PDA

View Full Version : lure fishing the estuarys

joshcarty
04-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Hey fellas im just wondering if anyone has had any experience in lure fishing the estuarys for bream, flathead and jacks. I have never really tried it and am heading to woodgate just south of bundy in september. Really nice creek there that i have fished before but never had much luck. any advice would be greatly appreciated

BARRAkid
04-06-2008, 06:09 PM
I have caught all three mentioned fish in Hervey bay creeks and burrum.
For bream i use soft plastics and surface lures one of my classic favourites would be the bloodworm squidgy wriggler and surface lures that work well would be smiths towardi and ecogear px45.

For flatty's i use soft plastics pritty much and soft plastics about 4inch long.
jacks i use prawnstars
hope that helps a bit alot of lures work well in creeks but prawn imitations are the best.

cheers BK ;)

darylive
09-06-2008, 12:58 PM
As above, plastics will catch fish at Woodgate if they are on the chew. Also divers across the flats kicking up tufts of sand will catch flatties. Twitch platics over the sand banks, try to go with the flow of the current the fish are in the deep waiting for the tucker to wash in from the banks.

Gulp sand worms are also well worth a go, for flatties bream and whiting.

If all else fails the pub at Woodgate is great right on the beach looking over the ocean. Pelt a few worms, prawn stars and bigger plastics in to the surf and let them roll around for flatties, bream, whiting, dart, maybe even a tailor if you haul a 6" plastic in with some pace.

Be mindful that bait is plentiful there at low tide near the river mouth if you want it. when the tide is low you can fish from the bank right into the deep channel as the river empties and you could get any thing from whiting to queenies.