PDA

View Full Version : Tackle

pommy
28-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Greetings all!

Any suggestions about the quickest way to remove line twist from an Alvey? Needs to be land based.

Anyone know of any cheap reel handles that could replace a smashed off one from a Banax SX3000?

Went rock fishing off Lennox Point last weekend. Some nice fish including a 3kg tailor. Bad line damage on 25lb Daiwa line from contact with the rocks. Lost 40-50m of line that had to be stripped off the spool during the session. Any favourites for line for rock fishing?

Regards, Rob.
Ballina

revs57
29-05-2008, 06:47 AM
G'day rob,

If you're at Ballina that means there is some beach driving within a spit and a whistle from where you are. If you have access to a 4x4, you could let ya line out as someone else is driving down the beach and let the air do the rest as you wind it back on.

I've just replaced the handle on my banax sx5000, so you should be able to get one for your 3000, I just went to my local tackle store, Banax replaced it no charge. Let me know how you go, I can check with my local store if you don't have any success down there.

As far as favorite mono, Platypus platinum (oops early morning got to switch the head on!- thx Nigel) is the line I use for surf and rocks - if I'm looking for a bit more abrasion resistence either the penn 10x or schnieder, but the be aware that the Schnieder is a little thicker in diameter for the same breaking strain.

cheers

rhys

nigelr
29-05-2008, 06:48 AM
Hi Rob.
In answer to your questions -
1 - after each session, cut the rig off, put the rod in its' holder then run 100 metres or so of line along the beach. Then rewind it back onto the reel.
2 - no, perhaps contact local retailers for Banax for an original replacement part.
3 - Platypus platinum, Maxima Ultragreen or Tortue IGFA. All tough lines, the platy and tortue are finer diameter than the maxima, but the maxima is very resiliant.
Schneider is similar to the maxima, cheaper too. IMHO all these lines are considerably superior to Daiwa. Rock fishing is always heavy on your line, it pays to check it thoroughly after each session, to avoid heartbreak losing that big jewy due to a nick in your line.....................
Cheers.

Pistol_P
29-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Pommy that Daiwa line is rubbish.

As the boys said get a good quality Mono like platypus,Schneider,Tortue or one of the best (but hard to find)....ANDE monofilament.

Pete

CHAPPY
29-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Re linr twist on Alvy reel

50 years ago, my old man taught me to cut the hook and trace and sinker off and run at least a 100 metres of line out in the yard. Then with a bit of rag in both hands and pinching the line between the fingers, strip the line while walking backwards from the reel. This takes the salt etc. off and removes the kinks. You will notice the line tangling behind you as you do it. Just pull the line out and continue. Do this twice then wind the line on under pressure between your fingers. Take care to lay the line evenly onto the spool.

Thank the lord for the boat because as mentioned by others this is the eas y way.

Regards Chappy::)

banshee
29-05-2008, 06:44 PM
If your experiencing line twisttry winding the line on backwards every fouth or fifth cast,this wll take the twist out.Schnieder is the only line to use on the rocks,it's a bit agricultural but stands up better than most to severe abrasion.

rockfisho
29-05-2008, 10:04 PM
with the line twist on the alvey. Run out the section of working line, and attach the smallest swivel you have and pull it tight a bit, then slacken it off, and it should un twist, also help it untwist. To prevent really bad twists when fishing, use a swivel on the top of the rig.

With respect to rock line, I run platinum and schneider line, really abrasive resistant stuff. I had a big flatty wrap me around a rock a while ago, and it held together no worries.

cheers

Owen

Wayne_Red
29-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Take your rod and reel to your local footy field or a 100m of grassed area. Run you line out and retrieve it along the grass a couple of times, the grass works a treat on line twist.
Regards Wayne

pommy
29-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Greetings all!

Thanks for that!

I use Platinum on my 6500B and Daiwa Opus Bull. Ran Schneider prior to Diawa but the diameter was pretty thick. Tried Diawa as it was more expensive and thinner than Schneider but not as expensive as Platinum. Waste of time.

Use a double swivel rig, above and below the sinker, with Alveys.

Has anyone used Stren? I have used 14lb Stren for rock fishing before and found it very abrasion resistant and thinner than Schneider. Might have used this if I could have got 20lb plus.

Regards, Rob.
Ballina

nigelr
30-05-2008, 07:09 AM
Don't laugh, but lately for surf fishing I've been using some line I bought off Ebay.::)
'Kamakazi Warrior' in 25lb and 'Firepower SuperLine' in 20lb - both from a seller based in Melbourne.
I have to give credit where it's due, for the price IMHO this is excellent line, I've found it pretty much as good as all except the top monos like Tortue IGFA and Siglon, which are both very xxxxxy.
Thin diameter, great knot strenght and low stretch, I haven't used it from the rocks as yet although it is quite 'hard'.
I am hoping to win some more atm, ;) I'll certainly keep using it unless I notice a decrease in quality.
Cheers!