PDA

View Full Version : Anyone need a deckie in Cairns?

Brightsbane
31-05-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm in Cairns for 2 weeks and was hoping someone might have a spare spot on their boat or just need some one to go landbased with, or any kind of fishing really. I have my own gear and of course will pay my way.

Cheers,

Peter.

Brightsbane
04-06-2008, 11:34 AM
I couldn't wait to get a line in so I've tried the Palm Cove Jetty and the old bridge a Stratford with no success so far. Still hoping someones got a spot on a boat or can tell me about some good land based fishing.

Simmo2
04-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Sorry you've had no success mate!
Try under the 'airport lights bridge' toward Machans beach.
Any rocky point from Palm cove going North....
There is a great site by a member here on Ausfish that shows some good spots but for the life of me cant think of it atm....

Brightsbane
07-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks Simmo,

I'll try the airport lights and see how I go.

Scott nthQld
08-06-2008, 03:09 PM
IO can't remeber the site either, but type in "Bad Bubby" (the Author) in google and it should come up. Its fisning NQ.com or something like that....

STUIE63
10-06-2008, 03:57 PM
This is it i think http://www.fishingnq.com/townsville.htm
Stuie

Synful
10-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Pete, if you're still here and you actually get a break in the wind, the rock wall at Yorky's Knob can be productive as well just on sunrise.

I'm praying for a break in the wind so I can get the tinny out around the double Island wrecks to chase a mack or two (you're more than welcome to come along if it happens); looking at Seabreeze, there doesn't appear to be any respite in site in the near future though...

Thedoc
11-06-2008, 10:54 PM
The winds up and not much break I dont think , if calm in am cast around the rocks off the beaches between Cairns and Port douglas for barra just north of Ellis!
Also you may get something off false cape if the mackeral are going .

Have no word yet anyone?

Coddie
13-06-2008, 04:12 PM
I'm looking for some good land based spots in Cairns too. I got a FPV so even speed bumps are an issue. Anyone want to buy it so I can get a 4x4?

Brightsbane
14-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks Synful, Sorry I missed your post but just got back to brissy today. I don't think the wind had let up anyway and probably won't till next weekend. I ended up getting a couple of estuary cod and some mud crabs off the old Stratford bridge. I sold my boat a while ago so I'm hoping someone in brissy has got a spot open one day or night in the near future.

Synful
14-06-2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks Synful, Sorry I missed your post but just got back to brissy today. I don't think the wind had let up anyway and probably won't till next weekend. I ended up getting a couple of estuary cod and some mud crabs off the old Stratford bridge. I sold my boat a while ago so I'm hoping someone in brissy has got a spot open one day or night in the near future.

No problems Brightsbane, you are right; the wind still hasn't let up and it still doesn't look too good for next weekend (average of 20knots all the coming week) at this stage either...

The old bridge at Stratford can be a good spot at times, but I've got to admit that I've never seen any estuary cod get caught from there. To be honest the only stuff that I've seen from there has been:

GT's
Bream
Whiting
Mangrove Jacks
small Barra
Grunter
QueenfishOnly cod that I've seen has been the big old one that lives underneath it; if you hooked him I reckon you'd get to Green Island in record time ;D Do know a few people that have had their cast nets shredded when they've accidentally thrown over him before today.

Still, it sounds like you got a feed of cod and crab so you did well considering!
If you ever find your way up here again give me a PM; hopefully the weather will be kinder.

Brightsbane
15-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Cod or Grouper? Whatever it is its huge! One bloke was showing us that if you chuck down some herring he'll come up and eat it but if you put it on a hook he won't touch it. Smart fish that one. Plenty of crabs there too. I found it best to use a paternoster rig or a floated bait just to keep it off the bottom otherwise your just feeding the crabs there. When I put the pot down I was managing to get a couple of big muddies per hour. As luck would have it they where mostly jennies. You should have seen the look on some of the indigenous folks faces when I put them back.