PDA

View Full Version : Ekmek

Volvo
28-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Hokeydokes:-[ i know this food aint Fish related but need some help here tracking this recipe down...
Melbournites!!!do we have any onboard!!??..last place i tried some "Ekmek kataifi" was in a Greek coffee shop in Lonsdale Street along with a short black and the stuff was outa this world...
Mindya i dont really think it originally dates back to the greek cookbook as it may to a Turkish Recipe but have been searching high and low, not so much for the base of the recipe as the topping which is some kinda vanilla cream Topping???...
Could any Melbournites onboard please ask their Mommas, Aunties, Yaiya's(Grandmothers)or Neighbours and try get the recipe for me Please:-[ ???
Have three variouse recipes to it so far but none get close to the topping i tried there..
Recipes i have are a Custard vanilla cream topping using ye ole egg yellow /yokes for the custard side of it..Not bad but like i said "Aint the real Mcoy"..
Reason i ask the Melbournites is cause i think thats the last frontier for Greek "Zaharouplastia"(Greek sweets/cake shops ) Toungetwister too ey::) ...
If the request dont comply with the sites rules etc please feel free to delete n no hard feelings :)..
Cheers n thanks in advance ey..

TOLGA
28-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Gday Volvo
Its actually turkish I rang my mum and she said the easy way is to buy a packet of crumpets.

beat together a few eggs then dip the crumpets into the egg
melt some butter in a pan and cook each side until golden brown
in another pot pour 2 cups of water and 2 cups of sugar and a squeeze of lemon boil then let it cool once its cooled pour over the crumpets serve with cream or custard or jam or whatever

try it

Volvo
29-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Tolga, thanks for that matey . Mate could you please ak your Mom if she knows the "EKMEK KATAIFI" recipe?? as thats what i'm mainly after and the topping or cream side of it mainly..
As i said in my request post i allready have three recipies for it but none of them have the specific topping that i had with my serving in Melbourne..
Tell her i think?? its a form of patierre topping??..
Cheers mate and thanks for the effort..

TOLGA
29-05-2008, 08:52 PM
was the cream a little sour?

Volvo
29-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Be honest with you i cant quite rember:-/ ..All i know is that instead of a Kataifi base this one in particular was a backlava base(propably runout of kataifi base:)).
Just remember i liked it so much was gunna order seconds till i was reminded i was on a diet::) ...
Now getting back to the topping.. , twas nice n soft ,creamy,white n went down easy lol..
Cheers

TOLGA
30-05-2008, 06:16 PM
she said the traditional way is to make " Kaymuk" which is made from cows milk before its filtered so therefore its still has all the fats in it so you boil it and skim the layer on top.

the way she does it is whip cream with an electric beater till its fluffy ading icing sugar and a few drops of vanilla.

johnny roger
31-05-2008, 01:52 AM
hey Tolga. this may be a silly question, or it may not.....but are you from Tolga?

TOLGA
31-05-2008, 07:13 AM
Ha ha no mate i was born here, My parents come over from turkey 40 odd years ago but I do know of the town Tolga , The name is Turkish but not a popular name.

johnny roger
31-05-2008, 07:30 AM
hey tolga. no the reason i ask is that i live in a town called Tolga in queensland. just thought you were from the same town.
john

Volvo
04-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Cracked it!!..Did the Baklava based version rather than the kataifi n came out as i had hoped:)..
Tolga thanks for doing some sussin out for me ey and ask your Mom if she wants the recipe ide be happy to Pm it to you..
Cheers