PDA

View Full Version : What wheels on cat trailer??

Dean1
31-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Attention all cat owners! Guys im curious what size, type of wheels we have on our cat trailers? Reason i ask is that my current trailer has 13 inch steel wheels, tyres to suit but find im having to get the rear of my ute wet with the salty stuff when launching. My previous cat had 10 inch alloy wheels on it and I know I didnt have to back so far into the water obviously because the boat is sitting lower to the ground. I found no towing issues with the smaller wheels and am thinking about searching for some small alloy rims. Be great to hear what were all running, thanks in advance, Deano.

boatboy50
31-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Hey Deano,

I'm running 13's.

A lot of bad press about 10" wheels.

Spinning faster means you wear them out quicker. They blow at highway speeds because they are spinning so quick.

I wouldn't put 10's on.

Regards

Darren

Kleyny
31-05-2008, 07:34 PM
I'm with boat boy.
I dont have cat but i tow 2 boats mine 750kg and my dads 450kg.
Mine has 13s and he has 10s or 8s. And i have to tell you mine tows better easier and use less fuel any day.
The difference between 13s and 10s when it comes to launching is only 1.5 of an inch lower/ closer to the water (roughly) But the rolling diameter is the killer in towing.

neil

Greg P
31-05-2008, 07:37 PM
As long as they are pink for you Cat guys Dean ;):P;D

lippa
01-06-2008, 01:13 AM
pmsl @ pink.
will match deans skirt!
hahahahahahahahaaaahhhha
poor old cat has sat on the trailer for 6 weeks, whilst our monos have been out the 6 weeks straight!

Fatenhappy
01-06-2008, 08:17 AM
I just wish I currently had a trailer to sit her on .... (PS we're half way through the reno and repower) :-/ ;D :D

Noelm
01-06-2008, 08:33 AM
there is a whole lot of things that come into play here, the Wheel diameter is just one of them, as mentioned increasing or decreasing only alters the "ride height" a bit, the Axle being under or over the springs, the roller/skid setup, length of the trailer all have a big bearing on how far the trailer needs to be in the Water, as does the angle of the ramp itself, do not fall into the trap of getting the Boat really low on the trailer, as this starts a new set of problems as well, like Water being too shallow when the Boat comes off! I have had Cats with 600 X 9 wheels up to 14" currently have 13 Alloy with Light truck tyres, and have no probs, tyres blowing because of spinning faster is probably not a big deal, you would need to be doing 150MPH to have effect, pressure/load capacity is more the issue here with blow outs, as long as the tyres can cope with the weight, then you are resigned to getting the Car wet, unless you lengthen the Trailer.

finding_time
01-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Deano

Mate i run 2x al-ko axles with 10 inch rims and 8 ply light truck tyres on them. Yep there small but it tows well at 100km's even at 130 when passing! The bearings seem to hold up well and i'm running dura hubs on them. Both wheels and hubs are cool after a long run so all seems great! I does look a bit silly though, but the upside is the cars tyres dont even get wet at the ramp! I'll stick with that atm!

Ian

Dean1
01-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Mmm I was thinking ill stick with the 13's but replace them with alloy after reading the advice and thanks for the input fella's. Then Ian goes and confuses me ;D ;D I have al-ko axles as well all setup from kevlacat from new. Kawana ramp at high tide is the biggest killer it really levels out. I'll think about this one. I remember I had a blowout on my last cat trailer with the 10's on the highway with no jack, 2 logs on side of the road did the trick :D Cheers

Dean1
01-06-2008, 02:16 PM
I just wish I currently had a trailer to sit her on .... (PS we're half way through the reno and repower) :-/ ;D :D G'day mate, hey I see you have the same layout as wadeo had when he bought his. Are you going to put pods on her?? You will end up with a great boat if you go down the same path as him. 7m+ pods makes one great ride. He's is sooo stable. Youv got an awsome base there. Wadeo could give you a few pointers im sure he used the inboard well to his advantage. Happy renoing ;)

fly_1
01-06-2008, 02:56 PM
I have 13inch rims, with light truck tyres. Never had any dramas with them...

Noelm
02-06-2008, 08:36 AM
if you go to Alloy rims, get tubes put in the Tyres, after a while the salt water just sneaks under the bead a bit and you forever have a slow leak, really p!sses you off when two or three develop the same thing and you need to be forever pumping them up, been there and done that before!

Noelm
02-06-2008, 08:37 AM
as Trent said, 13" alloy (with tubes) light Truck tyres, no problem.

fly_1
02-06-2008, 12:10 PM
I couldn't agree with Noelm more !!!! I had tubeless for a longtime ( on previous boat trailers ), and everytime I wasnt able to use the boat for a period of time, the bloody tyres would go flat... After realising what it was from , I replaced the tyres with light truck tyres, with tubes, and have never had a problem since.....
Trent

Dean1
02-06-2008, 03:34 PM
pmsl @ pink.
will match deans skirt!
hahahahahahahahaaaahhhha
poor old cat has sat on the trailer for 6 weeks, whilst our monos have been out the 6 weeks straight!Hahahahahahahahahahahahah its blowin 40kts 5metres lets go have that comp now big mouth c who gets out and back 1st ive seen your form on the coolum comp in 25kts you had nothin!!!! ;D :D ;D :D Lets c who has the last laugh ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

lippa
02-06-2008, 05:27 PM
im keem, tommorrow!
or is your cat still broken down?

you need honda's my friend!

hahahaahhaha

Dean1
02-06-2008, 07:50 PM
im keem, tommorrow!
or is your cat still broken down?

you need honda's my friend!

hahahaahhaha I only need one donk in these conditions to smoke you young Brian. Hondas are to heavy anyway :D