PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Lights - What protection?

Trout_Bum
27-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Hi people,

Reading this part of the site really upsets me. I understand that kids will be kids and if you leave things lying around there is a chance that it will go missing. That's the way it is nowadays. However to have to contend with people patrolling car parks and homes to rob them for fishing gear is not something I am used to.

Which brings me to my question. Being not as mechanically minded as most, what is the best way to lessen the chances that my trailer lights will go missing? Are there special bolts that can be used. Is welding an option? Can they be mounted into a small custom made steel/ally box that is then welded to the trailer to restrict access to the vulnerable bolts? Do you fill the bolt heads with some sort of epoxy? Do you file them down?

Please offer any solutions that you may have. I have just shelled out some serious dough for some hella 2379s for an upcoming trip. I work seven days a week, most weeks of the year but get three months off in winter so am about to head off into the abyss and want to maximise the chance of returning to the boat ramp and a roadworthy trailer each day.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
TBA

Trout_Bum
27-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Sorry - Meant to post in Stolen section.....

Chimo
27-05-2008, 11:34 AM
HI TBA

There were some threads on this particularly as it applied to trailers.

The idea that appealed to me ws to coat the trailer, lights and winch in grease or another attractant that that then got coated in dust dirt and other crud to make the whole lot less attactive. I think the icing on the cake would be to drape bits of fish guts and other putrid bits over the most attractive items to make them even less attractive.

Using Datadots and an engraver with the Qld police ID number put on varioups pieces also may not hurt esp if youR a QLD RESIDENT which I have no knowledge of........

Cheers
Chimo

PS enjoy the trip maybe you also need to get a Qld Cattle dog / Heeler out of a pound or somewhere and chain it to the trailer while your out. Dont forget to leave it some water tho.

Outsider1
27-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Sorry - Meant to post in Stolen section.....

That was where your post was originally. One of the Mods must have moved it.

Cheers

Dave

Trout_Bum
27-05-2008, 12:09 PM
LOL If i cant remember where I 'parked' my post - what chance have I got with my trailer?

Thanks for the info fellas. I am going to spot weld the bolts and fill the heads with something time consuming to remove.

We recently had 20 fly fishing outfits pinched from our place and I am currently a little bit sensitive when it comes to stuff being stolen. In fact I just started parking my Hornet trophy in the shed rather than out by my car and have put in an alarm system with motion detectors as well as heaps of security lights. Costly but some piece of mind.

Apologies if this has been covered before. I searched the archives and couldn't find much - granted I only went thru the first 5 pages of results.

Thanks again.

TB

Scott nthQld
27-05-2008, 02:58 PM
MT trailer lights aren't water proof and therefore must be removed each time I back down the ramp, I put the lights in behind the front seat (I drive a ute) where they are out of sight. An extra couple of minutes at the ramp each time will ensure the lights aren't stolen (unless they break into your car, but even then, its a smash and grab and they won't spend time looking for things).

To attach the lights to the trailer, its just a peice of RHS welded to the trailer with a hole drilled where a loccking pin screws in. For extra safety on the road (to make sure they don't come loose and fall out) a split pin is slotted thorugh a hole drilled through the back of the light bracket

baitwaster
27-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Most bolt suppliers sell security fixings.
They have 3 bladed screwdrivers and star drives etc.
Anyone can buy them, and the necessary bits,
but it is unlikely many would-be thieves carry a wide
array of bits for security fixings around with them.

ozscott
27-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Leave a German Shepherd attached to it...I do it at home and might end up doing it at the ramp in cool weather:)

Davey1
27-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Maybe stay up one night with a cricket bat ;D