PDA

View Full Version : trailers poll

tin can marlin
26-05-2008, 06:05 PM
What brand of trailer has your boat got or what brand do you think is the best.

ronnien
26-05-2008, 06:12 PM
i have a 6 month old belco very good & cant fault it.

ron.

Jabba_
26-05-2008, 06:17 PM
How about Tinker trailers

Fish Guts
26-05-2008, 06:27 PM
jabba you have been reincarnated.

Breambuster33
26-05-2008, 06:32 PM
always though duniber was the best

PinHead
26-05-2008, 07:01 PM
ezi loader

Chimo
26-05-2008, 07:04 PM
http://www.mayfairmarine2000.com/Trailers.htm

Tinka;)

Cheers
Chimo

Poseidon
26-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Very happy with my Dunbier trailer.

There was a noticeable diference after the cheap rubbish tyres that it came fitted with ("DURO') were thrown away.

DURO... not as round as most....

Regards Cameron.

leezor
26-05-2008, 07:51 PM
None of the above, mines a Loadmaster aluminium I-Beam with torsion axles, Kodiak Stainless Steel discs and callipers.

Wahoo
26-05-2008, 08:28 PM
i have a Belco, seems alright, but i want what Lee has8-)8-)8-)8-)

Daz

leezor
26-05-2008, 08:39 PM
i have a Belco, seems alright, but i want what Lee has8-)8-)8-)8-)

Daz

LOL, sure makes washing it down after a trip easy Daz, still dont know why this type of trailer isn't more popular over here. Bloody cheap as well, cost me under $6000 brand spanking new with elec over hydraulic brake controller.;D

Alchemy
26-05-2008, 08:44 PM
LOL, sure makes washing it down after a trip easy Daz, still dont know why this type of trailer isn't more popular over here. Bloody cheap as well, cost me under $6000 brand spanking new with elec over hydraulic brake controller.;D

Hi Lee,

Do you reckon it would be feasible to import one of those trailers on its own?

Regards,
Dave.

Wahoo
26-05-2008, 08:50 PM

that sounds sweet as Lee8-)
but im very sure, in time we will see alloy trailers as pretty much standard, for now we will pay top $$$$$ but as supply/ demand comes in, the prices will drop

Daz

leezor
26-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Hi Lee,

Do you reckon it would be feasible to import one of those trailers on its own?

Regards,
Dave.

Hi Dave, if you could find someone to share a container with I reckon it could be worth while considering the same trailer here would probably cost over $12k.

Cheers, Lee

northernblue
26-05-2008, 09:05 PM
"homemade"

rat_catcher
26-05-2008, 10:45 PM
You missed Mackay Trailers!

Scott Ashe
27-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Hi all,

My Allycraft sits on a Redco Sportsman Trailer, quite happy with it so far.

My Previous Allycraft sat on a Swiftco trailer, I prefer the redco the most because it has 13' wheels as opposed to 8's on the swiftco, so it's better for towing longer distances.

The redco, also has the lights mounted on the trailer, which is better than having to take the light board off every time.

Cheers
Scott

caspermac
27-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Must have been a very old Swiftco trailer, talking to the guys at Sanctuary Cove Boat Show, all their trailers come with minimum 13" wheels now & standard LED lights (no light boards) they look like a very good trailer & very reasonably priced. Good value for money.

Shanoss
27-05-2008, 03:05 PM
I bought a redco sportsman with the electric over hydraulic brakes a little over six months ago. Its a nice trailer, considering its made from gal box section. Wish i had the same setup as Lee though.

Dirtysanchez
28-05-2008, 03:44 PM
My trailer is probably as old as me (err, maybe not) and it is a FELK brand.. Ever heard of it :) ?

black runner
28-05-2008, 10:14 PM
FMS Trailer for me

johnny roger
29-05-2008, 06:59 AM
redco, but moving to a stacer when it arrives.

Mindi
29-05-2008, 08:14 AM
Interesting exercise. Pity you didnt include Mackay...made just near Dunbiers in Melbourne and most Victorians wouldnt rate a Dunbier as nearly the same quality. Brand is seen as good but Mackay better. I have had two Mackays and one Dunbier and the Mackays win hands down.

the gecko
29-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Bought a new Oceanic for my last boat. Now Ive got a Dunbier, and I think the Oceanic was slightly better.

cheers
Andrew

Mindi
29-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Stacer and Quintrex trailers are just OEM Dunbiers..

bluefin59
29-05-2008, 01:47 PM
I'v got a 4yr old H.D belco drive-on trailer that is sunk every weekend and its still fine ...matt

tin can marlin
29-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Hi everyone should have put mackay in there i forgot about them being from queensland. I put this post up because the marine game always talks about the hull and the motor and the trailer is a long last in the sale and i think that it is as important as the other items in a boat package.

Tangles
29-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Totally agree Tin Can,

have a redco sportsman, seems ok so far, only thing is how the cross bars are bent to get the 'V' which allows water to settle, so I pay attention to that

mike

Wear the fox hat
29-05-2008, 08:59 PM
I would rate Trailcraft as one of the best & most practical trailers I have seen. They are a galv "I" beam frame with parabolic springs.
Next would be Belco (I own one) closely followed by Mackay. These two brands are HD galv trailers with quality fittings & practical setups. When you compare them side by side with other brands, there is no comparison.
Aluminium trailers seem great, but the larger ones (in some brands) can be prone to cracking.

WTFH

Mindi
30-05-2008, 08:20 AM
Hi everyone should have put mackay in there i forgot about them being from queensland. I put this post up because the marine game always talks about the hull and the motor and the trailer is a long last in the sale and i think that it is as important as the other items in a boat package.

...if they didnt have to carry the trasnsport cost they would be a bigger force here.

Donny Boy
30-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Special.

So far ........so good.......nothin' bad to report at all.

ashh
31-05-2008, 12:07 PM
special for me to, the only rusty part on it is the cheap axle.

tin can marlin
01-06-2008, 08:33 AM
Some very good veiw poins coming in. I think that people out there no more about trailers than dealers give them credit for.

Mindi
01-06-2008, 10:45 AM
and care a lot more about them than dealers realise..I reckon they assume you drive them 10km to the ramp. ...and they will last the 12 mths warranty period.

BM
06-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Mulitiroller drive on trailers are becomming old hat...

Full skid trailers are the way of the future. KEEL skids either side of the keel and stabiliser skids towards the chines.

Drive on setup between the skids (my design) and you have the ultimate user friendly trailer setup.... FAR BETTER than any multiroller design as it is completely FAILSAFE. Won't get that guarantee from a multi roller trailer producer.....

Cheers

Hornet Rider
06-06-2008, 09:38 PM

Full skid trailers are the way of the future. KEEL skids either side of the keel and stabiliser skids towards the chines.

Drive on setup between the skids (my design) and you have the ultimate user friendly trailer setup.... FAR BETTER than any multiroller design as it is completely FAILSAFE. Won't get that guarantee from a multi roller trailer producer.....

Cheers

Hi BM, do you have drawings, photos of your design? Have you had any manufactured? I have an old tinka without brakes, & fitting brakes is not a cost effective option, so I've been examining options for a braked single axle trailer for my 16 ft tinny. Would be interested to learn more of your design please.

20vwestie
09-06-2008, 01:09 AM
Dunbier was supplied with the boat, does a good job.

Feral
09-06-2008, 06:33 AM
"homemade"

I'll go with that, a lot cheaper, a lot stronger.

GAD
09-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Have a Dunbier under the TABS, its alright , just make sure to keep it washed down and greased up , keeping it maintained to make sure it is safe to tow and keeps my boat of that hard black stuff it weren't designed for and on that liquid blue stuff it was.
Home made under the old little tinnie , only ever broke axles up the cape twice on that 75mm x 50mm x 4mm heavy but strong and tows well.

Greg

2manylures
27-07-2008, 10:52 AM

Dead right TCM.

Quite often we don't realise just how important until something happens.

My 1st boat came with a Mackay trailer. On it's 1st trip a couple of welds let go & I almost lost everything. On closer inspection I noticed there wasn't a single actual weld on the trailer; ALL TACKED ONLY.

To cut a longy short, opening of biz hrs had me on the ph paying out on Ian Mackay. He politely cut me off with a fullfilled promise of a brand new heavier duty trailer which arrived at my door within 2 days. A True gentleman.

Although my initial experience with Mackay was less than ordinary, the man himself was brilliant, he couldn't do enough for me. He also explained that after all the yrs in business my trailer was only his 5th return from thousands.

Now I have a Dunbier but wouldn't hesitate on another Mackay.

solaris
27-07-2008, 05:40 PM
I have had three redco's and one Oceanic, The oceanic had a slightly better quality of fittings & fixings than the Redco's.

kingi69
27-07-2008, 06:10 PM
;D ;D Mackay Trailer are the ducks guts... You guys heard of them ??? (lol);D ;D

tin can marlin
20-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Point taken kingi they are a great trailer.

CB77
20-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Mines a Mackay multi roller tandem and is the best I have had, it tows very well and is easy to back up.

Just wish it had a walkway/gangplank.

Scalem
21-08-2008, 11:31 AM

Cheers

My understanding is that skid setups and fibreglass don't mix, but I have no idea what design you are talking about - so I don't have my blinkers on.;) Maybe a photo?? I will stay with multiroller for my glass boats forever, if you crawl under my hull, I'll show you the scars from the previous skid setup on the old trailer.

Scalem

Mindi
21-08-2008, 05:26 PM
The best trailer I ever had was a Mordyglide..(long since gone bust) under a heavy 6.1M glass Carribean runabout with a 150 Yammy...it had no rollers at all...just teflon tops on the cross members and conventional skid type side supports towards the back to keep it level on the road. You just backed the trailer down the ramp and drove at the back cross member....No matter what direction you drove it on it just slid straight to the middle where it sat perfectly cradled....absolutely made a joke of all keel roller and multi roller and side skid designs. It had no fittings at all except the rear side supports. The boat rode very low to the road with no roller substructure, and launch/retrieve was childs play.

Why didnt they take the market..? no idea... there was a view the friction on the teflon wore the gelcoat but that was bullshit. Well it cerainly didnt affect mine in untold trips Melb to Bermagui and back over about 6 years.Sometimes a great idea that works just doesnt get the market..?
I guess one issue is that with no adjustments to be made, the cross members that the boat is sitting directly on need to match the line of the keel......so easy if a straight keel, else need to be matched.

leezor
21-08-2008, 07:02 PM
My understanding is that skid setups and fibreglass don't mix, but I have no idea what design you are talking about - so I don't have my blinkers on.;) Maybe a photo?? I will stay with multiroller for my glass boats forever, if you crawl under my hull, I'll show you the scars from the previous skid setup on the old trailer.

Scalem

I doubt I will ever go back to multi-roller, my current skid setup is so much easier to both launch and retrieve than any roller trailer I have ever owned. Each to their own I guess, but I reckon it comes down to how well the trailer is setup.

Scalem
21-08-2008, 08:52 PM
I doubt I will ever go back to multi-roller, my current skid setup is so much easier to both launch and retrieve than any roller trailer I have ever owned. Each to their own I guess, but I reckon it comes down to how well the trailer is setup.

So let me ask a more direct question leezor, what kind of boat do you have, glass, plate, aluminium, poly?? I agree with you for anything other than fibreglass.

Scalem

leezor
21-08-2008, 09:17 PM
So let me ask a more direct question leezor, what kind of boat do you have, glass, plate, aluminium, poly?? I agree with you for anything other than fibreglass.

Scalem

Scalem, have a Seaswirl Striper 2300 (GRP) sitting on a 2008 model Loadmaster aluminium trailer.

Lee

bushbeachboy
22-08-2008, 05:41 PM
I voted Oceanic because that's what I've got at the moment. But I've also had a Belco, a Ruhle, Invader, Redco and a homemade. They've all been fine.

Hot_Snappa
22-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Currently have a Dunbier, its only 3 years old and seems fine at the moment! I added fully galvanized axles & springs as an option, and also more importantly, 13" wheels with light truck tyres fitted (including the spare). It also then comes down to how you treat it and how it is maintained .......look after it and it will last for years!
Having said that I have owned Belco and Redco and they also were fine. Mate has Mackay and he says it is awesome!

Dave

kronfeld7
23-08-2008, 02:58 PM
i have a special trailer for my freedom escape 530 and the pivot rollers are brilliant, when i first launched the boat at whyte island, as soon as i released the safety turnbuckle and the winch strap, the boat took off and was straight in the water without me touching anything, lucky i had backed down far enough in the water at the time or would have been quite embarrassing....:-[