PDA

View Full Version : PFD 2 required? Yes or no?

Jeremy
04-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Question is what level of PFD is required in Queensland for a kayaker in smooth, partially smooth or open waters? I am particularly interested in say Boggy Ck in the Brisbane River which would be smooth water.

Thanks.

Outsider1
04-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Hi Jeremy,

here is the link to the relevant page on the MSQ website;

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Safety/Lifejackets_personal_flotation_devices/

and the PFD document that has the detail;

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/resources/file/eb661348477d530/Pfd_mib_lifejacket_pfd_faqs.pdf

I took this snapshot of the relevant table.

Cheers

Dave

Ausfish
04-06-2008, 11:51 AM
That is for Recreational Boats. There is no legislation for recreational Kayaks in QLD. Commercial ventures such as tours groups, etc, may be different.

Common sense would say to use best practice and use the recreational boating rules as a guide, but you do not have to by law.

couta1
04-06-2008, 07:32 PM
where ever i go with my kayak..whether it is offshore or smooth waters i always were i pfd 2 life jacket...just makes sense

Just_chips
06-06-2008, 06:51 AM
Unfortunetaly there is a very real risk of being hit by other boats when you are in a kayak and down so low on the water line, and common sense should tell you to wear the best and most suitable PFD that you can afford to protect yourself from the unthinkable. I use an Ultratrek PFD for my kayaking it has low cut arms to stay out of your way when paddling and has a few pockets in the front as well as one in the rear which will take a camelpak water baldder. The downside is that it can get quite hot in this jacket. I have heard good reports about the self inflating style of jacket though which would be light and non-obtrusive to a paddler.

Kev

Brett1907
07-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Not sure what brand mine is, but it has less floatation at the back to give me a more comfortable seating position with the high back seat in the Quest. The downside is that there is extra thick floatation in the front, but haven't found that a problem as yet. It is a type 2 PFD, Craig told me that the reason it only got the PFD 2 rating was there isn't enough hi vis colour on it to be a PFD 1.

I'm a bit unsure about using the self inflatable type of PFD on a kayak as it will inflate if you tip or roll, then it is up and uncomfortable for the rest of the trip. Far better imo to get a Kayak specific PFD for comfort and safety. The other thing with the self inflating type is I would be worried it would inflate during surf entries, but I'm not sure how mach water would be needed to trigger it.

Then, every time it is triggered you have to spend more money on it to recharge it.

Although, I do use one for my son (20 months old) when we are out on our friends yacht. It allows him to move around the deck freely and we know he will be fine if he goes overboard.

Brett