PDA

View Full Version : Tinny,, kidney saver

dogsbody
28-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Gday Viewers

A thought i had to alleviate the dreaded jarring of the back in tinnies. Especially if your deckie is getting on a bit.

I found a busted computer chair with the gas lift mechanism still working so I pulled out the wheels and drilled the holes through the base, cut some 4x2 for feet and offset the holes for a bit more stability. Then countersunk the holes for the head of the bolts on the underside.

It's unproven at the moment but just might do the trick. A good way to reuse the chairs that you see on the side of the road.

Dave.

snapperbasher
28-05-2008, 05:05 PM
good work mate!!

HIGH and DRY
28-05-2008, 07:30 PM
bloody good idea mate!! thanks for the heads up....

your an idea's man!!;)

champion
28-05-2008, 08:54 PM
love to see it in action, nice one!!

Joe

johnny roger
28-05-2008, 09:05 PM
i was actually thinking about something like that after reading a thread comparing runabouts and side consoles. one of the members said that it was a much smoother ride in a side console. so maybe your idea will work in the skippers seat of a runabout??
John

dogsbody
28-05-2008, 09:14 PM
I wonder how many members were bouncing on their chairs testing the theory. ;D

It was after my dad had a rather unpleasant ride in my brothers tinny that i pondered about the ole chair. I'm keen to give him a good test run. Perhaps a good run into the Brisbane River on a out going tide with 20 knots of breeze. ;D

Dave.

bigjimg
28-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Davo have you got too much spare time on your hands....?Also have you given any thought on the rebound theory , could be a possibility of ejecting you skirt
wearing deckie out of the boat.Maybe a lap sash over the ladies legs or you could provide a jacket with a couple of rolls of lead in the pockets.Just a thought
to mull over,of course royalties would have to be payable if you took on any of my ideas.Jim

shandos
28-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Hi Guys
I actually did this a far number of years ago. Worked ok for a short time then collapsed on me. I don't think office chairs get the beating (well most times anyway)that a stiff chop hands out. I may have been using a cheap chair (most probably).
I then purchased one of those captain (hydraulic suspension) chairs. It did take me a few years to destroy it -- 100km trips out of 1770 in rough seas will break anything I suppose.

I would be interested if anyone else has tried a suspension chair and if they would recommend it.

Shandos

bigjimg
28-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Hey easy there tiger the old man has learnt to sit next to me these days.You know the old saying no pain no glory.By the way you can talk my insides are still in freak show mode after the v nose allycraft days.

dogsbody
28-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Jim,, royalties? kiss my hairy bean bag,,you get squat.

Shandos if it dies on me there's plenty more out there and they cost you nothing. Worth a shot at least.

Dave.

dogsbody
28-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Hey easy there tiger the old man has learnt to sit next to me these days.You know the old saying no pain no glory.By the way you can talk my insides are still in freak show mode after the v nose allycraft days.

Ah the V-nose yes well that was another episode. We didn't sink at least. ;) :-[

Dave.

Davey1
28-05-2008, 10:05 PM
I guess one of those suspension seats used in trucks & buses from a wrecker might be better suited to preventing a long term arse pounding.

Hodad3230
29-05-2008, 04:11 AM
I like that idea, my tinny gives me hell when there's a little bit of wind-swell.

I've often thought about trying to use old car springs, or something similar. My boats only worth 5k or so, so I'm not gonna be buying gas chairs. Wondering if any-one has tried this, or has any ideas about how to put a suitable chassis/frame together to make it work......
Cheers Ian

revs57
29-05-2008, 05:53 AM
forget the tinnie Dave, straight to the pool room with that one!

Necessity is the mother of invention

cheers

Rhys

Reel Nauti
29-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Hodad I don't think it matters what your boat is worth, it's what your back is worth! Anything at all that can save even some of that jarring on your discs has got to be worth it.

I think it's a great idea with the gas chairs, and as Dave says, they cost bugger all. If you had to replace it every six months it's still worth the little bit of effort of bolting in a newy.

Cheers

Dave

onerabbit
29-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Get your arse out of the seat & use your knees, let bum hit seat on the bad ones.

Muzz

MarkDiver
29-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Ha ha, as they say 'a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work' so when you're sitting on your office chair...would make a good photo to stick up at work!

MarkDiver
29-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Get your arse out of the seat & use your knees, let bum hit seat on the bad ones.

Muzz
;D ;D ;D

:-X

Reel Nauti
29-05-2008, 04:02 PM

Muzz

That's a lot easier said than done for some people in an open runabout tinnie Muzz.

Cheers

Dave

shandos
29-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Jim,, royalties? kiss my hairy bean bag,,you get squat.

Shandos if it dies on me there's plenty more out there and they cost you nothing. Worth a shot at least.

Dave.
Absolutely -- nothing tried nothing gained

Dirtysanchez
29-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Make sure you reinfoce the base, honestly I know a bloke who was 130KG and sat down heavily on a cheap and worn office chair, and the seat base gave way and he copped the gas strut pole right up the cardinal marker. :o

Maginfy that with the pounding in a boat in a decent chop, you'd be able to see it down your gob when the doctor says, Say Arrhh. :'(

Chimo
29-05-2008, 05:08 PM
I think D S has point, pardon the pun.

If you want a smoother ride fit a smaller outboard and go slower. Cannot believe how well a 2.3 HP pushes a 12 tinny.

Cheers
Chimo

Reel Nauti
29-05-2008, 05:33 PM
DS, was he able to regas it while it was 'in dock' :)

Mtx
29-05-2008, 05:53 PM
130kgs... wow.. maybe he might like a little bit of running as he will not be able to sit down for a while :)

dogsbody
17-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Gday Viewers

Gave it a test run at the R2M and it come up trumps. Nice and smooth ride no real jarring.

Hit a few wakes that should have had the hairy bean bag hitting the top floor. :o

Need to glue some carpet on the feet because it did slide gradually underway.

Dave.