PDA

View Full Version : Bound for Lake Monduran

Pete62
27-05-2008, 11:24 AM
OK guys n girls give me all your secrets!! We r planning on a Monduran assult in early November, looking like 4 guys 2 boats for a week. I have not chased barra b4 so need it all - Lures - water temps - secret spots - Lunar cycles - contacts in the area - camping options - the lot. Both boats r well set up, GPS, Sounders & Electrics. Thanks in advance, Pete62.

flairj
27-05-2008, 12:07 PM
As far as gear goes, do a search of this forum as everything you need to know is in here.

The number one best thing to do to make your chances the best without a doubt is GO OUT WITH A GUIDE the first day of the trip. It is money that could not be spent better. These guys are on the water more than anyone else and when NOBODY is catching fish these guys usually still are. even if you don't get a fish, the information and confidence that comes with that information is invaluable. You could spent hundreds or even thousands for a trip like you're doing so $150 per guy (about) for two at a time for four or five hours isn't much at all really.

The other nugget of advice I will give you is save all the money you might spend on lures where you are and see what is working for that week and get it from Foxies Barra Havoc in Gin Gin. Week to week the may be going for different things and after going out with a guide you will know what those things are. You could spend hundreds on lures and I can almost tell you for sure that they'll be biting on the things you didn't buy (murphy's law). You've got hardbodies they're going off on plastics, you've got plastics, they're going off on bibless slow sinkers, you've got bibless, they're going on giant suspending swimbait smothered in shimano peanut butter.

Josh

Pete62
27-05-2008, 12:25 PM
NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT. Two absolute pearls of advise. Thanks heaps Josh. Pete62

black_sheep
28-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Pete,

Josh has said it all. Guides are worth their wait in gold and you'll learn more in a session then any other means.

Foxie is also 'the man' and is more than willing to share his knowledge and info on where to fish and what's been working.

Thirdly, just get out there and flog it until your arms fall off (talkin about fishing of course);D .

Try and read as many posts as possible - it's all there for the taking.

November is a great month so you guys have a great chance.

I will be there in 2 weeks time so will post a report.

Good luck mate.

Pete62
28-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks 4 that, I'm gettin' the good oil now, geez it's gonna take ages for November to roll around. Good luck with your trip I look forward to your posts and Pics.

black_sheep
28-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Definitely post a report and hopefully the pics won't be of donuts and instead of few metrey's. Start tying knots, upgrading lures and pumping iron Pete, Nov will be around before you know it.

China
28-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Hi Pete have just returned from 4 day trip at Monduran, only caught 6 fish this time, but all over a meter. We normally fish early November for a week,and stay in one of the houses for rent,approx cost $1000.00 for seven days. If you are prepared to camp bring along a air conditioner because it can get very hot;D during the day. There are plenty of fish to be caught,if you want to troll there is not much need to fish outside the basin, if you want to throw hard bodies or plastics area B is the place go.The water level at the moment is around 33% but by November it will probally be around 26% if there is no more inflow. We find in the hard body lures diving depth around 12 15 feet for the main basin and any soft plastic in the sticks work.Last November we caught and released seventy two barra for four boats over the week. If Bass is your go as well,there are some monsters in there as well. As has already been mentioned it is not much use giving you the colours that have worked just drop in and say hello to Fitz in Gin Gin . Have a great trip I will be there in a house from the 24Oct until the 31 Of Oct this year.

Pete62
29-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the info China, much appreciated. The house u mentioned, is that in the Caravan park or private? do u have a contact #. 72 Barra? now that's got me pumped, awesome. I look forward to seeing your post from your next trip. I do love to catch bass too so i will be chasing them as well although if the Barra r on it will be hard to put the big gear away. Cheers, Pete

themissus
29-05-2008, 01:24 PM
All above is great info Pete. Practice accurate casting, it really pays off when fishing in the sticks. Keep a close eye on what is happening in the reports section, 2 weeks out from you trip. Also be prepared, it's addictive. Barra fishing can produce the highest of the highs and the lowest of the lows.

Good luck!!
Cheers Kim.

Pete62
29-05-2008, 01:51 PM
hey, Kim, thanks for that, addictive I can handle, love gettin' out there. Talk about lows, got tomorrow off and right on schedule the bloody southerly has kicked in, oh well up the creek instead and annoy the jack population. Cheers, mate. Pete.

China
29-05-2008, 03:54 PM
The house is for rent at the dam, they have three to rent out as well as four cabins. Check their web site for prices. I FISH THE Northern Territory every year after the run off and have caught plenty of Barra but not too many over a meter, the good thing about Monduran nearly every fish is over a meter and the cost to fish NT is around $4000.00 all up for three weeks,:( Monduran with a few mates for a week around 400.00 all up, good on Monduran;DBy the way I live on Mt Tamborine Gold Coast.

Pete62
30-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Thanks again China, good info. U mentioned u r doing a trip late October, i have put it out to my crew and most of them have other commitments, work or family, that time of the year. Can I ask, how many r doing the October trip with u and would u be open to hooking up with me and perhaps one other, if it justs ends up being me I would be able to offer a well set up boat to fish from ,4.5mt Seajay, GPS, Sounder, Electric, and I am told I am NOT a total D**khead. Cheers, Pete. Buy the way, I live in Coffs Harbour and all my wifes family live on the Goldie, so we r up that way quite a bit.

China
30-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Hi Pete this October trip is fully booked eight guys and four boats already. I will be fishing Monduran sometime in Early February 09. We fished that time also this year and caught eight Barra in two days, then the rains came that put so much water in Monduran and dropped the water temp by 10 degrees, bye, bye, Barra:-[ I camped there that time in Feb on a powered site, still darn hot at that time of the year. But the tinnies taste good after a hot day on the water:P , and the nights are cool, good time for casting soft plastics after dark around the edges.

Pete62
30-05-2008, 11:46 AM
No worries, thanks anyway and good luck. Pete.

BR65
30-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks again China, good info. U mentioned u r doing a trip late October, i have put it out to my crew and most of them have other commitments, work or family, that time of the year. Can I ask, how many r doing the October trip with u and would u be open to hooking up with me and perhaps one other, if it justs ends up being me I would be able to offer a well set up boat to fish from ,4.5mt Seajay, GPS, Sounder, Electric, and I am told I am NOT a total D**khead. Cheers, Pete. Buy the way, I live in Coffs Harbour and all my wifes family live on the Goldie, so we r up that way quite a bit.

hey pete, dont be worried bout fronting up on your pat malone mate, I fish up there by myself probably 90% of the time, makes it more interesting when you hook a big girl in the trees lol.

Steve B
30-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Brian is right, He has been leading the tackle count on barra fishing solo for the last year or so.....dont be worried about fishin by yourself....better that way sometimes. someone to take the pics is alway handy though!!!

steve

Pete62
02-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks 4 that BR, will go on my pat if I have too but would prefer some company, bloody long drive from Coffs, and I will need someone to take the photos. BTW good luck in the next game, u guys will need all the help u can get, maybe u could bring Wally off the bench. Pete

eotbmg
02-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Pete
I can organise something around late October for a fish, so you wont be on your pat. There is always a few crew that we fish with so you are more than welcome to tag along with us, Navi provides the doughnuts-Brian supplies the turps.
Ben

BR65
02-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks 4 that BR, will go on my pat if I have too but would prefer some company, bloody long drive from Coffs, and I will need someone to take the photos. BTW good luck in the next game, u guys will need all the help u can get, maybe u could bring Wally off the bench. Pete

the way lockie fired the other nite pete, I reckon we are in good hands mate.
theres allways someone on here heading up for a fish in spring/summer, that part would be sweet, bit Im hearing what your saying about a solo drive from Coffs, that would suck

Pete62
03-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Hey Ben, thanks for that champ, keep me in the loop if u r planning a trip, I can get away pretty much whenever, I will do the same. BR, I am sure I can hook up a crew from Ausfish, as u can see Ben has just put his hand up, bloody awesome fellas!!!!. I hope Lockie does fire up, he can turn a game around and to be honest, how badly u guys played last game and only to be beaten by a few points, I won't be bettin' the house on NSW. What about big Wendell, he is back in first grade this weekend is he getting a start? As long as he keeps that big snokel of his out of the recreational substances he would go OK. Pete

BR65
03-06-2008, 08:13 PM
yup, I hear run on start, against the broncs, Im glued to the recliner this friday nite.
Mind you, against the young flyer kemp, he will need to be on his toes
Spose if it all gets to hard he can allways lean over the sideline and compare notes with Andrew
best I order the pizza and chill down the beer now

darylive
07-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Pete,

All good the drum there mate :bulb2: especially about talking to Foxie at Gin Gin:thumbsup:. I live on the Sunshine Coast where there are tackle shops every where but some of the best buys I have got are from Foxies so don't be concerned about the prices there. Last trip I bought a Pflueger rod from them much cheaper than anywhere else. John and Jenny both know their stuff: (07) 4157 3600. The cabins are great if you can get one. I camp (poor bugger me), the camp facilities are great. The camp kitchen is top notch, kettle, toaster, micro wave, hot plates, BBQs, etc. all under a big covered open air shelter with plenty of room. Don't be concerned about flying solo I regularly go on my own, I enjoy the peace and freedom, but there camp kitchen is a meeting place to have a drink compare stories / lies etc. there is always company if you want it. On that point, if you do enjoy a camp :sleeping: don't pitch too close to the kitchen / bar because there is regularly rowdy yobbos :2vrolijk_08:who can't sleep because of the evil spirits (the bottled ones) and don't know when to shut the #%$ up!:hammer:

As for the drum on gear if you haven't played with the big BARRA before be aware they play hard :sneaky:. 30lb braid if you want to hang on to them and at least 40 or more mono up in the sticks. And make sure your lures have decent trebles or they will get straightened.:evilgrin:

As per previous posts it will be bloody hot :angryfire: there in November especially for a cockroach! bring a decent hat.:cowboy: If you do camp you will want a big tarp over the lot to keep the sun off. there are some shady spots but not many and first in best dressed.

You will have a phat time just pray it doesn't rain that week:uhoh:.

They have a display at the camp of barra in a big aquarium and there. There is also a release compound on the dam to let the big ones go in if you don't want them the locals then take them for meals on wheels.:chef:

Might see you there. Nissan Patrol, quintrex 20 Yamaha, Minn kota on the bonnet, maroon deck.8-)

Pete62
10-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Darylive, mate thanks heaps for the info, i really appreciate it. I now have a mate hooked up for the trip, geez my mates have their prorities all wrong, work???, we will be up there from the 25th October for a week. As u mentioned I am sure Foxie will get a visit. When is your next trip? I will do a post as my trip gets close to see who else will be up there at that time. Cheers, Pete.

Whitto
10-06-2008, 10:54 AM
G'Day Pete, Mate just give us all a heads up on this forum as u get towards the end of October, anyone who is heading up to Mondy will generally let u know and a discription of Vehicle and Boat and area where they will be camping, 99.9% of the blokes and girls on this forum would be happy for u to join in.........Whitto Ps All the replys have covered Where Why When and How...You'll have a ball

Pete62
10-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Cheers Whitto, Have got a number of messages from guys going up about the same time, will def put a post up as it draws closer, can't wait. Pete. PS; shame about Lockie being on the bench for tomorrow night.................... whatcha gonna do now?

Whitto
10-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Cheers Whitto, Have got a number of messages from guys going up about the same time, will def put a post up as it draws closer, can't wait. Pete. PS; shame about Lockie being on the bench for tomorrow night.................... whatcha gonna do now? Undoubtly we will miss Lockyer any team would, But Prince is a very capable operator the difference between him and Lockyer is Prince can't defend like Locky and will be targeted for a bit of attention......We'll win no worries the cockroaches have had their 15 min of fame.......;D......Whitto PS: QUEENSLANDER