PDA

View Full Version : Boat/Fishing clubs??

backlash08
28-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi all,
Not sure where to put this thread however I figure that being an offshore fishing guy I might get some good advise from the audience on this thread.
I'm not a member of any fishing/boating club and was wondering what people's views are on them.
I live at Narangba, fish mainly off M/ba (banks etc) but plan to start doing some fishing off Moreton via Scarby or Bribie, I own a boat and was wondering what clubs would suit me and what benefits members gain. i like the idea of fishing different areas with different guys and learning from each other but not too sure where to start. Any suggestions or views would be great
cheers

Craig

lethal098
29-05-2008, 08:06 AM
craig, a fishing club is a good way to improve your skills and fish other areas that you may not fish, i am a member of a small amater club with approx 20 members, i have been with this club for 4 years and have learnt a lot during this time. we have a meeting once a month and a club trip once a month, mostly sunny coast but we do cover a wode area of moreton bay and surrounds and the pin trip during winter, if you want some more info pm me and we can talk further. cheers lethal.

Frank OO
29-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Hi Craig,

There may be a number of reasons for joining fishing clubs including social companionship. I have been a member of a number of fishing clubs and I think the main benefit has been to go out fishing with a few mates.

Another benefit of a club is that some of the people know a tremendous amount about fishing in general and others know a lot about one specific type of fishing. Either way you can learn a lot from other people.

Believe it or not you also have a lot to offer the other members of the club and that in itself is really gratifying. Sometimes it is better to give than to receive. I know that sounds corny but I get a great thrill seeing others catch big fish for the first time in their lives.

Hope it helps mate. All the best.

Frank OO

onerabbit
29-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Have to agree with the previous posts,

if you want to learn, join a club,

there will be plenty of people willing to give you tips, local knowledge, or even let you follow them out.

I have been a member of my local club for 8-9 years, & didn't know bugger all about the ocean when I joined, but now, enjoy keeping them all on their toes.

Muzz

kitty_cat
29-05-2008, 05:52 PM
mate all the info above is spot on and a club can offer endless amount of fun we fish the areas you are after and also do 2 x rainbow beach trips and a 1770 trip (see the m&g section of going fishing) were we fish in a friendly comp against ausfish
all for a small membership of about $50 we meet once a month not compusary and fish if you want every possible weekend
the power boats anglers has a few members involved in ausfish as well
pm me and i can give you more details everyone is welcome

Greg P
29-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Craig

We might need to get onto Col to start up Fisher Owners Fishing Club. Plenty of good guys around with em now :P;D;D;D;D

nautical prince
29-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Great post Clee i live in ipswich and fish the banks most of the time as well i have been thinkin about joining a fishing club for a while now and i think i have made my mind up Cheers Lance

P.S has any one got any ideas of offshore fishing clubs to join Around the western suburbs/Southern suburbs.

backlash08
29-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Hi Guys,
Thanks all for the replies, sounds like solid reasons to join a club, I've done heaps of offshore stuff and to frank's point, it is good to give as well as receive and I cant help but think that I have so much to learn and plenty to offer. Fishing is a funny game, we get in with a few guys that we generally fish with and miss out on extra experiences if we dont make the effort to share around.

Greg, I figure you are right, with Fishers becoming more common now and some pretty serious fisho's running them there is a solid reason for forming a club, but where would the banter be around 'mine's better than yours!' I figure that Col might be a bit busy as well, at least i hope he is busy building my new one! Hope to get it end augast/early sept..cant wait to be honest, 5 months without a boat is driving me mad, cant wait to blood it

I guess the question now is not if to join a club but what one, I'll PM the guys who have offered and make some decesions

cheers

Craig

kokomo
29-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Could some one post a good game fishing club around the Brisbane area?

Do any clubs have a website??

Streaker
30-05-2008, 09:54 AM
The Woodpecker tarvern has a fishing club, may be worth a look.
Wayne

Jeremy
30-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Brisbane Sportfishing Club does mainly offshore but also the odd trip chasing flathead or barra etc. Meets at Bulimba. Friendly and small club with a few top anglers who know their stuff in different areas.

All the info on our website
www.brisbanesportfishingclub.com.au (http://www.brisbanesportfishingclub.com.au)

Jeremy

rob tranter
03-06-2008, 03:05 PM
One other point, for NSW any way

If the Club your in down here is affiliated with the NSW Fishing Club's Association, you can get Insurance that covers you 24/7 anywhere in the world WHILE FISHING for a record catch (which we all are, aren't we);) for $10.00 a year.
This covers you up to $100,000.00
and is available for our Juniors at $1.00 a year, not up on what the $ coverage for them is tho.
Pretty good value I think.

Do you have anything similar in Queensland?

Rob T8-)

liltuffy
03-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Agree with Jeremy, I joined the brisbane sportfishing club in 1983 and was a member for about 10 years - an experience I'll never forget. Leant heaps and thoroughly enjoyed it - a great bunch of experienced and helpfull fishos;D ;D

Craig

sleepygreg
03-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Moreton Bay Boat Club Game and Sportfishing Section is probably the biggest Gamefishing and Sportfishing Club in the bay area, one of the few that fish both under the auspices of ANSA and QGFA. We cater for both the big boat game fishing scene and also the small boat sport and gamefishing fraternity. Excellent club facilities, with a secure private boat ramp(x2) and a licenced club and restaurant. We run several Tournaments a year......The Redcliffe 8kg Billfish Challenge on the Australia Day weekend, The Redcliffe Ladies Billfish Tournament (last weekend), The redcliffe sportfishing tournament, and the Kids Fishing Tournament. We also have a 365 day club tournament, with double points for one designated club weekend per month. Monthly meetings at the Mooreton Bay Boat Club, with regular Guest speakers, and memebers who have one of the broadest ranges of fishing expertise i have ever run across. Located in Scarborough Harbour....With land access form Bird 'O'Passage pde .....just up from Morgans Seafood Complex. PM me if you want more info.

Cheers
Greg

Mtx
04-06-2008, 08:54 AM
still waiting to hear about joining redlands club as more than just a social member.

hopefully there will be a spot for me next month :)