PDA

View Full Version : trim

macman
27-05-2008, 12:16 PM
I have a 4m tinny with a 15hp 4 stroke. When I have it on full throttle, the nose is kept very low. This is because the engine is ‘trimmed’ so that it is parallel to the transom which slopes back. I see there is a pin there and the possibility to make it so the engine is more vertical rather than leaning back. This would make the nose lift a bit more under power. I imagine that this would be a good thing as it would help with planing. Is that true? Anything to watch out for? Is it good to have the nose up a bit?

Roughasguts
27-05-2008, 01:25 PM
The boat will be faster the more level it is, provided the whole! of the hull is lifting out the water. Think of it as a ski.

A hull that is planing, or too nose up is creating more drag by having the arse end of the boat dragging in hole created by going to slow, badly balanced or badly trimmed.

Plus your forward visibility is better the lower the nose.

Cheers.

UNCLE NUGGY
27-05-2008, 01:34 PM
macman
sounds like your plouging rather than planning.going up a pinhole or 2 should make it better.to much trim & she will loose grip while turning.experiment 1 pin position at a time.
cheers
UN

Noelm
27-05-2008, 01:34 PM
probably the best option is to try it at different settings, see how it goes, that way you will know for sure what trim setting it needs to be on.