PDA

View Full Version : 20hp Mercury 96 model Charging Circuit?

CHARGER
30-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Hi guys, been lurking around here for a while but haven't posted up until know:) .

I am fitting out a 3.9 metre tinny and it has a 96 model 20HP Merc 2 Stroke pull start on the back.

Im not entirely sure if this model has provision to charge a battery, im assuming it doesnt however I was wondering if anyone who knows mercs could shed some light on it and also I assume if it doesnt have it from factory its possible to get it to put out a charge with modification. I guess its not the biggest deal if it doesnt have a charge circuit as I dont rely on a battery to start but would be handy all the same and I've heard if it doesnt then I need a "rectifier"?, is that alll or?.

PS: Serial Number is 0G377036

Cheers in advance.

ashh
30-05-2008, 08:39 PM
have a look here it may help http://www.dougrussell.com/partscatalog/collections/index.cfm?fuseaction=serials&colid=01&coldesc=20%20%282%20CYL%2E%29

Blackened
30-05-2008, 09:31 PM
G'day

Wait for BM to reply.

I have a little merc, OT serial number, yours is US built with a serial like that?

Yes you do need a rectifier, and new, mine was under $200

Dave

BM
30-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Charger, I haven't looked up your engine yet but the stator (under the flywheel) will have charge windings installed. You will very likely have 2 yellow wires coming from under the flywheel. These are your AC charge wires.

You will need a rectifier to rectify the AC output to DC. Dick Smith sell a small, metal, (1 inch square) 35Amp bridge rectifier for $4.95. This will do the job perfectly. Your stator output is likely to be only 4 or so Amps.

This will give you an UNREGULATED output and that is how a lot of outboards have operated for many many years. Not so with the new breed of Amp hungry 4 bangers and DI 2 bangers.

If you wanted a regulated supply (if its only for lighting then I wouldn't worry) then visit a motorcycle shop and they will have 12V regulators aftermarket starting at about $60. Need to check if those regs contain a rectifier (quite likely) or if they need external rectification.

Cheers

CHARGER
31-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Blackened: Yeah its US Built.

BM: Awesome just the info I was after, with battery choice I have the option of a little 12v 7AH like a small motorbike battery or a generic marine battery more suited for bigger electric start outboards. Will the charge coming out of the outboard be fine for the smaller battery? I assume it would just charge it faster, is there a risk of overcharging at all or?

Thanks heaps lads.

CHARGER
03-06-2008, 10:40 AM
With battery choice I have the option of a little 12v 7AH like a small motorbike battery or a generic marine battery more suited for bigger electric start outboards. Will the charge coming out of the outboard be fine for the smaller 7AH battery? I assume it would just charge it faster, is there a risk of overcharging at all or?