PDA

View Full Version : pod or hull extension 565lhaines ideas

ped cairns
29-05-2008, 09:09 PM
refurbishing a 565l haines and we have looked at two others that have cut well out and squared up back and put pods on and love the extra room.
the boat with smaller fiberglass pod sits up above bungs and boat sits low in water but seems to go all right after trim tabs fitted but clearly not enough buyoncy in rear ,other one has aluminiun pod level with bottom and slighter larger seems better suited to hull
we are thinking of putting on more of a hull extension the full width of back with 5mm aluminiun and carrying plank on bottom all the way to back
more work but not much extra cost as we are doing ourselves for what we hope a better out come but only being novices all guess work.

has anyone seen this done on similar boat and do you think its a good idea
thanks
ped

FNQCairns
29-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Yeah do it that way it will transform the boat and because there will be no strakes (I hope) on the the pod it will not force too much stern lift, make the trailing edge as sharp as possible, none of this rounding crap for aesthetic purposes.

Good luck big job ahead if you decide to get at it.

Just one thing consider leaving the back off the centre portion if possible (long shaft?), with a full width and length pod you may? find the boat a little buoyant at rest depending on what it's like now but could also depend on the weight ofengine fitted also.

cheers fnq

Blackened
30-05-2008, 07:15 AM
G'day

Shoot uripper a pm, Mal has the 565 I believe (if not a 565, it's bloody close) with the pod... he's full of good info.

Dave

HH565L
30-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Hi Ped,

I think there's a 565F in the classified section that has an extension similar to that which you have described. I think the advert heading reads 6M Haines. Might be wortha look.

Pods or transom set back brackets (that's what i have on mine) on 565's can introduce porpoising issues, generally only noticeable if you are able to ride in 565 with and without on the same day.

The Edencraft 565 sports is fitted witha pod and rides extremely well, but they are built approx 200-250kg heavier than a standard 565L and the fuel tank is shifted forward to amidships to improve balance.

Hull extension sounds like a good option to me.

Regards,
Spiro

BM
30-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Ped,

Theres two ways to do a pod. The right way and the wrong way..

The right way is hull extension, the wrong way is non bouyant pod.

A full depth pod (hull extension) actually increases the waterline length of the boat and provides adequate bouyancy to support the engine. Much the same as a transom mounted engine really.

A stepped, or non bouyant, pod sets up a cantilever effect as you have a large weight sitting unsupported approx 500mm aft of the transom.

Pod extension is the go but do it in fibreglass. Don't cheat and use alloy. Its a glass boat, do it in glass and make it a true extension and not an obvious add on.

Cheers

uripper
31-05-2008, 08:14 AM
G'day

Shoot uripper a pm, Mal has the 565 I believe (if not a 565, it's bloody close) with the pod... he's full of good info.

Dave

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

thats not what you said last time HONEY ;D ;D ;D ;D

uripper
31-05-2008, 08:41 AM
This whole pod conversion topic is very complex & many with 1st hand experience (lots of it) have sometimes very different views.

Bought an old HH560SL (at right price) recently with a conversion that didnt work - bogged like a pig under 18knts !!! At 8-10knts the 130YAM2st almost needed a snorkel !! With a lot of research & mega help from many people (esp Ausfish members) have just about got the old girl happy - some fiddling, fine tuning & trials to do yet.

Seems there are so many variables to getting it right e.g.

hull type /shape/weight distribution,
motor type /HP /weight /position,
prop type /pitch,
pod design (thats a biggie)
etc etc etcMy learnings /observations so far :

you need good reasons to go down this path given the risks
older deepV bum-heavy glass hulls 5+ metres seem best suited
a pod setup that works can turn a good boat into an awesome boat
one that doesnt can be a very expensive pig & probably dangerousMal