PDA

View Full Version : Great day to be alive

Frank OO
26-05-2008, 10:51 PM
It was 3 o’clock and the wind had stopped. I didn’t get out on the weekend so why not now. The water……… The wind………. The waves ……… It was absolute magic. I don’t know why we took the sea Anchor because there was no wind.

We arrived at the Cape Moreton at about 4:30 after a very fast trip.( Not quite 45Knots Nigel, but very close… ) The Cape was riddled with live bait all over the place but the birds were more interested in us than the small Jellybeans smashing through the bait. We did see one monster Tuna leaping out of the water and for a second we thought it was a Dolphin. It would be hard to estimate but maybe 50kg. I have never seen one that big before.

Anyway we threw the plastics around and I was immediately hit by a cod. No Snapper to speak of except a couple of little 1Kg specials that went straight back. As darkness set we tied on some gang hooks without weight and believe it or not I actually used Bait---Pillies to be exact.

Well the place went wild. I missed so many great fish but I also caught a few.

The fish of the day was a massive Red Bass.

It was great to be alive.

Frank OO

scrubba01
26-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Looks like a great afternoon Frank. Those red bass sure can pull, he's a good size for around this area.

-spiro-
26-05-2008, 11:43 PM
i heard you on the radio yesturday Frank i was putting in my radio. The fish sounded scarce by all reports out there. Good call on today though. Top fish and pic's

ROBENDOG
27-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Great report, pics, and fish.
Ta

backlash08
27-05-2008, 06:30 AM
Frank, conditions look great + nice red bass!
cheers

Craig

ooglie74
27-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Hey frank looks like a cracker day Iwas at home looking at the weather wisin gI was there.
Dont tell me scotts started something by having you use bait the other week mate.

Cheers Troy

jackextracter
27-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Great bass mate good stuff.

Frank OO
27-05-2008, 10:27 AM
scrubba01 (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/member.php?u=49799)
“Those red bass sure can pull, he's a good size for around this area.” It had just become dark and the moon wasn’t up as yet. I had just cast my unweighted Pilchard ahead of my drift when a the line started screaming off the reel with the bail open. When I closed the bail I thought I must have got tangled in a submarine. When you say those Red Bass can pull you mean PULL!!!. He had me in the reef a few times but each time I let the line go slack and he was out in the open again.

Must have been my lucky day. That was the one and only I have ever caught and I want to do it again. My Egrell “Big Berth” was “High Sticked” and Bending to the max..

Hi Chris, Don’t be bashful mate you can call me any time..

Hi Troy,
“Don’t tell me Scotts started something by having you use bait the other week mate.” It has been a long time since I have used “Bait” but I know when I am beaten. I realize that if you want to catch fish at night you do have to use bait. Sorry Eric but I had to. I wanted to have the feel of the Egrell with the capability to cast the pillie a long way unweighted. “Big Bertha and the S10 were ideal for the job. Never thought that the Egrell Rods would be so versatile.

Frank OO

Big_Ren
27-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Awesome Frank. When it gets dark, go to the dark side.

Cheers
Paul

Frank OO
27-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Hi Paul,

That's it. Finally you have made sense.

Frank OO

scrubba01
27-05-2008, 11:45 AM
I have caught a small bass at the Cape before but larger models up north they hit like a freight train and fight all the way to the top.

reel scream
27-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Nice going Frank. Sat night i'm sure you said you were not going but given the weather how couldn't you.
That would make it two trips in a row using bait- maybe the rest of us might be able to find some chooks at the takle shops now.
Pitty that bass wasn't a jack.
Speak soon.
PS will have to organise that battery.
Cheers Scott

snapperbasher
27-05-2008, 01:09 PM
hey Frank,
I thought it was you up there yesterday I was the cuise craft 550 explorer up there near you last night.We ended up with a good bag too i will put a report up later.

Cheers Lochie

Frank OO
27-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Hi Lochie,

You were sitting very near to an evening spot of mine but I didn"t want to crowd you.

If the nights are like last night, I think I could be converted. What an absolute blast when everything that hits you feels like a freight train.

Frank OO

snapperbasher
27-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Yeah it was a beautiful night allright . That spot fishes well in the evening we have been doing allright there lately but like you said keeping them out of the reef is a problem.

Cheers lochie

Frank OO
27-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Hi Scotty,

Don't tell everyone that I was using bait. I actually thought it may have been a Jack but the deep pit under the eyes gave it away.

Frank OO

eotbmg
27-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Looks like you made a speedy recovery from the sickness that was keeping you home from work on monday morning, one day i will have to tell your boss about your antics!!!!!!!!!!
Ben

Scalem
27-05-2008, 05:45 PM
So Frank, this is your way of keeping me cheerful despite not being able to get out for a fish lately, by looking at your post ??:-/ :o

Well, thanks heaps!!! I really appreciate it!! :P ;D ;D

A wise man once said, "those with local knowledge find better ways to spend time than driving long distances for little gain";D

Congrats, that is amazing fishing!

Scalem

Poodroo
27-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Wow. So how come it is never that fantastic when I am onboard HMAS Frank OO?::) AH well I am not complaining. I still have some nice fillets from the last trip out with you but they are getting very light on. Might be time to book in for the next trip perhaps. ;) Well done for having another good time on the water.

Poodroo

Liberty
27-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Hi Troy, It has been a long time since I have used “Bait” but I know when I am beaten. I realize that if you want to catch fish at night you do have to use bait. Sorry Eric but I had to. I wanted to have the feel of the Egrell with the capability to cast the pillie a long way unweighted. “Big Bertha and the S10 were ideal for the job. Never thought that the Egrell Rods would be so versatile.

Oh how the Mighty have Fallen!

;D

Nah, I'm as jealous as can be Frank. With a early return from last weekend with a sicky on board and this weekend looking out of the question, it may be long wait between fish.

Good on ya for getting stuck into them.

Even on *bait*.

Nigel

Fishbait
27-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Awesome fish Frank - gotta love that! Anyway, always a pleasure to read your reports. Cheers, Darren.

Frank OO
27-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Ben,

I was feeling a bit dizzy in the morning in fact I thought it felt a bit like I was seasick. I just wanted to compare the two feelings.

Talk to your boss about taking a sicky.. Hmmm. No you had better not she may make you work 7 days a week.

Nigel,

I thought you may have got into me about
" We arrived at the Cape Moreton at about 4:30 after a very fast trip.( Not quite 45Knots Nigel, but very close… )"

Frank OO

Frank OO
27-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Poodroo, You can come this Saturday. Just take the boat yourself!!!

Frank OO

Pistol_P
27-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Great Pics Frank.

How common are red bass down this way.....Never see to many...?

Pete

Fixation
27-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Great read Frank. That Bass is a beauty. Well done mate.
Love the pics too. Thanks for the read.

Craig.

Frank OO
27-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Hi Pete,

This is the first I have seen or caught. I believe there are some small ones around but they are not seen this big down here. That may well be because they are not caught. I think I was very lucky to get him up out of the coral.

I have seen hundreds in Vanuatu. They come up to feast on the scraps that the tour boats throw overboard.

Frank OO

reel scream
27-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Hi Scotty,

Don't tell everyone that I was using bait. .

Frank OO
Mate you mentioned it before me;D .Forgot i told Troy ( bloody amber stuff).

Can i book you in to come with me on the 27th June? Midday till ?late. Its a friday so let yourself know(the Boss) your having the day off- weather permitting.

Artificials- to get BAIT, then bait therafter;) . You want a jew hey.

You in Troy?

Cheers Scott

Liberty
27-05-2008, 11:53 PM
Nigel,

I thought you may have got into me about
Quote:
" We arrived at the Cape Moreton at about 4:30 after a very fast trip.( Not quite 45Knots Nigel, but very close… )"
Frank OO

Ah c'mon Franko, you don't think I'd bite at something like that? Anyway we all know that I *rarely* go over 42 ...

;D ;D ;D

Anyway you think anything over 20 is going quick ... must be getting old ...

reel scream
28-05-2008, 12:16 AM
[quote=Liberty;830094]Ah c'mon Franko, you don't think I'd bite at something like that? Anyway we all know that I *rarely* go over 42 ...

;D ;D ;D

Sorry Nigel, 2 weeks agoish i pulled over the amb as i saw you going 45+ under the bridge;D . Nice to see. Nil causualties. No one else around (especially Troy- rang him and he was working;D .

Cheers Scott

revs57
28-05-2008, 06:20 AM
Hey Frank, its not the rod that is versatile its the fisho using it...necessity is the mother of invention! I ended up live baiting with my s10 yesterday!, they are a brute of a rod!

Good to see you recovered from the Bundy trip - nice to get some good fish in the box

Cheers

Rhys

Liberty
28-05-2008, 08:20 AM
[quote=Liberty;830094]Ah c'mon Franko, you don't think I'd bite at something like that? Anyway we all know that I *rarely* go over 42 ...

;D ;D ;D

Sorry Nigel, 2 weeks agoish i pulled over the amb as i saw you going 45+ under the bridge;D . Nice to see. Nil causualties. No one else around (especially Troy- rang him and he was working;D .

Cheers Scott

Innocent as charged! I *always* slow to 6 knots under the bridge.

However I *might* have been doing 42 - up until a couple of boat lengths ...

;D ;D ;D

acehigh
28-05-2008, 09:19 AM
i think i may have went past you on my way in... I stopped outside the cape about two miles outside you on my way in from trolling all day to catch a feed. didnt take long as they really came on the bite as the sun was falling. was there another boat near you fishing?? i came past about 445 in a little centre console.

Frank OO
28-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Hi Acehigh,

Yes I can picture you coming in from the North East. Did you do any good trolling? There were lots of bait schools around us and you could actually hear them as they were feeding on the top of the water because water was so smooth.

Frank OO

Frank OO
28-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Hi Scott,

I would love to come out with you in June but I don't want to push start the boat to get the motor started.

Don't take Troy because I can't keep up with him. He is an animal when it comes to deep water jigging and I am too old to to keep up and too stupid to let him beat me.

Frank OO

reel scream
28-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Hi Scott,

I don't want to push start the boat to get the motor started.

Frank OO

All running sweet.

Voda
28-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Hey Franko,No Navi on this trip could'nt he get a leave pass lol
Cheers Voda <:{{{{><

ooglie74
28-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Oh frank, I will be a good boy.I wont jig,lol.

Yeah scott could be a go mate have to see when Im working and get back to you.

Cheers Troy

Frank OO
28-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Hi Troy,

Can I trust you to behave..

Hi Voda,

I didn't want to take Navi ( Black Sheep) out because if he fell overboard I would never find him in the dark.

Frank OO

The BeaR
28-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Hi Frank...

Nice variety of fish there. Well done. We really miss fishing down there and especially the good company of our friends. We will have to come down for a visit real soon.

Eric&Deb...

captain rednut
28-05-2008, 07:47 PM
well done franko we made the wrong decision to fish shallow tempest and it was a very quiet evening for us, anyway catch you out there next time. jim

ooglie74
28-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Lol cant see him in the dark.Just get him to smile.
I will behave as well as I can.
Got to have some fun and laughs though.

Cheers Troy

seapup
28-05-2008, 11:45 PM
Great sesion Frank! You've got me fired up to come home and chase some fish as I am surfed out after my Indo barrel trip!
Cheers,
Benny.

Frank OO
29-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Hi Captain RedNut,

Finally I have made the connection. I recognised the Avatar and I recognised your boat but I never made the connection with the two names.

Lookout Jim I have got you now. I called you to let you know how well we were doing at the Cape because I have never done any good at Shallow Tempest in the dark after 8:00pm.

I can't wait till the next time.

Frank OO

Frank OO
29-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Benny,

I love the photos of your Indo Trip especially the beautiful smooth curler.

Looks like a great trip.

Frank OO

black_sheep
29-05-2008, 02:07 PM
You loosing it Frank.

Bait, Red Bass..................Alzheimers.

Spot82
30-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Sounds like a great arvo/nite out, always good when you have a session like that, some nice fish there too.

Anthony

Fishbait
30-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Hey Scott - I like your new Avatar mate. Darren.:o