PDA

View Full Version : Indonesian Spaniards And Wahoooo!!!

seapup
28-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Just did a 9 day surf trip off West Java Indonesia onboard a boat with 8 mates. :D The surf was unbelievable with 10+ second barrel rides over razor sharp reef not out of the question - with all the boys donating plenty of skin to the reefs and the odd stitch been done on the deck of the boat with the Indo deckies laughing! ;D In between the different breaks I always dropped a lure overboard to see what was lurking around the insane pinnacles (some came up almost vertically from 400 metres of water) and drop offs. We caught our fair share of Spaniards, Mac Tuna, Trevs and a Wahoo. We got absolutely dusted by some monsters that were unstoppable - I'd say big mongrel GT's and Doggies. I didnt take the right gear with me to stop those buggers as I was already overloaded on luggage with 4 surfboards and surf gear for the trip. I wish I had taken my jigging outfit now as who knows what you could pull up around some of those big ledges. :( I also took 2 packs of Nuclear Chooks and got smoked throwing them around the ledges. Couldnt stop the GT's on the gear I had. The Indos were blown away by the Chooks and reckon they had never seen anything get as many hits around the Ledges as the Chooks were getting until i ran out!!! :o :o Attached are a few photos of the trip. The killer lure was the Halco Laser Pro 190 in red and white with 2metre bib. It absolutely killed it over the Lively Lure Mac Baits and other Halco 190 colours.

Cheers,
Benny.

PS. On the way home we sailed past Krakatau volcano and it was spewing its guts out and making a huge noise - amazing!!! See pics.

seapup
28-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Some More Shots. 8-)

seapup
28-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Coupla More.... 8-)

seapup
28-05-2008, 11:31 PM
A few more.... :)

baitwaster
29-05-2008, 05:25 AM
Now that looks like a killer trip. Love the reef rash pic LOL.
A bit more fun than working you reckon?

Was the sushi made from tuna?

revs57
29-05-2008, 05:44 AM
What a trip Benny, surfing those barrels would have been a blast! But then to get smoked up on good fish and a lovely bit of susimi with soy and wasabe? ! For some thing there is master card, other things - priceless.

Glad you showed the Indo's whatfor witht he chooks mate, that'll give em a sharp uppercut for takin the mick outta you blokes gettin hurt , no class at all. It takes guts to surf those shallow reef breaks

Great pics by the way, that volcano is a grumblin thing hey. would've like to see it go up like it did a few years back, talk about fire wroks!

cheers

Rhys

jtpython
29-05-2008, 06:11 AM
That would have been something to remember for a lifetime and the pictures guys are great. Some amazing fishing and surfing , How were the man in grey suits there?
JT

Frank OO
29-05-2008, 08:23 AM
Hi Benny,

You guys should be in a Body building Championship not a surfing holiday.. Great fish guys. Not sure about the skin scrapes though.

Frank OO

Fixation
29-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Hey Benny,

Trip looks awesome. Its great when you can share 2 sports at the same time like surfing and fishing. It must be hard to choose between them sometimes when you know there is big stuff under you and the swells pumpin too.
Love the pics mate. Thanks for sharing them.

Regards,
Craig.

Big_Ren
29-05-2008, 09:25 AM
You just can't beat a trip like that Benny. Thanks heaps for sharing and some wonderful pics mate.

Good stuff.

Paul

ffejsmada
29-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Great trip there Benny, top pics too.

Whats with the checked boardies???
Were they communal boaries or team colours????;D ;D

Cheers, Jeff.

Lacey Blue Dog
29-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Ben surf looks great allmost as good as the flea last week double over head kegggs no one out. HA HA HA
Top trip you must have been stoked your brother went along to stitch everyone up..
See you at the RM this week end should be cracking and then off to the hards ASAP
Talk Soon
DAZ

seapup
29-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Now that looks like a killer trip. Love the reef rash pic LOL.
A bit more fun than working you reckon?

Was the sushi made from tuna?

Thanks mate. The sushi in the photo was Spaniard. We also sushimied the Wahoo and the Indos did the Mac tuna in peper, salt, ginger and garlic then seared it. Didnt taste to bad at all. It was definitely better than being at work! ;D

seapup
29-05-2008, 10:36 AM
What a trip Benny, surfing those barrels would have been a blast! But then to get smoked up on good fish and a lovely bit of susimi with soy and wasabe? ! For some thing there is master card, other things - priceless.

Glad you showed the Indo's whatfor witht he chooks mate, that'll give em a sharp uppercut for takin the mick outta you blokes gettin hurt , no class at all. It takes guts to surf those shallow reef breaks

Great pics by the way, that volcano is a grumblin thing hey. would've like to see it go up like it did a few years back, talk about fire wroks!

cheers

Rhys

Thanks Rhys. Watching the volcano was as good as a 10 second barrel ride I reckon. Attached 2 more photos taken at night of the volcano.

seapup
29-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Great trip there Benny, top pics too.

Whats with the checked boardies???
Were they communal boaries or team colours????;D ;D

Cheers, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff. Old Pete would have gone mad up there throwing poppers, plastics and jigs around the place was alive with some big fish!
The boardies were team colours for the trip!

seapup
29-05-2008, 10:46 AM
That would have been something to remember for a lifetime and the pictures guys are great. Some amazing fishing and surfing , How were the man in grey suits there?
JT

Thanks JT. Didnt see any Sharks on the trip but the Indo boys reckoned there are some big Tigers there around the ledges. It was spooky paddling back to the boat at dawn and dusk above some of those deep ledges... 8-)

lido76
29-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Hey benny looks like an awsome trip mate. Whos that holding the spanno in the second lot of photos between the trev and the barrel? Were those shorts on a by 1 get 3 free deal at the markets before you got on the boat or what. Great pics talk soon.
LIDO

seapup
29-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Hey benny looks like an awsome trip mate. Whos that holding the spanno in the second lot of photos between the trev and the barrel? Were those shorts on a by 1 get 3 free deal at the markets before you got on the boat or what. Great pics talk soon.
LIDO

Thanks Lido. That was Jimmy Mclennan in the photo. He came along as well to ride a few barrels.

lido76
29-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Thought I recognised the face.

Fish_gutz
29-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Awesome trip there seapup, some nice barrels and good fish also. the volcano looks awesome. Cheers Andrew.

tiges
29-05-2008, 11:56 AM
SICK Benny!!!! Glad to see you scored over there. Post some more surf pics up. Did you get the big right on, or only One Palm? You haven't missed much here, timed it well with swell on the way this week as Lacey BD mentioned. Done better than another mate of mine over there recently. Busted his neck at the Mentawais, in a bad way in a Singapore hospital right now. Hell story of him getting out of there. Kiwi doc working over there choppered him out, despite Indo authorities trying to stop him.... On a brighter note, I'll see ya out the surf. I'm picking up 2 new boards this arvo :D :D .

seapup
29-05-2008, 12:08 PM
SICK Benny!!!! Glad to see you scored over there. Post some more surf pics up. Did you get the big right on, or only One Palm? You haven't missed much here, timed it well with swell on the way this week as Lacey BD mentioned. Done better than another mate of mine over there recently. Busted his neck at the Mentawais, in a bad way in a Singapore hospital right now. Hell story of him getting out of there. Kiwi doc working over there choppered him out, despite Indo authorities trying to stop him.... On a brighter note, I'll see ya out the surf. I'm picking up 2 new boards this arvo :D :D .

Thanks Timmy. We got 1 Palm, Napalms, Apocalypse (the big thick right), Indies, Teds, and B52's on. Stoked got some great pits. Will email them to you later this week when I get the surf shots from my mate. Thats bad news about your mate I hope he gets better.
See you at home.
Benny.

FNQCairns
29-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Damn! not a green zone in sight and you saw fish in Indonesia!
Don't tell our resident watermellons - reality bites.....sounds like great fishing!

But you blokes can keep the surfing, way outa bounds!!!

cheers fnq

Getout
29-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Any photos of the charter boat Ben?
I'm ready for an expedition to catch some reds when you are.

Pistol_P
29-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Benny.....Super pics....8-) .....Nice waves!

I thought that was a picture of a volcano but just realised it was actually Darren getting his rocks off with the resident Indonesian lady boys.......;D ;D

Jesus he must have been toey.....Its a big explosion...!!!!

Some nice fish.....How did that twisty leader set-up go...???

Lets get out and nail some big amberjack...!!!!

Pete

keenfishr
29-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Hey benny...insaaaaane pics. Im sittin here absolutely froooothing on those pics. How big did the surf get...and what boat did you go on??...lookin at doing a trip next year...and if i can get barrels like that and then get back on the boat to catch fish like that...then im sold!! bit of info on boat and prices would be great!!great report and pics!! thanks for sharing!

Lacey Blue Dog
29-05-2008, 03:24 PM
Pistol Pete Mate you need to take up surfing the swell is on the way right now Stradie bouy all ready over three meters. As for the Lady Boy comment I swear It was you leaving the Bounty with a pretty little thing under your arm all grinning and carrying on. You dont surf so what were you doing over there..........BANCHONGING ON>
YOU GO WHITE BOY

LACEY

Pistol_P
29-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Pistol Pete Mate you need to take up surfing the swell is on the way right now Stradie bouy all ready over three meters. As for the Lady Boy comment I swear It was you leaving the Bounty with a pretty little thing under your arm all grinning and carrying on. You dont surf so what were you doing over there..........BANCHONGING ON>
YOU GO WHITE BOY

LACEY

;D ;D ;D

HA !!......I should have taken surfing Daz....
This year has been 'The year of the swell'......They reckon its going to hit 5 metres again....:o ......Oh well back to the river for me!

Get ready for some Jigging Daz...!!

Pete

abbot_86
29-05-2008, 05:20 PM
looks like a fun trip ben. would have been good if you had of stopped some of those big gts

cptpott
29-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Great pics Benny, what's the black headed trevally looking thing?

imnotoriginal
29-05-2008, 08:05 PM

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Great photos, would love to hit some of those ledges.
Joel

seapup
30-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Any photos of the charter boat Ben?
I'm ready for an expedition to catch some reds when you are.

Hay Mal will send you some barrel photos and boat photos by email. Keen as to chase some Red fish!

seapup
30-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Benny.....Super pics....8-) .....Nice waves!

I thought that was a picture of a volcano but just realised it was actually Darren getting his rocks off with the resident Indonesian lady boys.......;D ;D

Jesus he must have been toey.....Its a big explosion...!!!!

Some nice fish.....How did that twisty leader set-up go...???

Lets get out and nail some big amberjack...!!!!

Pete

Mate didnt get to use it as I had to leave my rod and reel at home as I was overloaded with surfboards and surfgear. Saving it for AJ's out wide!!!

seapup
30-05-2008, 12:54 PM

Hay mate the Trev is called a BLUDGER TREVALLY.

Jono_SS
30-05-2008, 05:55 PM
seapup.

how many boats in the area these days?

spent a few days there myself in 2001 on Just Dreaming. best surfing trip ever. One Palm...what can you say about the place. we used to say "I love the smell of napalms in the morning!".

hopefully some surf to be had in the next few days.

SummerTrance
30-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Wow, thats some great pics there mate, and looks like a fantastic trip.

Looking at those pics takes me back. I spent 3 months in indo back in 2001, and did a boat trip through lombok and Sumbawa. I wasnt into fishing much back then so didnt have and lines out. Looks like it was a nice boat too. I did it on the cheap though, and organised the boat trip through the locals while in Bali, 1 week boat trip cost me $400. Thinking back it was one of the best times of my life. You will cherish those memories (and photos) forever.

sp nut
30-05-2008, 08:28 PM
G'day Benny,

All I can say is F#$king outstanding!;D A mate of mine has been on to me about this sought of thing for a couple of years now, and I never thought it was possible, until now. The photos look incredible; you guys looked to have had the trip of a lifetime!

Just out of interest, how much did it cost, and how did you manage to organise the whole trip? Obviously having 8 surf/fishing mad mates helps but, mainly the logistical side of things.

Also, just for future reference, use Tea Tree oil for the coral cuts, as it is extremely effective at healing the wounds and preventing infections.

Cheers,

James

fever
30-05-2008, 09:59 PM
More surf photos please thats pumping.

Jono_SS
01-06-2008, 02:37 PM
looks like you were on a nicer boat than these ones we saw in the harbour in south western Java.

Jono_SS
01-06-2008, 02:43 PM
More surf photos please thats pumping.

here we go fever, these are from 2001.

Note: they are scanned photos...sometimes I forget there were days before I owned a digital camera. Now you can buy them for under a hundred bucks.

seapup
02-06-2008, 05:52 PM
seapup.

how many boats in the area these days?

spent a few days there myself in 2001 on Just Dreaming. best surfing trip ever. One Palm...what can you say about the place. we used to say "I love the smell of napalms in the morning!".

hopefully some surf to be had in the next few days.

HI JONNO, 2 BOATS OPERATING THERE NOW. HERE IS A SHOT OF NAPALMS. WHAT A SIC WAVE SUCH A NICE BARREL!

Smithy
02-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Best post for a while Benny! Good 1!

Did Noosa bar for the first time before I headed off to Fraser for the comp. Not really worth it in the end. Ramps aren't as good and waiting for sun at the bar is a bugga. Now Mooloolaba is dredged again it is in and out anytime day or night! Chat on the radio soon if I hear you out.

tiges
02-06-2008, 08:39 PM
HI JONNO, 2 BOATS OPERATING THERE NOW. HERE IS A SHOT OF NAPALMS. WHAT A SIC WAVE SUCH A NICE BARREL!

The unmistakeable pig-dog stance of Benny!!! YYYEEEEWWWW!!!! Did ya get out the points on the weekend? Some crazy ones from way out behind Eno's.

seapup
03-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Best post for a while Benny! Good 1!

Did Noosa bar for the first time before I headed off to Fraser for the comp. Not really worth it in the end. Ramps aren't as good and waiting for sun at the bar is a bugga. Now Mooloolaba is dredged again it is in and out anytime day or night! Chat on the radio soon if I hear you out.

Thanks Smithy. Will give you a call next time I head out wide. Fish should be starting to fire out wide now.
Cheers,
Benny.

seapup
03-06-2008, 10:59 AM
The unmistakeable pig-dog stance of Benny!!! YYYEEEEWWWW!!!! Did ya get out the points on the weekend? Some crazy ones from way out behind Eno's.

No Timmy got my leg in a cast for another 1.5 weeks. 1 Palm did some damage to me!
Cheers,
Benny.

tiges
03-06-2008, 08:56 PM
No Timmy got my leg in a cast for another 1.5 weeks. 1 Palm did some damage to me!
Cheers,
Benny.

Is that your foot in the pics with the big chunk out of it? Is that why you're in a cast, or was there further damage?

seapup
04-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Is that your foot in the pics with the big chunk out of it? Is that why you're in a cast, or was there further damage?

Couple more surf shots from the trip...

fever
07-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the pics, going to mainland sumatra next year with family in tow, and will be looking for waves . Probable going to start of at Krui but we are going to do the full length of it, if you know any good spots i would love to hear from you, i have got 6 months leave at work an hopfully the will let me take it all at once. ps i have done the mentawias it was awsome also went to the carolines is last year and scored there, it has some great waves ,cheers

seapup
08-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the pics, going to mainland sumatra next year with family in tow, and will be looking for waves . Probable going to start of at Krui but we are going to do the full length of it, if you know any good spots i would love to hear from you, i have got 6 months leave at work an hopfully the will let me take it all at once. ps i have done the mentawias it was awsome also went to the carolines is last year and scored there, it has some great waves ,cheers

Hay mate Krui is meant to be pretty good and low crowds. Sumatran Pipe is nearby there and good. Also West Java has good waves in the Cimaja area. Turtles is a good left there. Ombak Tuju holds big swells as well and is near Turtles West Java. Have fun!