PDA

View Full Version : Tilt Trailer?

Ramjam
03-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Hi, I am new with boat trailers, so be gentle. I have a 15ft glass runabout on a tilt trailer. How and when would the tilt be used? Thanks.

Reel Nauti
03-06-2008, 12:45 PM
The tilt would generally be released/used to retrieve the boat, not usually though for launching.

Cheers

Dave

Noelm
03-06-2008, 12:51 PM
not too long ago, almost all Trailers where tilt construction, the theory is that you can launch and retrieve in much shallower water than a non tilt model, and up to a point, it is true, just imagine if you had a rigid Trailer and you tried to just push the Boat off into shallow water, the Boat would stay completely horizontal until there was too much hanging over the end, it would then just drop rear first into the Water or Concrete if it is too shallow, now imagine being able to "break" the Trailer and being able to then angle the Boat and it's "cradle" towards the Water and let it slide off, get the picture? or in reverse, when retrieving, you can then break the tilt mechanism and the Trailer is now ready to accept the Boat at an ever adjustable angle, instead of winching it up and onto the rigid Trailer, sounds a tad confusing, and a bit hard to describe, but that is the way it all works, seems like a lost idea these days, with almost no Trailers being made as tilters.

garman1
03-06-2008, 01:39 PM
It is interesting that this topic has came up, I have a 4.3 quintrex and it has a tilt trailer. When I went out for a test drive of the boat before purchase, I said to the guy who took us out how useful was the tilt mechanism............... his answer was "you never need it and I find it a waste of time", so I have never used it. But I will next time and see for myself, everything Noelm said makes sense....... so thanks noel I will see how it goes .............................. retreiving for me seems to take the greatest amount of effort, once you get the boat mostly out of the water it is ok, so with the tilt I can see that problem being a lot easier.

Tnx Garry

Reel Nauti
03-06-2008, 01:45 PM
A lot of people don't use them where they have access to good ramps. As Noel explains well, they are quite beneficial for his stated reasons. I had a 15ft bondwood boat that was quite heavy, on a tilt trailer. I also lived where there was a good ramp so did not need to use the tilt on launch. However, on retrieve the tilt made it so much easier to winch up what was quite a heavy boat.

Good explanation Noel.

Cheers

Dave

honda900
03-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Yep I had tilt trailer under my old runabout, must have used it twice in 6 years, just to see if it helped. didnt make much difference on the ramps I was using so it never got used.

Regards
Honda

dreemon
03-06-2008, 06:14 PM
my tinny is only 4.1 and not really that heavy but I think it helps heaps on launch and retreive and use it every time.

Hornet Rider
03-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Ramjam,

Noelm's on the money. Tilt trailers are also handy for beach launching, if you know what your doing. But guess what, if your in Qld in the near future you won't need to use your tilt trailer. With the increase in boat rego due in the Qld budget, & with all the revenue raised going entirely on improving ramps for recreational boaters (gold platted fact, it's true), all you have to do is pull up at the ramp & the ramp attendants will reverse your trailer in, launch your boat & have it ready at the jetty for you to board & zoom off to fishing land. But be careful, the complementary glass of Champs they offer when you board is a trap! DPI & the Boys in Blue will be waiting just outside the marina to bag you, tag you & fine the pants of you. (More revenue raising concepts to be spent on Security Guards at boat ramp car parks to stop those bionic warradongals who park their non-boat towing cars in our spots.

Ramjam
03-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Hey guys, thanks for your input, I now have the hang of it and I should be right for the Hookup this weekend(awsome weather coming up!). I am glad there was a bit of intrest in this question.:D

datamile
03-06-2008, 07:45 PM
My redco has tilt, and generally means that once I get the boat moving off the trailer, the engine weight causes the tilt, and she's rolls in much easier.

dnej
03-06-2008, 10:34 PM
I have one,a rebuilt redco.Use it launching,and recovering the boat.I built an additional lock mechanism,and fitted chains to control the tilt angle.
Would build another if this one wears out
David

Noelm
04-06-2008, 08:03 AM
it was very common to have a "safety chain" of sorts to prevent the Trailer fully tilting, I guess that if you used the same Ramp all the time (most of us do) then you could have the chain just the right length to suit your Boat and ramp angle.

zigfreed
04-06-2008, 08:40 AM
I used to have a tilt trailer on and old 4.75 Dehavilland (spelling??).

This boat was beach launched 90% of the time and i always used the tilt for retieval. Would drag the tinny up the beach, "break" the trailer then reverse the trailer under the boat. The tilt would kick when the roller hit the bow of the boat thus making the boat "ride up" on the trailer.

A land based version of a drive on at the boat ramp i suppose.

Mick