PDA

View Full Version : Cox Craft your thoughts?

rippinlips
02-06-2008, 08:19 AM
I am thinking of buying my first boat and i have seen a 5.3m cox craft not sure on the model as the picture isn't that clear for sale for $15thou. Just wodering on peoples thoughts on this particular boat?

Cheers gavin

JOHNBULL
02-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Gav, just like to say welcome to the site and to the big world of boating. Don't know much about the boat you are looking at but i am sure someone on here will. Good luck and see you on the water.

Chimo
02-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Hi Gavin

Suggest you PM Boatboy50, looks like he just sold one.

Cheers
Chimo

boatboy50
02-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks Pete,

Not much to do in this weather is there! The work must go on!

That boat is a Coxcraft Rum Runner, from late eighties vintage I would say.

Looks like a similar vintage engine, which I would have checked out before buying.

I would also check the trailer for working brakes which it must have by law. Those little wheels would also concern me.

I think 15k would be pretty steep for it, but the hull looks excellent. Just check the engine and trailer.

They typically go for anywhere between 6k and 20k. I sold one recently with a late model engine, new trailer, new covers and excellent condition for late teens.

Regards

Darren

rippinlips
02-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the info Darren,
As i don't know that much about boats i will take one of my mates who have a good idea at what they are looking at motor wise. If the boat looks good in the flesh i was thinking of offering about 10-12 thou.
Cheers gavin

PinHead
02-06-2008, 01:52 PM
I had one of those in the late 80's...went ok but they do porpoise a bit.

Outsider1
02-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Hi Gavin,

some suggestions;

1) do yourself a favour and find a Boat Inspection service that can look at the boat and motor for you, before you start haggling on price. There will be issues with it guaranteed, even new boats have them!. Most will be cosmetic or minor and acceptable for age etc, or easily fixed, but if there are major problems then they will know approximately how much to fix the problem etc.

2) find a dealer for the motor (it looks like a Black Band Merc?) that you will be happy to use for your servicing etc. They might also be able to offer a Boat Inspection service for you, and will certainly know what to look for, and costs to repair etc.

Cheers

Dave

rippinlips
02-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the tips Dave,

The motor is a 115 Merc and not sure on the age as i haven't rang the guy to question him, but i thought before i do i would get some inside info on those kind of boats. I am also considering a cuddy cabin classic craft or haines hunter breeze range. Getting all the pro's and con's before i buy as i will have my two kids on board to consider aswell.