PDA

View Full Version : Broadbill

brisbane
28-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Has any one ever heard of broadbill being caught off QLD by somebody other than longliners? We got this one off moreton. got him on an alvey with a pilly.:D

ffejsmada
28-05-2008, 01:30 PM
An alvey and a pilly hey???????????????................................ ....:-/ :-/ :-/

hhmmmm

Noelm
28-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Impossible, most will tell you that a Shimano something or other is needed to catch anything, and an Alvey will catch nothing except Tailor. (just joking guys)

camer1
28-05-2008, 04:58 PM
I have heard of about three being caught in recent times ( last 3 years) by bottom dongers yet some of the billfishing guys who have targeted them have been unsuccessful even after travelling out to the seamounts of SE queensland where the longliners frequent. I have only ever heard of one being caught by an angler actually targeting them in Queensland.The others I have heard of where caught in reasonaly shallow water on the back of the Barwon Banks. I have however personally seen several sunning themselves in the very deep water over the Noosa canyons.

Imfiik
28-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Seen a few taken from the banks and even a couple from cal twelve mile. All were under twenty kilos and none were fished for . All taken on floaters whilst the anglers were busy bottom fishing. A mate and I made plans to fish the nearest seamount with two boats overnight. We were planning to drift whole squid with light sticks. I was diagnosed with cancer and all plans were abandoned. Probably a case of cancer saving my life.

Angla
28-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Thats certainly an ugly looking fish. What sort of a fight did it put up?

Chris

Frank OO
28-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Unlucky little Bugger. Closest thing to a Marlin I've seen all year.

Frank OO

stevea
28-05-2008, 07:48 PM
No broad bill, but the last 2 trips, I had some sort of sail fish/marlin/missile on a snapper floater and the neighbour hooked one the following trip. Both spat the hook when they launch themselves out of the water. Usually first thing we noticed was the line taking off and about 50meters from the boat out jumps a very long fish at a zillion miles an hour. Sort of gets the heart pumping.

Another trip last year on the banks, we saw this periscope(very large sail fish fin) patrolling around the back of the boat. Another trip prior to that I had a pilchard floater with a pink squid skirt taken by sail fish about 12mile from mooloolaba.

Have never had them on for more than 20 seconds and quite frankly I'm glad as I would hate to have an angry one up close to the boat.

ooglie74
28-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Very rare catch in queensland by a recreational angler.
Top catch,where off moreton did you catch it.

Cheers Troy

business class
29-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Sorry to be the one to say what i think here but, what does amaze me is that you caught it on a floating pillie, and buy the look of it you have a 13'6 surf rod with maybe a 600b alvey and buy the look of its a serious offshore vessel:-/ but why would you use a surf rod. hmmmmm sounds fishy to me, but well done if its lagit.

Fish Guts
31-05-2008, 04:49 PM
boys its legit. good catch zin zan

jeffo
31-05-2008, 04:53 PM
ok, ended up with this photo and others in an email yesterday saying the fish was from shelf. I would be interested to hear the real story regardless of what it is.

BrandonH
01-06-2008, 12:19 PM
I use to use the old Alvey surf setup for floaters a long time ago.. works very well as long as you don't have a canopy;) also use to cast pillies out with them around the markers for Mac's in the bay worked a treat!!

interesting catch thats for sure!! huge eye on him..

cheers
Brandon...

rando
01-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Is that just the light, or is the fish pretty banged up.?

air rider
01-06-2008, 01:35 PM
I know A few guys from the Gold Coast that trolled the shelf all night with squid and light sticks. They didn't get any broardies but did manage a record big eye tuna.

Smithy
02-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Is it off the vessel Borderline? That would explain the Alvey and why it might have been on the shelf as Jeffo alluded to.

Remember the one that was caught by a rec guy down off Straddie only a couple of years ago and posted on here?

Air Rider you aren't talking about the Black Watch Black Bart are you? This Bigeye came from the Seamounts 100Nm out.