PDA

View Full Version : Are you using the strong Aussie $$$

NAGG
26-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Hey all .....
with such a strong Australian dollar ...... Are we taking advantage of it & buying more tackle from overseas ?

Nagg

BR65
26-05-2008, 07:10 PM
not as much as I would like to be mate, got a couple of little trips Im saveing up for

cheers
brian

banshee
26-05-2008, 07:22 PM
No,I prefer to contribute to our own standard of living and support an Aussies wage instead of puting money in some foreigners pocket.......but each to their own.

NAGG
26-05-2008, 07:25 PM
not as much as I would like to be mate, got a couple of little trips Im saveing up for

cheers
brian

Brian ..... your support at Origin 2&3 wont help;)

gotta say though .... trolling some of the OS sites & boy ...... can you save some cash:)

Chris

station-rat
26-05-2008, 07:32 PM
I like the Australian dollar in my pocket not some other Australian's
Station-rat

NAGG
26-05-2008, 07:37 PM
No,I prefer to contribute to our own standard of living and support an Aussies wage instead of puting money in some foreigners pocket.......but each to their own.

banshee ..... no disrespect intended , but really ...... you have either lots of cash to burn , don't spend much , happy to line the pockets of the likes of Mr Dunphy or are a philanthropist:-/

I know what you are saying ..... please don't bite my head off , But I figure that I spend way too much on other things & taxes ...... which support locals in one way or another.
even with my fishing gear ...... I still spend heaps on my boat ,lures , SPs etc etc ..... & plenty when I'm away on a out of town trip.

no I think i do my bit for the local economy!

Cheers

Nagg

Pistol_P
26-05-2008, 07:41 PM
I like the Australian dollar in my pocket not some other Australian's
Station-rat

Very true......

They were talking about this on 'A current affair' tonight actually.

The way things are the majority of people will look to save $$$$ wherever they can.
Everything from food,petrol and housing is getting so expensive that when it comes down to it we arent going to just spend an extra $100 to support another aussie...???

Some of the savings are massive and the $$$ involved are too big to just say 'Oh yeah lets support the local guy.....

Its unfortunate as I would like to support an aussie way before a foreigner BUT the savings are just to much to ignore now.

Pete

imnotoriginal
26-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Very true......

They were talking about this on 'A current affair' tonight actually.

The way things are the majority of people will look to save $$$$ wherever they can.
Everything from food,petrol and housing is getting so expensive that when it comes down to it we arent going to just spend an extra $100 to support another aussie...???

Some of the savings are massive and the $$$ involved are too big to just say 'Oh yeah lets support the local guy.....

Its unfortunate as I would like to support an aussie way before a foreigner BUT the savings are just to much to ignore now.

Pete

Couldn't have said it better myself. I just wish I had more strong aussie dollars to spend on fishing gear:-/ .
Joel

NAGG
26-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself. I just wish I had more strong aussie dollars to spend on fishing gear:-/ .
Joel

I'm trying to work out where I can skimp ...... so I can have more aussie $ to spend on tackle;)

bayfisher
26-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Yes i import a lot of my gear but i don't think I'm spending any more just because the dollar is up (I already buy too much as it is ;D ). I cant see the dollar going down any time soon, so there isn't any rush. For me though it not all about savings, there is so much good gear including rods, reels, plastics, hard bodies that are just not available here in Australia. The only way to get this stuff is to import.

NAGG
26-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Gotto agree with the range of products available OS

dont ever get a basspro cattledog!!!! ...... It can make a tackle junkie overdose;D
Nagg

BR65
26-05-2008, 08:20 PM
changing world, on line shopping is a reality, and with the oz $ up there at the moment, why wouldnt you take advantage.
I had a clean out on the week end, bugger, theres just to many toys in the cupboard to justify any more, though a new furuno 620v colour sounder wouldnt go astray

BR65
26-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Brian ..... your support at Origin 2&3 wont help;)

gotta say though .... trolling some of the OS sites & boy ...... can you save some cash:)

Chris

not to hijack the post, but one win and you blokes talk up a dynasty, fat boy bird compared to lewis, come good::)
back to the question though
Im interested in what ausfishos are buying at the moment????

Leighton
26-05-2008, 08:42 PM
doing a lot of looking..:argue:.. sweet talking the wife but it doesnt seem to be working
Our house is on the market, with a sea change in mind. My spending has been capped >:(

NAGG
26-05-2008, 09:00 PM
not to hijack the post, but one win and you blokes talk up a dynasty, fat boy bird compared to lewis, come good::)
back to the question though
Im interested in what ausfishos are buying at the moment????

why not! ...... its been a lean trot! ( Hijack:-/ THIS IS AUSFISH MATE;) )

Yeh ,I'm keen to hear what & where!

Chris

spears
26-05-2008, 09:23 PM
Am i spending overseas "YOU BET I AM"just sold 13 reels and 5 rods to make room for some good stuff..I'm in heaven..Just spending enough to keep it under a grand..this silly thing called tax..

t4topcat
26-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Gotta say I've just bought a heap of Zoom Horny Toads and Gamblers and Lucky Craft hardbodies and must admit that the only reason was due to the favourable exchange rate, and the fact that bying the same product here would see me paying through the nose for the privilege. I'm also currently looking at purchasing another shipment as I have seen some stuff that I've been thinking about for ages but just couldn't justify spending the cash that's expected in Australia. I would rather keep my money here but as was said earlier we are nowin a global economy so if my local supliers can't compete in range or price I'll take my hard earned cash to where I can get the best return....I'd be mad not too!

Cheers

Chris

QuinnyII
26-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Have not purchased any tackle from overseas,however i did purchase a Lowrance GPS/Sounder combo from the US last week, arrived today. The savings are impressive. Will be looking at a new rod/reel in the comming weeks.

Cheers Quinny

banshee
26-05-2008, 10:17 PM
banshee ..... no disrespect intended , but really ...... you have either lots of cash to burn , don't spend much , happy to line the pockets of the likes of Mr Dunphy or are a philanthropist:-/

I know what you are saying ..... please don't bite my head off , But I figure that I spend way too much on other things & taxes ...... which support locals in one way or another.
even with my fishing gear ...... I still spend heaps on my boat ,lures , SPs etc etc ..... & plenty when I'm away on a out of town trip.

no I think i do my bit for the local economy!

Cheers

Nagg

No offence taken,and as I implied people have the right to spend their money in any way they choose.

plaztix
27-05-2008, 08:04 AM
i am browsing for a new tuna, heavy plastics reel at the moment, will keep you posted on what i finally get.

kingtin
27-05-2008, 09:25 AM
I'm buying the UK pound as I'm going over there in a few weeks and will not want to pay the atm fees for foreign exchange.

What I'd like to buy and fetch back is some Hollands pies and whelks but customs won't allow that ;D

Think I may purchase an overhead beach rod as mine's looking a little shabby now. Was looking at epirbs but they're dearer there

Will definitely get 50 of the top image at only a 70c each. They slay mackerel over there and I don't see why they wouldn't work here. They spin and flash as do the ones in the middle image. The bottom one is a flounder spoon that I found will work on flathead so I'll get a few of them too at only a dollar each

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/bidkev/Portfolio/boat%20rally/TubedMackerelSpinnerBothHooks_Overs.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/bidkev/Portfolio/boat%20rally/weightedmackerel.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/bidkev/Portfolio/boat%20rally/nickel_flounder_spoon2.jpg

kev

Little grey men
27-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Hey Kev, I reckon our bass would gobble all of those lures....they look the goods !!!!:)

Outsider1
27-05-2008, 09:47 AM
The middle spinners look like the old Celta trout lures we used when I was a kid. They worked well on bass/estuary perch and were probably the precursors to today's spinner baits I guess. I believe they also caught a lot of trout on downriggers in Jindabyne. Pedder etc.

Cheers

Dave

NAGG
27-05-2008, 10:17 AM
The middle spinners look like the old Celta trout lures we used when I was a kid. They worked well on bass/estuary perch and were probably the precursors to today's spinner baits I guess. I believe they also caught a lot of trout on downriggers in Jindabyne. Pedder etc.

Cheers

Dave

Sure do look like celtas ....... still probably the best trout lure ( along with tassie devils & CD5 Rapalas)

Nagg

kingtin
27-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Hey Kev, I reckon our bass would gobble all of those lures....they look the goods !!!!:)

The flounder spoon is really too big (about the size of a desert spoon). Although it can be used as a spinner bait, it is best cast out with a weight at least 2ft ahead of it and wound in very slowly. The weight knocks up puffs of sand and any fish investigating will see the spoon wobbling (not spinning due to the slow speed), and take the baited hook behind it. It is a killer method for all European flatt fish such as sole, flounder and plaice.

The mackerel spinner (top illustration)does just that, spins with the water pressure on the bent fin. It is often used on the bottom snood of a baited paternoster rig whereby when you reel in to check your bait, the spinner will take a mackerel or saltwater bass. I reckon they'd work well for tailor.

kev

kingtin
27-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Yeah, Dave and Nagg. The middle ones are used mainly for sea trout but also take sea bass, mackerel and pollock. At those prices it's worth giving any of them a go over here.

How about these from Fladen of Sweden? A pack of 6 for the uk equivalent of only 10 bucks.:o

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/bidkev/Portfolio/boat%20rally/fladen_sam_silverminnow_more.jpg

kev

charleville
27-05-2008, 10:51 AM

So how does that work? Most of the products sold here are manufactured overseas and therefore even by buying them here we are creating jobs in other countries.

By importing direct from overseas we are just enabling ourselves to make the decision on how we spend it locally not giving it to an Aussie importer who adds no local content ( ≠ local employment) at all.

BTW, do you buy Coca Cola, any brand of outboard motor, dried figs, watch American TV programs, Arnotts biscuits, any brand of computer, cameras, pork, etc etc etc? Oh you do? Oh well - you are already "putting money in some foreigners pocket."

If the local importers did not add such huge margins to their minor value-added role of ordering the stock from overseas and distributing it here, none of us would be bothered to import fishing gear.

eg Anyone who has imported Scottys downriggers from Cabelas in the USA knows that they will get them landed to their door at 40% of the local price. That is the local mark-up is $300 on an product that is manufactured overseas and can be landed here from a US retailer for $200. What a local rip-off!!!

Howso
27-05-2008, 11:41 AM
I just got bask from the US.. couldn't help but drop into a Boating Warehouse store.. They have them everywhere..

Just so happens that they sell Rapala X-raps (30 feet) and just so happens I could get three for the same price as one in Aus...:o Didn't take much to convince the wife that $35 (for 3 lures) was better than spending $110 plus.. ;D Especially as I had lost one a couple of weeks earlier off Fraser..

I am happy to support an Aussie but there is no reason for a 200% price difference.. Especially with the dollar as it is now..

Jungle Jim
27-05-2008, 11:52 AM
I have been trawling (read drooling) through the japanese tackle websites for weeks trying to decide how to spend my hard earned.

As a lot of people have mentioned the range is mind blowing and so are the prices - cheap that is.

In some cases you can buy a reel custom handles, bearings and knobs including shipping for less than the local price.

I find the saving on limited edition or ultra high end stuff (ito, i'ze and the like) not as great as the mid range stuff but still we are talking in some cases hundreds of dollars per rod/reel.

Since finding the o/s online stores, my next high end rod/reel will be bought o/s -combination of price and the range not locally available.
I will however still buy lures, line and terminals locally.

Anyway back to day dreaming

Jm

NAGG
27-05-2008, 12:32 PM
So how does that work? Most of the products sold here are manufactured overseas and therefore even by buying them here we are creating jobs in other countries.

By importing direct from overseas we are just enabling ourselves to make the decision on how we spend it locally not giving it to an Aussie importer who adds no local content ( ≠ local employment) at all.

BTW, do you buy Coca Cola, any brand of outboard motor, dried figs, watch American TV programs, Arnotts biscuits, any brand of computer, cameras, pork, etc etc etc? Oh you do? Oh well - you are already "putting money in some foreigners pocket."

If the local importers did not add such huge margins to their minor value-added role of ordering the stock from overseas and distributing it here, none of us would be bothered to import fishing gear.

eg Anyone who has imported Scottys downriggers from Cabelas in the USA knows that they will get them landed to their door at 40% of the local price. That is the local mark-up is $300 on an product that is manufactured overseas and can be landed here from a US retailer for $200. What a local rip-off!!!

I know what he means ...... Even the local distributors/ agents & tackle stores employ Aussie people .... so there is a bit of support for locals ( just not in manufacturing)
Having said that ...... The difference is just too significant , specially when my Prado now costs nearly $300 to fill ...... a $100 increase in one year:o
So my fishing $ ..... has been shrinking

Nagg

PinHead
27-05-2008, 01:35 PM
I have not even looked at overseas fishing tackle stores online..even if I did I doubt I would save much by doing an overseas EFT...the damn bank would probably want a fortune in fees.

Roo
27-05-2008, 01:55 PM
paypal charge a 2.5% spread on the currency exchange(they give you an exchange rate 2.5% below the market rate) or your bank will charge a fee, mine charged $12.50 (NAB) for a foreign currency exchange. on the last reel i got the $12.50 was cheaper than the paypal spread as it was a $450au transaction. do your sums and you can find the best way.....i saved $171 after fees etc compared to the best deal i could get from a shop here.

MYS013
27-05-2008, 01:59 PM
I just ordered some things from overseas... too cheap to pass up.

themissus
27-05-2008, 02:03 PM
We saved $400 when we bought our 2 certate's from the U.S and the dollar was only @ 87c. It arrived four days after we ordered. We just couldn't go past that. We buy all of our other gear locally, but some of the savings are too great to go past.
Cheers Kim.

Bubba Gump
27-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Not so much using the strong Aussie $, but using the weak U.S $ for me. I am earning euros which has been at an all time high against the U.S $ and has made for some happy buying in the last 6 months or so. I am more than happy and would prefer to buy locally in Australia, but not to the point where I am spending between 25-50% more on a product. It may sound selfish, but I prefer supporting my family more than spending my hard earned money on more expensive products so I can help the local economy.

LostNearBribie
27-05-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm looking at a colour sounder at the moment from the US.
It is half price and that is delivered. That's around $500 in my pocket.
That $500 will no doubt make it's way into locals hands, so I don't feel so bad.

banshee
27-05-2008, 07:33 PM

So you think that buying OS is actually beneficial to our standard of living?

Sea-Dog
27-05-2008, 09:21 PM
As someone said - the $500 that I save by buying OS will probably end up in some aussie's pocket anyway.

So why not get more stuff for the same amount of nett $$ going into aussie pockets?

Don't support the greedy.

Anyone noticed in the past when the aussie dollar drops against other currencies that local prices skyrocket.

What about now that our dollar has gained ground - do we see correspondingly lower aussie prices? Not likely. It's just a time for profiteering.

lampuki
27-05-2008, 09:29 PM
must be tuff being a local tackle supplier these days. I try to support the local guys, bought a bunch of stuff from mossops latley, but the descrpenacy is too high to ignore....i recently got back from the states and i bought a bunch of stuff.....BUT, be aware, if you use any gear in the states, you may as well leave it there, as it will not pass customs.

spears
27-05-2008, 11:45 PM
For people who think the dollar should be spent here and not overseas need to think twice.
There are reported 5 million people going fishing in this country.

Hard core fishermen which may be 10%.

What if only 20% of those hard core fisho’s spent overseas.
Not much spending dollar being sent overseas..

NAGG
28-05-2008, 08:50 AM
As someone said - the $500 that I save by buying OS will probably end up in some aussie's pocket anyway.

So why not get more stuff for the same amount of nett $$ going into aussie pockets?

Don't support the greedy.

Anyone noticed in the past when the aussie dollar drops against other currencies that local prices skyrocket.

What about now that our dollar has gained ground - do we see correspondingly lower aussie prices? Not likely. It's just a time for profiteering.

SD ..... What you have said is very true & its something I've been watching closely
If tackle suppliers followed the trends in the currency
A Daiwa Certate ...... Should have dropped from $500- ish to around $400 in the last 12 months ......... >:( but they have not! ..... Note : There has been a slight increase in the price in Japan (5%)

Cheers

Nagg

dogsbody
28-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Got a Penn Liveliner 460 $165 to my door, is my recent OS purchase.

The way things are going buying in Aus has become a thing of the past for certain purchases.

Also bought a Lumix TZ5 10megapixel digi for $383 bucks. Bargain i reckon.

Dave.

MattChew
28-05-2008, 03:15 PM
The way things are going buying in Aus has become a thing of the past for certain purchases.
Dave.

I buy all my Rods & Reels over here mainly for warranty purposes but for the life of me cannot bring myself to spend $30 on a lure I can buy from Japan for $10, pay the $15 delivery and still save myself $5 ... and that is on 1 lure. I simply cannot understand how a $10 shop bought lure which has probably already earned said tackle shop a 200% profit can be sold in Australia for $30 .... that's the sole reason why none of my Hardbodies are bought in this country ... an absolute rip job!!!!!!

Ta
Matt

Pistol_P
28-05-2008, 07:20 PM
I buy all my Rods & Reels over here mainly for warranty purposes but for the life of me cannot bring myself to spend $30 on a lure I can buy from Japan for $10, pay the $15 delivery and still save myself $5 ... and that is on 1 lure. I simply cannot understand how a $10 shop bought lure which has probably already earned said tackle shop a 200% profit can be sold in Australia for $30 .... that's the sole reason why none of my Hardbodies are bought in this country ... an absolute rip job!!!!!!

Ta
Matt

Yes and the tackle shops will be feeling the heat dont worry...!!!

Unfortunately retail is becoming the internet....!!!

Pete

NAGG
28-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Yes and the tackle shops will be feeling the heat dont worry...!!!

Unfortunately retail is becoming the internet....!!!

Pete

It is the internet age :)

& more tackle stores will go by the wayside ......... An unfortunate reality , but a reality :(

Chris

NAGG
29-05-2008, 07:21 AM
I'm looking at a colour sounder at the moment from the US.
It is half price and that is delivered. That's around $500 in my pocket.
That $500 will no doubt make it's way into locals hands, so I don't feel so bad.

I was speaking to a mate yesterday & he mentioned that he was going to bring in a Furuno sounder
Apparently the saving would be around $1200 for Sounder / 1kw tranny:o

pretty compelling

Nagg

NAGG
30-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Well I'm putting together a shopping list atm... as a mate is heading to the US shortly!
Mostly lures ....... & I'll be paying 30 to 50% of the local price:P

Cheers

Nagg

kingtin
30-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Alert! Alert! the Pom is about whinge. ;D

5 weeks ago I ordered some lens hoods from Bentley's Camera House. Although they were a standard 58mm thread (the most popular) they said that had none in stock and none in their other storeds, but they would be here within a week............I'm still waiting ::)

Now I can go onto ebay and get these buggers for half the price, delivered within 5 days from Hong Kong........where the bloody hell is Camera House, the biggest photographic franchise in Qld, getting there's from? Jupiter? ::) ;D

If Aussie jobs are being lost, then blame Aussie management. All the signs are there and they still can't get their finger out!

Talking of jobs being lost. I shop carefully from the habit of being a one income family. IGA Strathpine has been beating Coles hands down on prices, particularly deli and meat at an easy 30% saving over Woolies and Coles. Prices aside, I've never had a tough or tasteless piece of meat from there, despite it being cheap. Good prices with good quality. Has it got them loyalty? Has it buggery! Went in this morning and fish, prawns etc was walking out the door 'cause they're closing down..........the staff were only told on Monday. I felt like I was raping the poor buggers when I filled the trolly with 500gm trays of cooked prawns at $2 a tray.

They've all been made redundant with no replacing to other stores............I've known the staff since way back, when it was an Action store. They all had a smile on their face and not a whinge out of any of them. Made me feel sad, but good, about the Aussie spirit.

Coles will be moving in.......one more move towards a monopoly. Some bugger in the corridors of power needs to wake up to what is happening in Oz............only a matter of time before the country is run by half a dozen major companies............Just a shame we won't be able to shop around overseas for food, like we are beginning to do with other goods.

kev

Pistol_P
30-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Some bugger in the corridors of power needs to wake up to what is happening in Oz............only a matter of time before the country is run by half a dozen major companies............Just a shame we won't be able to shop around overseas for food, like we are beginning to do with other goods.

kev

Very Very true Kingtin.....Really is crunch time at the moment.

Pete

AdamB
30-05-2008, 04:34 PM
I purchased a sounder from the US and saved big dollars, RRP in aus was about $1500, Had it land at my door for $613 with all insurances and postage.

r3volt
30-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Hopefully our dollar over takes the US soon... Then i might start importing fuel

spears
31-05-2008, 12:18 AM
You order from the U.S. and it gets here in 5 days at a lower price.
And the U.S. knows what customer service is..

NAGG
31-05-2008, 01:25 AM
You order from the U.S. and it gets here in 5 days at a lower price.
And the U.S. knows what customer service is..

I just received a package from the US today ( lures & terminal tackle) ..... 7 days delivery ($110 landed Vs $175 local)

Nagg

Tetsuo
31-05-2008, 10:37 PM
It's hard to go past a bargain but bare in mind the overheads small takle stores are forced to endure. I'm not in tackle but I know the wages I have to pay are a sh#tload more than my employees are worth. Not that I mind paying if they put in an honest days work. Tackle stores need to employ staff so you can get the service you expect. Its not all profit. AUD is up but so is everything else. If you dont support locals they will close and you will have to buy every lure, hook, sinker etc.. from overseas.

My advice is to try and find a balance between OS and local. If your local store supports you with helpful advice and a good selection, support them by putting some business their way.

NAGG
01-06-2008, 11:29 AM
It's hard to go past a bargain but bare in mind the overheads small takle stores are forced to endure. I'm not in tackle but I know the wages I have to pay are a sh#tload more than my employees are worth. Not that I mind paying if they put in an honest days work. Tackle stores need to employ staff so you can get the service you expect. Its not all profit. AUD is up but so is everything else. If you dont support locals they will close and you will have to buy every lure, hook, sinker etc.. from overseas.

My advice is to try and find a balance between OS and local. If your local store supports you with helpful advice and a good selection, support them by putting some business their way.

Thanks for that Tetsuo

I think in one way or another most fishoes do support their local tackle store . I spend probably just as much locally (if not more) as I do on Imports ( I'm less supportive of the chain stores though).
During my travels ...... I'm always spending up at the locals .... Its just part & parcel:)

Nagg

PinHead
01-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Alert! Alert! the Pom is about whinge. ;D

5 weeks ago I ordered some lens hoods from Bentley's Camera House. Although they were a standard 58mm thread (the most popular) they said that had none in stock and none in their other storeds, but they would be here within a week............I'm still waiting ::)

Now I can go onto ebay and get these buggers for half the price, delivered within 5 days from Hong Kong........where the bloody hell is Camera House, the biggest photographic franchise in Qld, getting there's from? Jupiter? ::) ;D

If Aussie jobs are being lost, then blame Aussie management. All the signs are there and they still can't get their finger out!

Talking of jobs being lost. I shop carefully from the habit of being a one income family. IGA Strathpine has been beating Coles hands down on prices, particularly deli and meat at an easy 30% saving over Woolies and Coles. Prices aside, I've never had a tough or tasteless piece of meat from there, despite it being cheap. Good prices with good quality. Has it got them loyalty? Has it buggery! Went in this morning and fish, prawns etc was walking out the door 'cause they're closing down..........the staff were only told on Monday. I felt like I was raping the poor buggers when I filled the trolly with 500gm trays of cooked prawns at $2 a tray.

They've all been made redundant with no replacing to other stores............I've known the staff since way back, when it was an Action store. They all had a smile on their face and not a whinge out of any of them. Made me feel sad, but good, about the Aussie spirit.

Coles will be moving in.......one more move towards a monopoly. Some bugger in the corridors of power needs to wake up to what is happening in Oz............only a matter of time before the country is run by half a dozen major companies............Just a shame we won't be able to shop around overseas for food, like we are beginning to do with other goods.

kev

it already is but only 3 - Shell, BP and Caltex.