PDA

View Full Version : Selling Broken boats

Kevaclone
26-05-2008, 05:50 PM
The two young guys who bought my old Stessl tinny and came to pick it up Friday night. Before they arrived I thought I'd start it up and make sure everything was ok, I hadn't been started for about a month and had never not started for me since I bought it 5 years ago(old 78 Johnno 35 pull start), always started first pull, and do you think I could get this bastard to start Friday arvo? Put new plugs in, checked all wiring even replaced a coil pack, still nothing. then just for a laugh I thought I'd disconnect the kill switch(foward controls) and Hey Presto! away it went. When I rewired all the electrics prior to selling I think I may have shorted the switch somewhere but the guys were happy enough to take it as it was.

Anyway since it was running I though I'd just check the gears selected properly, put into reverse, no problem, put into forward and the bloody cable lets go inside the control box, damn!! So a quick dismantle and fix that and just finished when the guys turned up. I started it for them water squirting out the the telltail, gears working and they are happy

Get a call this arvo from one of the guy's boss, he's telling me about how I sold them a dud. They went out Sat night to Mud Is, no problem, then Sunday moring they get to the ramp at 5:00am and still hadn't got it to start at 8:00am

Ignition module decided to stop working.

In 5 years this engine never let me down or gave me any problem until NOW!!

Sigh:-/

Kev

disorderly
26-05-2008, 06:01 PM
So what was the purpose of the phone call....?
To abuse you ....to ask for recompense....or do they want there money back...?
Hope it gets sorted without too much drama.

Scott

r3volt
26-05-2008, 06:31 PM
I remember when i bought my boat they guy said it starts first time every time... After 5 minutes of trying to start it he realizes the kill switch isnt in :D

They did buy a 2nd hand boat .Where they starting it exactly how you said to start it? I use to have problems starting mine untill i actually read the manual on exactly how to start it ::)

John West
26-05-2008, 06:40 PM
No way I would be going out to mud at night with a 30 year old motor ,maybe after i got to know how she runs ,,maybe .

BM
26-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Firstly its a private sale with no warranty implied or stated.

Secondly, in the trade we will not warrant a secondhand engine for electrical components. No one does that I know. They are prone to occasional complete failure when previously working fine and as such its luck of the draw.

Who knows what they did to it to make it not start? They may have no idea in general. Most starting problems can usually be attributed to operator error.

They must have taken it somewhere if they already know its a power pack problem. Those powerpacks are cheap enough aftermarket, about $200.

Cheers

manchild
26-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Here we go ,just ignore them.I had a bloke buying my old ute with no roadworthy .Then he came back after the week and blaming me for the accident that his missus had,apparently because of the brakes were not working properly.Hmmmm ,just pushed him outside of the gate and told him not to bother me anymore or ill wedge my boots in his arsecrack.It worked.
George

Kevaclone
26-05-2008, 07:07 PM
His Boss is a mate and was just having a dig at me
cheeky buggar

they had no problem with it on the Saturday night

while at the ramp a guy who was a Marine and auto Lecky checked it out for them. Apparently he saw them there trying to start it at 5 and he returned at 8 and found them still there and took pity on them

They got another unit + fitting for $100

they are happy as with it otherwise
they are upgrading from an 11 foot with 6hp to a 14 foot with 35, fwd control and a canopy
they were always running out to Mud Is in the little boat at night for a fish

His boss thinks he'll be calling in sick a lot more for the next frew weeks;D

Kev

manchild
26-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Priceless cracking a good joke on a mate.
cheers
George

sharkymark2
27-05-2008, 10:15 AM
A 11foot boat and 6 hp motor out to mud at night hmmmmmmmmmm. Running out to mud with a boat that hasn't been serviced and checked out for sometime hmmmmmmmmmmm. Oh to be young and care free again ;).

Outsider1
27-05-2008, 10:34 AM
A 11foot boat and 6 hp motor out to mud at night hmmmmmmmmmm. Running out to mud with a boat that hasn't been serviced and checked out for sometime hmmmmmmmmmmm. Oh to be young and care free again ;).

I would reckon there would be a few members here who can remember rowing a boat that size out to Mud. Peel etc in the "Old Days".

Cheers

Dave

DR
27-05-2008, 10:37 AM
good on your mate;D;D

i still would not take a new second hand boat too far away from help for the first few trips, just in case something happens..would be making sure all is working .

zigfreed
27-05-2008, 11:03 AM
I was out at mud on sat night, anchored up when this tiller steer tinny with 2 guys about 12ft went past, mmmmmmm thats pretty keen i thought but at least they had nav lights.

About 1/2 hr later another one goes past using an anchor light while he was driving-no nav lights-could'nt see a thing from head on, could only hear them coming.

All this before the moon even came up.

One would think after all the mishaps in the bay in the last twelve months people would take notice of others misfortunes.

Mick

Mtx
28-05-2008, 08:59 PM
my first boat was a 14ft tinny with an old johno 35 on it.
First trip out was planned with my brother in law in his boat so at least I could be easily rescued if things did not go well....

Bros
28-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Thats' why you never sell anything to someone you know.

Poodroo
29-05-2008, 06:56 AM
Well IMO the boat was sold in good faith and you put the effort in to make sure it was in good working order for them so you did more than what a lot of people out there would when selling a second hand boat. At the end of the day they purchased a second hand boat which comes with no warranty so if it plays up the short answer is "Pay and fix it!"

Poodroo

onerabbit
29-05-2008, 03:51 PM
When bought "as is", so ends your resonsibility.

Regardless of how good it was for you, now it's their problem.
If they choose to give an unknown quantity a big test, more fool them.

End of story,

Muzz

stingau
29-05-2008, 05:15 PM
I got caught on a second hand deal.... my own fault I suppose I went over the boat with well enough glanced at the trailer no visible rust.. light board works...

Got it home from toowoomba and found out the rego was for a brooker trailer and the trailer I got was a redco. I drove all the way back to morayfield with an unregistered trailer. Now I have the problem to sort it out... seller says tough luck...

But it aint over till the fat lady sings an she will be singin out Small Claims Court.

By the way this is another EBAY sale .. as per another thread on here Ebay dont care less. So if anyone see's a brooker 15v running around the area it could belong to me.

Camo
29-05-2008, 05:27 PM
I traded an Old Mustang to a large Quintrex dealer on the Southside. It was full of rot in the transom and the floor and they knew about it, because I told them, and it was the reason I wouldn't sell it privately. They had it sold to an unsuspecting buyer within two weeks. So it proves that you can't be sure of a good boat, even it you buy it second hand from a dealer.

Camo

Mtx
29-05-2008, 05:50 PM
their problem.. Buyers beware and get your own independant tests / water tests done prior to purchase.
If something electronic went, well bad luck go and fix it. This will always happen with a second hand motor.