PDA

View Full Version : Tinnie incident Saturday in the Brisbane River

harry_h01
26-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Did anyone hear about, or know the angler involved in a near swamping in the Brisbane River on Saturday?

We are trying to make sure the fisho is ok.

Our helicoter took off for home on Saturday, and a local angler was parked up out the front. The pilot signaled the fisho but he wouldn't move.

After the helicopter started to lift, the waters were wipped up and the tinnie nearly swamped.

Eventually the tinnie moved, as the helicopter couldn't depart over the top of him.

If anyone has heard, or knows the fisho, please let me know through here.

Thanks in advance.

Harry

Fish Guts
26-05-2008, 06:26 PM
where is your home on the river that can take a helicopter ?

harry_h01
26-05-2008, 10:08 PM
The incident happened where I work.

We launched a Navy Seahawk from our helipad.

Harry

Chimo
27-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Hi Harry

I hope all the split pins were in the correct places and opened!

At least the tinnie operator now has a better appreciation of downdraft etc and knows to lay his rods down when a rotary wing passes by.

Cheers
Chimo

ozscott
27-05-2008, 07:27 AM
Thats a truly beautiful vision...should have gone out and pulled up a snapper from the helo and brought it back to show him...Gold Lotto add style :)

Nice to know that you are looking out for boaties though matey - dont see too many large wash vessel 'captains' doing the same...

Cheers

harry_h01
27-05-2008, 08:18 AM
We have a duty of care in our little stretch of the river. Its a pity that some don't understand that when they anchor up directly in the flight path.

We have a 24hr helipad used by emergency services etc. Signage is up on the fence lines, but we are also going to be putting some up on the poles out the front.

We have a similar exclusion zone to the wharves, just a disappointing that some people don't to notice.

Still, I think the boatie had a bit of rotor wash spray as a result of the down wash. Maybe next time he will stand clear.

Harry