is made by castrol/caltex not sure of the name ..fuel doctor i think.

I use an american product that comes in a tablet form but the australian one is a liquid. Ill try to track down the name if anyone is interested
Thanks. Where abouts do you buy the tablet form from? Do you do it by mail order? I like the convenience of tablets. No real measuring required.::)

I reckon you will be fine Poodroo with what you are doing. Just grab a bottle of Fuel Doctor from Supercheap or Autobahn and add maybe 10 mls to tank each time you top it up. That will help preserve the gas in storage and prevent gum/varnish or any other nasties.
Thanks for the advice. I will be heading out to Autobarn this morning to get some oil for the car and also some Rain Ex for the windscreen of the boat to help disperse that morning dew when I am heading out early. Can't see a thing threw it.::)

Poodroo,

How do you manage to get out every weekend/ I wish I had half your luck. How many hours have you done so far.

You are certainly right about these 40's not using much fuel. got a 40 2 stroke Yamaha on my new Seajay Escape 4.35 and I've got a 60 ltr under floor tank. All I need is an oily rag in the fuel cap.

Steve
Simple Steve. Saturday is designated fishing day weather permitting and Sunday is the day I do household duties liek mowing, spending time with the family etc. I work a job that does not require weekend work at the moment although that may change. I handed my resignation in last week and will most likely end up working a job that requires at least 1-2 weekends a month.

Regards,

Poodroo

Coontakinta
06-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Every trip I do I end up coming home with around half a 25 litre tank of fuel left. When I head out next I always top the tank back up just to make sure that I have ample fuel as it is always better to be safe than sorry. On average I head out nearly every weekend but because every trip seems to end up with a lot of fuel left over I was wondering whether or not I am at risk of having my fuel in the tank going stale over time. Will I have to empty the tank and top it up with fresh fuel eventually or does topping it up with fresh fuel keep it fresh? Your thoughts?

Poodroo, to put what you are asking into context. If, like me, you fill your car with petrol every week, regardless of how much u have in your tank, to take advantage of the weekly price cycle, do u notice any difference in the way the car runs?

I cant see a problem really.

Timfishin4fun
06-06-2008, 05:05 PM
I also alternate between unleaded and premium.

Not sure if it really helps but have been told unleaded is really dirty fuel.

Tim

Poodroo
06-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Poodroo, to put what you are asking into context. If, like me, you fill your car with petrol every week, regardless of how much u have in your tank, to take advantage of the weekly price cycle, do u notice any difference in the way the car runs?

I cant see a problem really.

Well my car is a little different because it gets a run "daily" anywhere up to 200 klms per day whereas my boat gets a single run once a weekend is it is lucky weather permitting which is why I asked the question. General consensis is that I should be fine and I thank everyone for their replies.

Cheers,

Poodroo

Donny Boy
06-06-2008, 08:41 PM
I also alternate between unleaded and premium.

Not sure if it really helps but have been told unleaded is really dirty fuel.

Tim

As a general rule of thumb, the less processed the fuel is, the cheaper it is.

That's why Diesel is so much cheaper than other fuels.........>:(

johnny roger
06-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Hi there one and all,
After having my new boat since last December and having done countless trips in her already I have come to realize the 40hp Mercury outboard uses bugger all fuel. I leave generally from Manly and travel to Mud Island, often checking out St.Helena Island and Wello on my way back to Manly. Add a few drifts in when fishing with Plastics and it all adds up to a lot of motoring in one day. Every trip I do I end up coming home with around half a 25 litre tank of fuel left. When I head out next I always top the tank back up just to make sure that I have ample fuel as it is always better to be safe than sorry. On average I head out nearly every weekend but because every trip seems to end up with a lot of fuel left over I was wondering whether or not I am at risk of having my fuel in the tank going stale over time. Will I have to empty the tank and top it up with fresh fuel eventually or does topping it up with fresh fuel keep it fresh? Your thoughts?

Regards,

Poodroo

gday poodroo,
this seems to be a topic that keeps croping up. wether it be outboards, chainsaws, cars, mowers, or whatever...but it keeps coming up. anyway, i work a month away, then a month at home. during my month away, i have all my machinery laying idle except for the ride one which the young fella uses to mow the grass. but the outboard, chainsaw, and all the other 2 stroke machines i have just get left with some amount of fuel in the tanks. and poodroo, to tell you the truth mate i have never had any trouble with them. the outboard fires up first time, and so does everything else. (first time is a sales pitch mate) when i say that, i mean less than 6 pulls of the start cord.
a freind of mine always says to give any 2 stroke fuel a good shake after it has been sitting for a while, and thats what i do as well. just to get the oil mixed again. anyway, dont know if this 'essay' has helped or not, but this method works for me.
John

robsue
07-06-2008, 12:28 PM
As a general rule of thumb, the less processed the fuel is, the cheaper it is.

That's why Diesel is so much cheaper than other fuels.........>:(
i just wish diesel was so much cheaper than other fuels......for my van