PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter/Water Separator

Yammy06
04-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Hi
I own a 30HP 3 cylinder 2 Stroke Yamaha outboard motor. Should I install a fuel filter/water separator?? If so what one do you recommend for a 2 stroke motor??

Thanks

deathstar 3
04-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Proberly wouldn't bother if you have are carefull with refeuling and tank cleanlyness etc, on the other hand it wouldn't hurt for the small investment required.

John

deathstar 3
04-06-2008, 02:19 PM
If you do insure that the filter has suitable flow capabilitys for the max flow needed by your engine and them some.

Roughasguts
04-06-2008, 03:05 PM
I probably wouldn't worry about it unless you have a built in fuel tank, that's not easily removed for cleaning and flushing.

The only reason you need a fuel water seperator is to catch all the condensation over many months dropping off from the un filled part of your tank.

But if you can just visually inspect for water and pour the contaminated fuel out do that.

FNQCairns
04-06-2008, 03:34 PM
I don't think you need one where most 30hp engines go, but if ever you plan to be a silver spec on an ocean some where, a water separating filter may be worthwhile if only for a little piece of mind

cheers fnq

freddofrog
04-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Put one in is my 2 cents.

I'm currently doing a outboard mtce course and our instructor says it's actually very rare you get water due to condensation. The most common entry point is breather valves on sides of boats (eg the common s/s one you see) or cracked gauges, perished seals etc on portable fuel tanks. Apparently the crappy nylon breather valves are heaps better than the s/s ones as they only have a gauze where as the other has internal baffles.

I just changed my fuel/water seperater (Rakor Parker) last week and was supprised at the amount of water in it! And I would have sworn my tanks were fine. The constellation is at least I know the filters are working.

Assuming you have portable tanks, visually check if there are any signs of rust in the inside ( eg by removing the fuel level gauge and having a good look) Rust will be a good indication you are/have had water inside it. Then you should sort out how the water got in there in the first place.

cya
ff

Roughasguts
04-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Hmmm I would dispute the water in fuel not due to condensation.
I could get an egg cup full every morning from the fuel drain points in Aircraft, and that was in S.A. It would be 3 times that in North QLD.

With the breather on your fuel tank it should have 3 or 4 coiled loops, in hose right up near the breather vent. The coils will trap the water/ Fuel, in the bottom of them, but still allow the top to vent only the fumes. The coils makes a series of air pockets, it works well as a condensation trap.

Hornet Rider
05-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Put one in is my 2 cents.

I'm currently doing a outboard mtce course and our instructor says it's actually very rare you get water due to condensation. The most common entry point is breather valves on sides of boats (eg the common s/s one you see) or cracked gauges, perished seals etc on portable fuel tanks. Apparently the crappy nylon breather valves are heaps better than the s/s ones as they only have a gauze where as the other has internal baffles.

cya
ff

Hi ff, where are you doing the mtce course & how many days/nights please?

cheers, Mark

TimiBoy
05-06-2008, 06:25 AM
Hey Roughasguts, how did you get Hallie Berry to pose for your avatar?

Jeremy
05-06-2008, 07:14 AM
IMHO, definitely get one. Water can get into fuel in many way - bad fuel, rain, condensation, boat washing. If you run water through the OB it will run poorly then eventually stop. You will need a tow back in $$$$ and then to get it serviced and the carby cleaned $$$$. A good in line fuel filter will set you back about $100. Good investment for peace of mind and to keep the yammie tip top.

Jeremy

Spaniard_King
05-06-2008, 07:47 AM
If you ever have to do a carby job it will most likely cost you more than the original filter cost and the cost of changing the filters for many years to come. Most small outboards don't have a great fuel filtering setup, by the adition of a 10 micron water trap/filter you will find you can discount most poor runing characteristics due to dirt in the fuel. By this I mean it only takes a small amount of dirt to make it into your carby/injectors and you will start to see a degredation of running quality in an engine.

Water trap/fuel filter.. Imperative IMO

Fed
05-06-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm with you Freddo, the physics & maths just don't seem to support boat fuel tank condensation.
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/myth_of_condensation_in_fuel_tanks.htm
This has been my own experience also.
Planes operate under completely different conditions, temp, air pressure and the speed of change.

Fish Guts
05-06-2008, 10:59 AM
hey yammy.

if you dont go down the filter path, i saw F&b were selling fuel/water seperator funnels which looked pretty effective. It would at least eliminate the dirty fuel component.

cheers

fish guts

Yammy06
05-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I think I will install a fuel/water filter. Is there a certain brand that you would recommend for a 2 stroke??

Roughasguts
05-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Hey Roughasguts, how did you get Hallie Berry to pose for your avatar?

Found it on the net somewhere typed in bikini chick with fish or something.

So have you got a piccy of her head, and do I really wan't to see? it or will it disapoint.

freddofrog
05-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Hi ff, where are you doing the mtce course & how many days/nights please?

cheers, Mark

I'm in Perth. It's run by TAFE as an adult short course. Goes for about 8 weeks, one night a week. The ones here run every term. I assuming you will have an equivalent where you are. I just kept an eye on the paper and they normally advertised towards the end of the terms.

TimiBoy
05-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Found it on the net somewhere typed in bikini chick with fish or something.

So have you got a piccy of her head, and do I really wan't to see? it or will it disapoint.

No, but I saw her. She had a face like a smashed crab...;)