PDA

View Full Version : Beach Mooring

SCOTTYGC
28-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Anyone know the best way to Moor on the beach over night so i dont have to swim to the boat at high tide

i though i read about an elastic rope type set up you can buy or a knot that undose itself when you give it a tug

any help would be great

thanks

scotty

johnny roger
28-05-2008, 09:40 AM
hey scotty,
try this. http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/search.php?searchid=475657&pp=25
i was asking the same question back along, and someone suggested something like a pully system but i cant find that thread now. so this is the best i could find.
hope it helps.
John

Chimo
28-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Scotty

Anchor and chain as normal, remove warp from end of chain and fit a pulley block.

Pass anchor warp thru pulley and tie the ends of the warp together. Attach a paynter of suitable length ie say 2 or three times the depth of water in which your anchoring to the knotted ends of the warp and the other end of the paynter to the boat bow.

Lay your anchor run into the beach holding the two pieces of warp so the knot ends up on shore then pull the endless rope (apart from the knot) back out to the pulley block.

Tie off on land to another anchor (your spare) or a tree or whatever
Works for me

QED

Cheers
Chimo

cormorant
28-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Depends a lot on slope on beach

We anchor for and aft when at beaches overnight and always put out a good scope to prevent dragging. If there is good water depth instead of the elastic (never used it) we just put a heavy weight (spare anchor chain length knotted) tied on the bow anchor line so it is held a few feet off the bottom when hanging vertical and tie it off where you would like the boat to ride overnight. We then reverse back to the beach lifting spare chain weight off the bottom, tie off a second anchor to rear cleat and either tie off to a tree or anchor in the sand. Let out rope on the aft anchor line and the boat will pull off the beach as the weight sinks and pulls the boat back out and leave some slack for rising tide.

To get back on the boat just pull the beach anchor rope and boat wil come back to shore as the weight on the bow rope lifts off the bottom, tie it off on rear cleat , hop on in pretty shallow water ,get more cold beer off , hop off and uncleat - boat goes back out.

Don't know if the above makes sense written down but it works. There is a commercial product called anchor mate which yachties use that works on the same idea but is used to allow a shorter anchor scope, create better ride at anchor and smaller swing radius.

Cheers

Once you have done it once it is easy but doesn't work as well in really shallow sloped breaches and it can take a couple ogf goes to get right. If it blows up you may have to shorten the bow anchor rope.

Reel Nauti
28-05-2008, 10:29 AM
I lay down a good heavy anchor and this becomes my 'mooring'. A large float on the top of the mooring rope with a stainless ring attached. Tie one end of a long length of rope to the bow of the boat, pass the other end through the stainless ring and then tie that end to the stern of the boat. You now have an endless rope with the boat forming part of it. Feed the rope out as you go to shore, hop out, and pull the rope coming from the ring which will pull the boat back out to the mooring. Tie the rope off either on the beach or to another anchor.
Much the same as described by Cormorant.

Or sometimes, I will use two ropes. One from the bow through the stainless ring, and another tied to the stern. The bow rope is fed out as you approach shore. With this method you are actually tieing/anchoring the boat off on 2 points on the shore. Bow rope is pulled back through stainless ring to take boat back to mooring, then tied off. Stern rope is fed out, then tied off. This allows you to control the position of your boat.

A bit hard to explain but I hope you got the gidst of it!

Cheers

Dave

Noelm
28-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Nauti, that,s the method we use, works a treat, needs a bit of rope if you have a big tide range, but certainly works OK.