PDA

View Full Version : Sub tank

FNQCairns
04-06-2008, 03:15 PM
I have been thinking of designing a sub tank for the boat all hard wired in and underfloor, my main underfloor tank has two breathers so one of these could become the inlet, the subtank will be fairly small enough to cover 2 jerry of fuel as they sit where I would like a live bait tank to go.

Thinking about an inline low pressure automotive style fuel pump to transfer the fuel.

Has anyone seen this done on a boat? or have any other ideas comments? good or bad.

cheers fnq

Dan5
04-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Could you get one end of the tank you have now cut out?
Then an extension piece fabricated then welded back on to increase your current capacity?
It would make it alot more simple.

Dan

FNQCairns
04-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks Dan you got me thinking there but I cannot, the tank is v shaped and conforms to the bottom of the hull left to right with enough vertical side wall either side to fit the filler tube, cannot go larger in any direction except down by 50mm at the bottom of the v which holds bugger all volume anyway. Bummer!

cheers fnq

timddo
04-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Why not attach the second tank via the fuel filter. They usually have two inlet valves. Just make sure you have a stop value on each inlet hose. ( so you can choose which tank to use).

disorderly
04-06-2008, 04:50 PM
the subtank will be fairly small enough to cover 2 jerry of fuel as they sit where I would like a live bait tank to go.

cheers fnq

Dang it Scott...look at the trouble that downrigger has caused.

LOL... I'm also trying to figure out how to have a livewell without it getting in the road ...spent the day out catching a few muddies and now I want a little livewell in the tinny as well....let us know how you go about fitting it .

Scott

honda900
04-06-2008, 04:52 PM
FNQCairns,

someone on ausfish had some pics yonks ago, with a brass connector, with an on/off valve in the fuel line and a fuel pump to transfer from one tank to another, will see if I can find it..

Regards
Honda

FNQCairns
04-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Why not attach the second tank via the fuel filter. They usually have two inlet valves. Just make sure you have a stop value on each inlet hose. ( so you can choose which tank to use).

Oh yeah!! they do don't they8-) thanks for reminding me that's probably the way to go, little messy I tried hard to make it all look extra neat but I could live with that, possibly run the outlet to a 2 way tap before the filter that shouldn't be very messy looking either.

cheers fnq

FNQCairns
04-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Dang it Scott...look at the trouble that downrigger has caused.

LOL... I'm also trying to figure out how to have a livewell with it getting in the road ...spent the day out catching a few muddies and now I want a little livewell in the tinny as well....let us know how you go about fitting it .

Scott

Yeah bloody downrigger it's going to be more trouble than it's worth;D Hope you got a few.

cheers fnq

FNQCairns
04-06-2008, 05:11 PM
FNQCairns,

someone on ausfish had some pics yonks ago, with a brass connector, with an on/off valve in the fuel line and a fuel pump to transfer from one tank to another, will see if I can find it..

Regards
Honda

Thanks Hondaa should be interesting.

cheers fnq

honda900
04-06-2008, 05:59 PM
this is thread I was thinking of, doesnt have a fuel pump but could be adapted pretty easy. page 2 vitaminsea's pics.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=111449&page=2&highlight=refuelling+at+sea

Regards
HOnda

rat_catcher
05-06-2008, 10:35 PM
I wouldn't bother with the fuel pump it is just something else to go wrong and we know how electric motors don't like salt water and corrosion so something WILL go wrong at some point, probably right when you need to get at that fuel in the sub-tank.

My 702L has two tanks. The original as installed by Signature and a second tank installed by the previous owner. There are two fillers and two breathers and the lines from each tank go to a valve that I can turn to draw fuel from one tank or the other.

This is a real simple system and allows me to control my fuel usage appropriately from each tank as well as allowing me to fill the two tanks separately if I desire.

I have two separate fuel filters as well and the line from the tank goes through a filter then to the valve.

In effect I have two totally separate fuel systems to the engine and if one blocks up or has water contamination I can immediately switch to the other.

I would stick to the K.I.S.S principle! (Keep It Simple Stupid)

mitch92
06-06-2008, 06:17 AM
Rat_Cathcers idea is a damn good one! :thumbup:

The other thing i have seen is if the sub tank is near the other tank have a Y joint. The primer bulb was down with the fuel tank then the hoses both have a brass tap. they were then connected to the Y joint then run to the filter.

will Draw pic Soon

(Here is rough drawing. You can see what i mean by the colours meaning same stuff. The Y join is not meant to be a mile away from tanks, only far enough to allow a tap and primer bulb.)

Vitamin Sea
06-06-2008, 01:19 PM
I wouldn't bother with the fuel pump it is just something else to go wrong and we know how electric motors don't like salt water and corrosion so something WILL go wrong at some point, probably right when you need to get at that fuel in the sub-tank.

My 702L has two tanks. The original as installed by Signature and a second tank installed by the previous owner. There are two fillers and two breathers and the lines from each tank go to a valve that I can turn to draw fuel from one tank or the other.

This is a real simple system and allows me to control my fuel usage appropriately from each tank as well as allowing me to fill the two tanks separately if I desire.

I have two separate fuel filters as well and the line from the tank goes through a filter then to the valve.

In effect I have two totally separate fuel systems to the engine and if one blocks up or has water contamination I can immediately switch to the other.

I would stick to the K.I.S.S principle! (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Rat-catcher

that is effectivley what I have as Honda Guy pulled up from previous post, minus the seperate filter, which I may add is a good idea as well.

FNQ

The system works very well for me, transfer from one tank to the other no problems at all.

I would not muck around with pumps etc, as another has mentioned, just something else to go wrong.

PM me if you would like further info

Cheers

Bill

FNQCairns
06-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Yeah I think you blokes are right, i will forget the sub tank idea and hook up something like in the pic above (thanks mitch) it's simple so it will suit me well:).

When they finally force me to purchase E10 I will look to fit it out as a stand alone system, suspect I will need it to stay safe.

cheers and thanks fnq