PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Windlass motor protection

Fish Guts
30-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Got a question as to the most effective way in keeping rust away from my anchor winch motor. I have some surface rust starting to form and want to get onto it quicksmart !! What are your thoughts on using DENSO tape to cover certain parts of the motor casing ? any other suggestions ? and also would appreciate if anyone knows where to purchase DENSO tape in Brisbane.

looks like this weekend will be one for working on the boat.

cheers

fish guts

Jabba_
30-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Firstly, what is Denso tape????

Secondly, I hose off my windlass with fresh water, and then spray every couple off months with Quciksilver anti-corrosion spray...

Fish Guts
30-05-2008, 06:56 PM
denso tape is the stuff that you see on hydralic hose connections. its a cloth like tape with a petrolium type coating. really greasy stuff. I always hose off aswell but obviously doesnt seem to be sufficient. and havent had any luck with anti- corrosive sprays so thought the heavy duty stuff might be the best bet.

www.densoaustralia.com.au (http://www.densoaustralia.com.au)

MarkDiver
30-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Fish Guts
I know exactly how you feel but we can't wrap up all the shiny bits of the boat in Denso tape ;) now can we ha ha.
I do the same as Jabba, fresh water rinse and frequent spray with your choice of water dispersant. It should do the trick as it does for us. There are products that remove surface rust, fortunately it's not corrosion but just oxidation. Don't worry too much. I have seen the yachties cover their windlasses with material covers but that's extreme for regular fisho's. Good luck.
Mark

Fish Guts
30-05-2008, 08:13 PM
cheers mark.

i was referring to the motor in the anchor well (not anchor winch on deck) thats exposed to chain/rope/sea water. surely someone on here has protected their anchor motors ? a thick coating of oil ??

Jabba_
30-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Fish Guts. That Quicksilver anti-corrosion spray leaves a heavy duty film off a tacky non drip oil like substance.... It's not exspensive, I think $20 for a large arosole can...

Fish Guts
30-05-2008, 09:23 PM
thanks jabba. i will get some tommorw. thats what i was thinking of, a real gluey oil base to protect it.

cheers

Jabba_
30-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Give it 2 coats Fish Guts.. After first coat dries, apply a second coat and that will give you a more dence coating....

BM
30-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Bitumen paint, or grease.