PDA

View Full Version : Over-width Towing

nautilus
31-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Most of you know, that the maximum legal limit for towing things on Australian roads is 2.5m.

Many American boats in the trailerable class are 2.59m (this includes some of your highly sought after boats such as Boston Whalers). Does anyone know what you have to do in NSW if you want to tow an over-width boat?

When I have spoken to a few dealers about this, they have said, it is only 9mm, don't worry about it. Well, I am worried about it if I crash, write off my boat, the other person's car and the insurance company says, "you are 9mm too wide, we are not paying."

Any help would be great.

Cheers, Nautilus

jtpython
31-05-2008, 10:16 PM
In QLD the Brother-inlaws boat is a Seafox and is 2.8 wide and has to tow with Oversized signs and flashing light.
JT

Luc
31-05-2008, 10:39 PM
I suggest you contact NSW transport re towing requirements.

Luc

Awesome
01-06-2008, 07:56 AM
G'day mate. A few years ago I had a fully enclosed tandem car trailer that was overwidth at 2.66m.
Before getting it registered I had to obtain a letter from Queensland Police service stating that it was overwidth at 2.66m and all due care must be taken whilst towing etc etc etc.
The permit had to remain with the trailer at all times & any person that towed this trailer had to be advised of the permit & situation
Also found out that permit was only valid for QLD & that NSW were not interested in having it on there roads, as I wanted to race at Eastern Creek in Sydney.
At no time did I have to display overwidth signs or a flashing light.
Hope this helps

leezor
01-06-2008, 08:30 AM
I tried to get a "Periodic Wide Load Permit"from QLD Police earlier in the year so I could tow the Seaswirl I brought in from the US as it is 2.59mt wide. Their response was we no longer issue Periodic Wide Load Permits for this type of application. The copper said simply follow the "Performance Guidelines" (attached) and you will not have a problem.
With my boat I simply have to have an "Oversize" sign on the front and rear, put 4 flags on each corner and use an amber rotating beacon if towing it at night. I also have to carry a copy of the guidelines at all times while towing.
I also spoke with my insurer about it, they said as long as I follow these guidelines I will be covered no problems insurance wise.
Not sure if it's the same in NSW, but up here in QLD it's not a big hassle like it used to be.

Cheers,

Lee

Tidas
01-06-2008, 11:07 AM
My understanding for NSW is that you have to display an oversize size sign and only tow between dawn a dusk. (I have never researched this though, just word of mouth - so I could be wrong)

My other understanding is that nearly no-one actually pays any attention to the rules.

Personally I would be though for insurance reasons if nothing else.

If I was considering buying a boat of this width I would contact the RTA and get all the info you needed from the horses mouth as it were.

Cheers

Kleyny
01-06-2008, 01:58 PM
G'day mate. A few years ago I had a fully enclosed tandem car trailer that was overwidth at 2.66m.
Before getting it registered I had to obtain a letter from Queensland Police service stating that it was overwidth at 2.66m and all due care must be taken whilst towing etc etc etc.
The permit had to remain with the trailer at all times & any person that towed this trailer had to be advised of the permit & situation
Also found out that permit was only valid for QLD & that NSW were not interested in having it on there roads, as I wanted to race at Eastern Creek in Sydney.
At no time did I have to display overwidth signs or a flashing light.
Hope this helps

Permits have been out dated you now have to run under guidelines.
You can only get a permit after you go over 4.5m now.
BUT this is only in QLD i would ring the RTA and see what they say.

neil

485hussar
01-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Most of you know, that the maximum legal limit for towing things on Australian roads is 2.5m.

Many American boats in the trailerable class are 2.59m (this includes some of your highly sought after boats such as Boston Whalers). Does anyone know what you have to do in NSW if you want to tow an over-width boat?

When I have spoken to a few dealers about this, they have said, it is only 9mm, don't worry about it. Well, I am worried about it if I crash, write off my boat, the other person's car and the insurance company says, "you are 9mm too wide, we are not paying."

Any help would be great.

Cheers, Nautilus
you realise its actually 90mm too wide or 9cms

fish2relax
01-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Nautilus,
I went through this last year when i was looking into a new boat.
As you stste it is very unfortunate that the well priced US boats are overwidth.
In NSW you must have a handbook on you at alltimes when towing, overwidth flags, NOT tow between sunset and sunrise. However this is the biggest problem that I came across.... http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/heavyvehicles/downloads/permitnotices/general_class_1_special-purpose_vehicle_notice_2007_with_amend.pdf Goto section 6.5.3 which states the roads that you are NOT sllowed to tow on on weekend, public holiday AND over the christmas break. This is a very long list and ultimatly it is what ruled a overwidth boat out for myself. IMO it's not worth the risk of the insuance compay not mayinh out.

The link attached I do not beleave is the actual log book that you reqiure to carry. it was just a result of a quick search i undertook. I did have the correct book but have since deleted it off my drive. search on the website and give their techies a call tomorrow.
Regards,
Ben

TimiBoy
01-06-2008, 04:38 PM
I looked at a couple of Yank boats before settling on the CC685. Beam was the concern - they are lovely boats, but I just didn't want to stuff around with the requirements, not that they are hard but you know...