PDA

View Full Version : Older outboards- proven over time

scorpionNQ
04-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Hi Guy's,

Interesting read I just had with the thread ' which outboard do you prefer'. If money was no object, then the answer i guess would be a lot easier.

My question to all you experienced boaties is, if you are buying a second hand rig (as a lot of us do) obviously you don't get a choice of engines, so if the boat is want you want, and the price is right, BUT the brand of outboard is not what you have previously owned or would even consider if you were shopping around for one, would you still purchase this rig?

For instance, I have just upgrade my 6.7m (1994 hull) to a 7.3m (2003 hull) rig. It has a Suzuki 2000 model 2 stroke carby 115 on the back. It was still in the crate until 2003 then fitted to the 7.3m hull. It only has 71 hours on it and still looks like brand new (same owner, so I know the full history) It definatly is not my first preference (or 2nd, 3rd...8th etc) but I have owned a older 200hp 1994 suzuki for quite a few years that never missed a beat. Also I went to a Suzuki mechanic, he said they were built well, and didn't have any obvious problems, and he would have no quams about owning one. We all know they are not the best on fuel compared to dfi and 4st. But I spent all my budget, so I am not looking to re-power. The fact that this rig had such low hours and is in excellent condition (kept in a shed) is why I went ahead and bought it.

So this is my query regarding upgrading vs fuel costs?

Who has an older 2 stroke outboard on their pride of joy which is still going strong, not had too many problems and are still happy with? And what are your avarage distance trips?

Any info on 2 strokes (especially suzuki good or bad) would be great!

Cheers,
Lee;)

Coontakinta
04-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Have a 1996 25hp
johnson on the back of my tinnie and I'm yet to loose faith in the old girl

Roughasguts
04-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Got a 1995 85 Hp Suzuki pushing me little 492F Signature and so far it's good.
Maybe slight weeping from the head gasket can see some crusty salt from time to time, But that's it.

Water gallerys a clean, comps are like new, no corrosion. I'm happy with it.
Do am average 30 mile trip using 1 litre per mile.

Xahn1960
04-06-2008, 02:07 PM
I run an old 1988 Merc 225 and it goes great.

Noelm
04-06-2008, 02:27 PM
probably two of the best "old" motors would be the 3 cylinder Evinrude/Johnson 70 and the V4's of various HP, there is heaps of those still going strong many years after their "use by date" remember, you will probably never actually wear out and Outboard, either neglect or a "terminal" failure will kill it first, and if that does not happen, rust and corrosion will just eat it away when your not looking and not even using it!

nutgunaspu
04-06-2008, 05:07 PM
I had until very recently a 1976 85hp Mercury, CDI ignition model, and it was without doubt the most reliable motor I've ever owned. 31 years old and started first turn of the key EVERYTIME. Only sold it to put a 140 Johnno on the tub to pull the kids and their mates on a tube/kneeboard etc. Before that had a 1973 135hp Johnno which has a nasty habit of blowing gead gaskets, but apart from that was also pretty good. If the new Johhno is nearly as reliable as the Merc I'll be happy.

Ratman
04-06-2008, 05:58 PM
I must say since I bought my Sharkcat 8 months ago, my 1994 V4 Johnson 115's have never given me any problems. But I'd love a hightec 2 or a 4s for fuel savings.

Mick

stevedemon
04-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Hi scorpionNQ
mate I am running a 115hp V4 2st yammy 1989 on the back of my 1973 Stebercraft fibreglass hull heavy son of a bit#h but pusher her along at top speed 38klms hr and she has never missed a beat 8-)

the boat before this was a 73 16ft Seafarer with a 1980 85hp 2st evinrude on the back again never missed a beat8-)

have seen some of the newer models break down before time so i will stick with the older models:'(

they are like the older workers work harder and faster and never miss a beat;D
P.S I waiting for the back lash8-);D;)

Cheers;D;D
Steve8-)8-)

scorpionNQ
05-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks guy's for some imput. I see there are a few really old engines still going strong,

Steve, I see both your engines are in the eighties, and you are still impressed with them.
'they are like the older workers work harder and faster and never miss a beat;D
LOL... I'm with you there mate.

I am not over concerned at the running cost atm (being carburretted), however reliability is my main thought, so a 2000 model with 71 hours should be good for many years yet????

Cheers
Lee