PDA

View Full Version : Mackay snapper

supertinny
02-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Due to repairs on the super tinny i have been relegated back to land based fishing. I headed to the harbour at 5.00am and tried to get some live bait but failed. O well i had a nice slab of tuna for back up and thought i might burley up some gar for bait. While waiting for the sun to rise i sent out a big chunk of the tuna and kicked back taking in the dawn. With in a minute the rod bent over and i was into a nice fish. At first i thought it was trevelly but after some big head shakes i wasnt so sure. Much to my suprise up come a nice little snapper. It went 53cm and was supurb for dinner with salad and kakadu plum and chilli sauce.
After a great little fight and awesome eating i think i may target them once the super tinny is up and running next week.
Cheers

ifishcq1
02-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Nice fish, now it is getting cool get one of your mates with a big boat to take you out to Prudhoe, home of the big Mackay knobbies

SL

tunaticer
03-06-2008, 06:59 PM
A nice snap for dinner there mate.

Am I mistaken but has the northern limits of where you catch snapper moved quite a bit in the last few years?

I thought a snapper found north of the keppels was way out of range about 5 years ago. How common are they this north now?

Jack.

ifishcq1
03-06-2008, 10:22 PM
In the deeper waters of what we call the redfern country they have always been around mixed in with the big redjew and emporer.. they come into the shallow water when it gets cold in the last few years we have noticed squire in fair numbers around lots of the islands from Keppel to Mackay.. If you check our snapper out against fish caught south of Yeppoon ours look like greyhound snapper real long and streamline maybe they have evolved a little different because of the water temperatures and situation..Brissy snapper are a much heavier fish for the length..they still taste the same though..

SL

Breambuster33
03-06-2008, 10:42 PM
nice looking snapper there
good work