PDA

View Full Version : fish scale in the Eye

Noelm
28-05-2008, 11:42 AM
had a very uncomfortable thing happen to me some time ago, my Son and I were Snapper Fishing and I got a Pilchard scale on my Eye, it sort of flipped on like a Contact Lens, Jesus it was a nightmare to get out/off, very irritating to say the least, I ended up sticking my Head in the Water and opened my eye and by miracle it just washed out, don't know if it was the right or wrong thing to do, but it worked, never want that to happen again.

Roo
28-05-2008, 11:49 AM
that's what I'd do Noelm. In future, when using pilchards, you should wear appropriate PPE to avoid this happening again.

Dirtysanchez
28-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Youch. I bet it would annoy you, and being PIllies go through hell before they are packed and purchased, there would be quite some bacteria in there to boot, so dunking in the brine was probably the best option, coz it would also rinse the eye.
Mind you, if this was in the Brisbane river, I'd have had 2nd thoughts on that :)

1st aid kits (good ones) usually have those little rubbery probe things for cleaning debris out of eyes, and a saline squirty tube, so that would have been my next offering.

Noelm
28-05-2008, 01:02 PM
hhmm looks like I need safety goggles, Steel capped Boots, gloves, ear muffs and long pants when I go, to make sure I am safe, baiting up will be a bit tricky though, with those gloves on. OH and a hard hat!

Raesen
28-05-2008, 01:30 PM
hhmm looks like I need safety goggles, Steel capped Boots, gloves, ear muffs and long pants when I go, to make sure I am safe, baiting up will be a bit tricky though, with those gloves on. OH and a hard hat!

Don't forget some sort of blue, red, green yellow or whatever colour induction card for baiting pilchard baits. ;)

Cheers
Pete

kingtin
28-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Noel, you forgot the scrote cup for when you're playing the big one ;) ;D

kev

Noelm
28-05-2008, 01:33 PM
geees no wonder I got stuff in my Eye, I only have half of the necessary safety gear, what good are flares and life jackets?

Dirtysanchez
28-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Best you throw in some of those attractive high vis vests too.. dunno what for, but OHS seem to have mandated them for every other thing a bloke does!!

Don't forget the 1st aid kit either.

petelaska
28-05-2008, 03:53 PM
I Might have to come out to do some job safety observations and get you to fill out some safe work procedures and throw in a couple of take 5's. won't have any time left to fish

Twisted_Pair
28-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Hey that's what happens when a risk assessment isn't done before proceeding with a work method statement and having the correct control measures in place, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla. ;D ;D ;D .

Handling pilchards - scale attack etc

Likelyhood: unlikely (could happen, but rare)

Consequencse: moderate (casualty treatment)

I'd only give it a 6 out of 7, with 1 being worst.

BTW that was a good idea to submerge your noggin.

Regards, T_P

Dicko
28-05-2008, 05:33 PM
You can't have enough safety gear. I'll lend you these

http://www.jonco48.com/blog/safetybootssq7.jpg

bundylundy
29-05-2008, 08:08 PM
definately the blue card for handling the blue pilchard.

Jeff.

SIRO
29-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Noel, you forgot the scrote cup for when you're playing the big one ;) ;D

Oooooooo needed one of them with a big Mahi Mahi one day.:o :o :o

Don't they just go balistic on a boat ,ouch.:-[ :-[ :-[

cqfreshie
29-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Creative footware Dicko!!!!!

johnny roger
30-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Noelm..Thankfully it didn't happen to your son! :(

revs57
30-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Don't see what the issue is Noel - you prayed - "Jesus this is a night mare" you experienced a miracle "It washed straight out" ::) Its a wonder you didn't walk home!;)

Noooo problem;D ;D ;D

Cheers

rhys

Noelm
02-06-2008, 11:35 AM
I thought about "Parting the Waters", but that has already been done!

revs57
02-06-2008, 02:22 PM
good one Noel!!!! but it could also have been, "don't try and take the scale out of ya brothers eye, when ya got a pillie in ya own!!!"

Cheers

Rhys