PDA

View Full Version : gar & red claw at Wivenhoe Dam

BILLSMITH
29-05-2008, 06:49 PM
hi all, could anyone give me a spot to take the kids for a fish for some gar & red claw at Wivenhoe Dam please? i havent been there for years. last time i was there it was runnin over. thanks bill....

scrubba01
29-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Hi Bill as far as I am aware no one has caught red claw up there for quite a while they all died out. They have all but shut down access to the dam because of concerns over facilities or lack there of and every body peeing in Brisbanes water supply. I think Logan's inlet is still open to the public other wise you need to be a member of a sailing or fishing club.

bass54
29-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Hi Bill,
There are plenty of gar in the dam. Access is from logan inlet. billy bay and hay's landing is for sailing members only. Any were along the shore at logan inlet is a good one.Hope that helps.
Cheers
Jesper

Scurbba01,
Access was reduced due to the cost of upkeep of the areas, The notion that they reduced access to the dam because they are worried about people peeing in it is ridiculous, think of all the other stuff that goes into the dam(birds,cattle,fish etc.)

scrubba01
29-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Hi Bill,
There are plenty of gar in the dam. Access is from logan inlet. billy bay and hay's landing is for sailing members only. Any were along the shore at logan inlet is a good one.Hope that helps.
Cheers
Jesper

Scurbba01,
Access was reduced due to the cost of upkeep of the areas, The notion that they reduced access to the dam because they are worried about people peeing in it is ridiculous, think of all the other stuff that goes into the dam(birds,cattle,fish etc.)
What do you think the cost of up keep was for it was for the ammenities blocks needed at the various sites.

Fitzy
30-05-2008, 08:49 AM
I believe around $1 million was shaved off the maintenance budget of the 3 SEQWater lakes.
Public access to Wivenhoe is at:
- Cormorant Bay - bank only
- Info Centre - bank only
- Logan's Complex - bank access / boating / camping
- Hamon Cove - bank access / boating access
- Billies Bay - bank access where road crosses Kipper/Branch Creek. Can carry kayak to water
- OShea's Crossing - bank access / can carry kayak to water
- Somerset Park - Bank access / carry kayak to water / camping

- Maclean Point (Closed to public)
- Billies Bay ramp (closed to public)
- Hayes Landing (closed to public)
- Figtree lookout (closed to public)

More info & maps at http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Wivenhoe.htm

Also a Wivenhoe localities map I did on google maps at http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=au&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=116877900697417717378.00044e0ad15fc04e0326e&t=p&ll=-27.250357,152.571259&spn=0.416318,0.629654&z=11

Hope that helps.

Fitzy..