PDA

View Full Version : Northern 29's on kroozin'

revs57
27-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Swano and i accompanied Mark in his new 685 Cruisey Kroozin today. What a lovely piece of kit, set up with all the bling and a purpose built fishing machine. With only 10 hrs on the clock we headed from Manly Harbour around 5.30am to find the paddock flat and the northern access almost flat enough to ski across.

We headed to a mark on the northern 29's that has been good to us in the past, plenty of show but little go. We worked to the east and weest of that rock, worked all kinds of plastics and eventually conceded to bait, foul hooked heaps of unders on the placcies, and picked up sized squapper, justers, on bait. Moved on to another rock further up the system for a few nice moses and there was a very nosey spanish that eyed our baits on the drop but we couldn't intice him.

We moved north to tempest for much the same. We came home with a feed, but not much to rave about and certainly nothing worth a photo...the snapps must still be deep.

All in all a great day on the water...cracker conditions, a great day with a couple of good mates, loved the 685, nearly as good a ride as Flamin Riptide::) but I must say the 250 'zuke that was pushing us along is an animal!!!!

yep, the snapps must still be deep!

Thanks Mark and Swano for a great day

Cheers

Rhys

captain rednut
27-05-2008, 07:43 PM
hi rhys
i spent last nite at shallow tempest and tried deep too, we moved around and tried everything and today we fished around wide caloundra area and still only for a couple of keepers, i couldnt believe how quiet the fishing was today, i also noticed very few boats out today and didnt even see one last nite considering calm it was. cheers jim

revs57
27-05-2008, 07:50 PM
G'day Jim, yeh it was really quiet, probably the smallest neap tides for the year so not a lot of run. An d some 280 boats are at Fraser at the moment for little return so i understand...its all about phase of the moon and tide...I reckon the snapps are still in 80 mts plus but lets keep at it anyway!

cheers

Rhys

Frank OO
27-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Hi Rhys, About time you got into a classy boat. All it needs is a flaming paint job.

I absolutely love mine but twin 250s would have been a better fit.

Great day on the water beats a hard day's work.

Frank OO

Pual44
27-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Yeh, have to agree. Fished Deep Tempest Sunday. Turned out to be a glorious

day.

The biggest fsnapper we could find went about 1.5 kgs.

Plenty of little tikes but nothing of size except for the men in grey suits. Got

sharked 4 times. That is 4 more times than usual. Hope they piss off soon.

It was very quiet out there till lunch time. Ah well I'll just have keep going until

I get a big one.

Cheers

Fixation
27-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Hey Rhys,

Mate it must have been a glorious day on the water. I looked at the wind readings this morning and it sounded pan cake flat to me.
Bummer about the fish. At least you weren't getting bashed round in a sea though.
Sounds like you still caught a feed. Keep your chin up buddy. The knobs are only just round the corner.

Talk to you soon.
Craig.

wags on the water
28-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Gday Rhys,
It certainly was a great day on the water. A real shame the biguns still aren't playing the game, although Brett did get bricked by a monster of the deep. We came back in on dusk at speed as the conditions improved a lot.

Cheers,

Wags

revs57
28-05-2008, 06:41 AM
I reckon Mark is a bit too conservative for a flame job on his new cruisey Frank...I was amazed at how much like the Riptide it felt in the water, certainly the glass gave it a slightly softer/supple feel, but in terms of attitude and behaviour very similar. My Riptide has a planing plank so it rides high in the bum, when I checked out the hull shape on the cruisey, it has very similar planing plank, similar V and dead rise - I've come away very impressed with both boats. Often you wonder about the difference between plate and glass, you hear the retoric, but in comparison, there was little difference in my opinion although i would expect the platey to feel "tighter" - it would be interesting to compare them on a rougher day. Mate, Marks boat was pretty punchy with one 250 'zuke, are you pushing yours with 2? It must be a weapon!!!

Yeah Pual, its just a matter of keeping at it, doing the stuff that you know to be right, eventually they will chew. I've wondered if all the nutrients in the water from the summer rain has caused the bait to come in, and they are just not hungry - but no one is getting onto them from all reports so they must still be in the deep. I understand that snapper don't migrate so much north/south, but traverse East/west from deep to shallow as they do their thing.

Craig it was a cracker of a day, the cruisey clipped along easily at 50klm/hr @4200 rpm, returning around 1.2 klm/litre according to the gauges. Not too bad for a new motor. I would expect it to improve as it loosens up. Mark sure has it set up nicely.
Swano and I said on the way home how good it was to be out on a good day, not getting knocked around. Yep, we'll keep at it. Have to do a trip soon mate, before number one deckie arrives. Once he arrives, everything will change!!!!

Yeah Wags, the larger variety are still shy, where did you guys head?

Cheers

rhys

backlash08
28-05-2008, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the report Rhys, a little suprising that the snapps arnt around yet and yes the CC are a nice thing arnt they!
Good to hear the +ive report on the 250 Suke, that whay the new fisher will have on it in about 12 weeks

Cheers

Craig

dayoo
28-05-2008, 08:18 AM
Rhys,

Frank and I fished on "Baitrunner" off the southern end of Frazer 40 nautical miles out last Sunday for average catch of reefies. No snapps or pearlies there at the moment.
Will have to get you out on "Alexander" the weapon for a real ride with the twin 250's opened up its like a rocket sled.

rat_catcher
28-05-2008, 08:24 AM
.........and certainly nothing worth a photo...
How about some piccies of the boat then? We need something to drool over! ;D

rat_catcher
28-05-2008, 08:29 AM
......the cruisey clipped along easily at 50klm/hr @4200 rpm, returning around 1.2 klm/litre according to the gauges. Not too bad for a new motor. I would expect it to improve as it loosens up. Mark sure has it set up nicely.
That is 27 knots @ 4,200rpm for 0.65 NM/L

On my 702L with a Suzuki DF250 I get almost the same performance, although about a knot slower at 26knots, but the revs and fuel usage is spot on. My boat is probably heavier thus the loss of the knot of speed, but the engine is also nicely run-in, so the fuel consumption is on a par.

Beautiful engine these babies!

Far side
28-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Thanks for coming out Rhys and sharing my new acquisition. It was a challenging fishing day and we did all of the right things for little return but still rewarding.
I am totally impressed with the Garmin sounder and with the exception of bottom discrimination I would hate to admit that it is a better unit than the Koden we had the power pretty low for high definition and it will be interesting to see how it performs in much deeper water.
Swano was good value and an excellent deckie good company and is welcome on my boat any time thanks for the cleanup guys.

Interesting to see that animal with 2 by 250 on the back that would really get up and motor. Not sure if I would like the fuel bill though but a really nice boat

Outsider1
28-05-2008, 09:55 AM
For info, a friend has a Nooscat 3000 powered by 2 by 250DFs. Last time we were out it was cruising at 27knots @ 4,000 revs and sucking 65/67 litres/hour combined. We used about 170 litres for a day out on the 29s and 35s.

Cheers

Dave

wags on the water
28-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Rhys,

We first went to the bait grounds but failed to boat any, so off to the 29's, 35's then to the 42's.

Cheers,
Wags

backlash08
28-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Mark,
Great to see that the new baby is in action, I reckon you would have a smile a mile wide about now!

cheers

Craig

Far side
28-05-2008, 05:01 PM
thanks craig I feel pretty humbled to own such a fine piece of equipment

backlash08
28-05-2008, 05:13 PM
any pics of it Mark?

TimiBoy
28-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Mark, is it an Outsider or an Explorer? I have an Outsider, and she's the best boat I've ever owned. A humbling experience indeed. 250 Verado, drag you off, man. You ain't got a chance!!8-)

She's also the ONLY boat I've ever owned...;D

rubba
28-05-2008, 07:18 PM
mark it is a mean machine buddy

revs57
29-05-2008, 05:28 AM
Thanks Wags, I reckon we saw another CC out there on the way home - must've been you fellas?

G'day Barry, the fella's on Fraser have been scratching around a bit too. I talked to Greg last night, he said the found one new region further to the south that really produced some good Reds but is was an isolated reef patch he sounded up. Sounds like its been tough all around lately. Yep, I certainly wouldn't turn down an opportunity for a trip on that weapon Alexander (is that short for Alexander the Great!) with Pepe, you and Frank the fishing machine...I reckon it would be awesoooommmmeeeee as the skip put the hammer down! Just shoot me a PM and let me know when you need another deckie ;)

G'day timi, its an explorer and a lovely outfit,

yeash dale a real mean machine - purpose built for fishing

wags on the water
29-05-2008, 06:48 AM
Rhys,
I dropped a 7" nuc chook and a 7" bass assasin over the side at the 42's and have to say there were no takers on the plastics. It isn't easy SP fishing without my usual rod. I also tried jigging with the 300g jigs ----- nothing. All fish taken on baits.

Wags

revs57
29-05-2008, 06:52 AM
Mate between us all we must've run the gamet of offerings in sp, 7" in all the usual fav colours, 5" in the chartrues and black and chook, paddle tails, grubs, minnows - we certainly changed it up looking for the "right" thing - certainly bait was the more successful, but we didn't let the team down on the SP's all together

cheers

Rhys

TimiBoy
29-05-2008, 06:58 AM
Yep, I reckon you all should stop using plastics. They're contributing to the demand... and therefore the price... of oil!

See, it's the damn fisherfolk driving the oil price Globally with their lures. And it doesn't even work!;)

revs57
29-05-2008, 07:14 AM
lol you're a crack up Tim, we all know its you truckies!!!

Mate, i gotta be serious for a moment, Often think of you and the other owner operators, and don't read w@nkers - I'm talkin about blokes who run their own trucks and the fuel nonesence that is going on - hope its not hittin ya too hard - its OPEC and a stupid governement who complies with their issues in a nation where we produce enough for domestic needs, who are yeilding billions in taxes, who say they have no silver bullet, who are the real w@nkers. I'm not havin a crack at Labour - I just don't get it. We need our governemtn to really offer some leadership in this issue before the little bloke goes to the wall - glad to have got that off me chest - now back on topic!

Ahh fishing, yep that's it, blame the fisho's - the epa and the greenies do!

Cheers

Rhys

TimiBoy
29-05-2008, 08:12 AM
Many thanks for your sympathy! I'm fortunate though. I work in an industry where to a large extent we can pass these increases on to you, our Dear Consumer. We prep the sites for your new houses, renovate you gardens, and build your roads. Because there aren't enough of us there isn't huge competition. It's an arena that needs a lot of skill and a lot of money to get started.

Just the way I like it!

The Guys who are hurting BIG time are the transport guys. The pricing is largely set by big players (LinFox and the like) and their Subbies take it or leave it.

Leave it = broke.
Take it = 14 hour days for 2/10 of stuff all return.

I don't know the answer on fuel pricing, but I strongly suspect the issue is much related to speculators, rather than wholly a demand v supply issue. There are Supertankers full of fuel sitting in the Gulf waiting to go, bought some time ago, waiting for the price to hit point X before they sail...

DALEPRICE
29-05-2008, 06:49 PM
well done guys, any day on the water that is calm with good
company is a top day in my books.

Rhys, glad to hear im not the only one struggling
the last few trips out. Cal wide has been realy quiet
the last few trips making long days.

top stuff and welcome to the club............Do it in class, do it in Glass.....lol
Just kiddin

Getout
30-05-2008, 03:30 PM
lol you're a crack up Tim, we all know its you truckies!!!

Mate, i gotta be serious for a moment, Often think of you and the other owner operators, and don't read w@nkers - I'm talkin about blokes who run their own trucks and the fuel nonesence that is going on - hope its not hittin ya too hard - its OPEC and a stupid governement who complies with their issues in a nation where we produce enough for domestic needs, who are yeilding billions in taxes, who say they have no silver bullet, who are the real w@nkers. I'm not havin a crack at Labour - I just don't get it. We need our governemtn to really offer some leadership in this issue before the little bloke goes to the wall - glad to have got that off me chest - now back on topic!

Ahh fishing, yep that's it, blame the fisho's - the epa and the greenies do!

Cheers

Rhys

Dunno what you blokes are so worried about. Kev's Fuelwatch is gonna bring the price down at least 2c/litre.
Ha bloody ha!

:end:

Far side
30-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Mark, is it an Outsider or an Explorer? I have an Outsider, and she's the best boat I've ever owned. A humbling experience indeed. 250 Verado, drag you off, man. You ain't got a chance!!8-)

She's also the ONLY boat I've ever owned...;D
MAAATE

Tell you what we both put 50 litres in the boat and then we will do a 50 k race

See you at the end ;D

TimiBoy
30-05-2008, 04:44 PM
MAAATE

Tell you what we both put 50 litres in the boat and then we will do a 50 k race

See you at the end ;D

Make it 100 and you're on. We'd both be towed home on 50! What's your top speed?

And yes, I'd see you at the end. I imagine I'll have the kettle hot and the scones warm by the time you arrive (or the wife will, anyway...);D;D;D

Riptide_45
30-05-2008, 05:31 PM
hey ryhs how r u? no fraser this year for u? mate we got to organise a trip out together soon

revs57
31-05-2008, 05:50 AM
G'day Troy,

Yeah mate, had plenty on. No didn't do Fraser this year, looks like a good decision, but have missed not being there with the crew.
Pt Lookout to the cathedrals or at least find some ground around the front. Haven't been down that way before. wondering if we should try and get a trip in before the current starts to roar

What do ya reckon...

BTW, how's the old bloke going?

cheers

Rhys

Riptide_45
31-05-2008, 07:55 AM
yeh we do hav a couple of points down that way. would luv to hav more of a look around down that way. there is plenty of good ground. yeh he is going good hey. wanting to sell this boat we got at the moment to get our new riptide. all in good time though i suppose