PDA

View Full Version : Sinker making thoughts

Aunty Jack
28-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Just after another way of making sinkers.
1st of all ,I drilled an over size pouring hole
then on a bike spoke rub on some sunlite soap
it works but the sinkers dont come of the spokes all that easly.
what els can you use without contamanating the sinkers .:laola: :laola:

timddo
28-05-2008, 03:08 PM
i just use grease. The idea is to pull it out ASAP after you pour. I use a metal cloths hanger

Aunty Jack
28-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Idon't know about that
what kind of grease.??
surely not patrolum based.
the hot part i'll try!!

moater
28-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Haven't made sinkers for nearly 30 years but used to use grease on a bike spoke.

baldyhead
28-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Have a look for tapered stainless bike spokes. A mate has these tapered spokes for his moulds & the sinkers come off easily. cheers baldy

Seaking
28-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Try WD 40, just make sure to wipe the wire with a cloth before use, and as Timddo says, remove them pronto!!! Never had a worry.

Another trick, try "tinning" the lead, this is done by adding +/- 1 cm of a candle, JUST before pouring the lead (wax only) and once it smokes, light it, when the flame dies pour the lead, and see how easy they come out the mould. The wire will also not stick so much, AND........ you will have the shiniest sinkers in town. (for a while anyway)

Hope this helps.

Aunty Jack
29-05-2008, 08:42 AM
thanks thats differant to me any way.
and will be tested out soon
so is WD/40 or grease is cool to use.
i've always been told when eg.
when fueling up don't get the fuel or the oil on your hands
dose that only count for the bait not the tackel
thats why i have my reservations on the grease

revs57
29-05-2008, 09:25 AM
I have always used the sunlite soap trick, but yep, pull em out hot!

timddo
29-05-2008, 10:04 AM
i just use normal hight temperature greasee. $6 a bottle.

Wipe some on the cloths hanger. Pour., then pull out.

Seaking
29-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Yes, fuel on hands OR tackle etc is a definite NO NO. Even sunblock puts fish your bait. The minimal quantity of WD40 used, as well as the fact it is wiped off the wire before use means there is virtually no scent on your sinkers.

What happens is, the WD40 is used to "coat" the wire, and thus the lead will not adhere to it easily... provided it is removed ASAP once the lead is cast into the mould.

Another tip, keep your mould as hot as possible, this ensures the lead flows in all the way. I usually warm mine up on the gas flame for a while before use. Dont overdo it, as some moulds are an alloy and can melt!! (a SMALL squirt of WD40 in the mould also prevents the sinkers from sticking when removing them.)

Hope this helps.

onerabbit
29-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Soap is the go,
be carefully with grease or WD 40, as it tends to get BLOODY HOT.

Muzz

Aunty Jack
29-05-2008, 04:10 PM
thanks for the heads up

ozbee
29-05-2008, 06:21 PM
bees wax ducks nuts

moater
30-05-2008, 02:19 AM
The grease or other lubricant does get hot -- that is the whole point,ya can't melt lead without heat.As to the bit about the use of grease or other similar and turning fish away,yes it is a consideration but how many people don't get at least some scent on their hands from fueling up or any of a mirriad of things that go with handling mechanical items?

I used to worry about getting a small amount of kerosine on my hands when filling up my lantern for surf fishing for gummy shark and others -- never seemed to make a lot of difference,usually caught good fish.On another tack I used to hear about how smoking was bad with the smell on your fingers--never ever seemed to make a difference..don't smoke for the last 8 years and the only thing that I hate is breathing someone elses fumes (ya don't know how selfish smokers are sometimes until you give it up).

Darren

trymyluck
30-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Hi
Try using coated steel tig welding rods, you still have to remove sinkers while hot but they almost fall off.:D :D :D I use 2.0 & 2.5mm rods. The holes are big enough that they don't tend to get blocked as easily.Also helps with the failing eyesight.:-[ :-[

Mark

pearcer69
10-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Just after another way of making sinkers.
1st of all ,I drilled an over size pouring hole
then on a bike spoke rub on some sunlite soap
it works but the sinkers dont come of the spokes all that easly.
what els can you use without contamanating the sinkers .:laola: :laola:

Hi guy's,
This is my first post so be gentle....lol.

I use a number 12 welding rod (with the flux removed) for the hole but instead of fighting with a hot mould I hook a cheap battery drill up to the end of the rod and give it a whirl so to speak. With a very slight amount of outward force the rod comes out of the mould without the need to use grease or any type of lubricant that will contaminate the sinker.

This method can be used no matter if the mould is held in a vise or held together with vice grips.

Hope this helps solve a tricky problem
Cheers,
Rosco

dreemon
10-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Old mate down the road gave me a sinker kit and it's OLD ! (older than me) (built a drawer for his cabinet) but it has everything i need to start melting, the thing is you all mention using coat hanger or bike spoke....... can I use reo tie wire? only cause I find that when the sinker slides down to the swivel and it gets stuck and wont run along the line cause the hole is big enough to let it jam, :-/