PDA

View Full Version : Whole Baked Fish:Scales On or Scales Off?

stevea
25-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Taking to my mate the other day, it seems that some bake their whole fish with the scales on and then peel back the skin when ready to eat and others like me scale my whole baked fish first. Thinking about trying it?

tunaticer
25-05-2008, 09:05 PM
only time I leave the scales on is when the fish is wrapped in foil leaves or bark for cooking. I think if you open baked a fish with scales it would dry out too much.

Jack.

Outsider1
25-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Definitely scales off! Nothing worse than getting a scale when eating fish IMO.

Cheers

Dave

baitwaster
26-05-2008, 05:21 AM
I'm with you Dave, I am very fussy about scaling fish, and always make sure they are all off. Nothing spoils a good chew quicker than a mouthful of scales IMHO

Shagga
26-05-2008, 07:54 AM
The idea of baking fish is for the skin to go crispy. You do not eat scales so don't cook the fish with the scales on.

Volvo
27-05-2008, 05:19 PM
If you are going to bake you whole fish in the ashes or wet newspapers ide definetly leave the scales on for the reason of making the skin stay more intact hence helping in removing skin all in one go and exposing all that nice white flesh:) ..Unless you happen to be baking a Tuna that is....
Otherwise scale, definetly scale !!, nuthin wrong with eating the skin along with the flesh and nothing worse than trying to seperate a scale from your moosh with a mouthfull of flesh in there whilst others are observing you tackling the feat:o Yukk!!!..
;) ..

Breambuster33
27-05-2008, 05:26 PM
either way does the job.
i reckon it is alot better scaling it before you bake it

whiting-wizard
27-05-2008, 06:53 PM
I'd rather scale it first as i dont like the idea of eating a bit of fish with scales in it:P

Imfiik
27-05-2008, 08:34 PM
When I cook fish whole I always leave the scales on. I reckon it retains the moisture. As far as I'm concerened there are two absolute certainties in life .One ,you won't get every scale and two, Every crab sanga will have a bit of shell in it.;D .

Volvo
28-05-2008, 09:44 AM
When I cook fish whole I always leave the scales on. I reckon it retains the moisture. As far as I'm concerened there are two absolute certainties in life .One ,you won't get every scale and two, Every crab sanga will have a bit of shell in it.;D .

Yep:'( n some fillets have rib cage bones left on em but can assure ya they aint comfy when ya have one stuck sideways in your ringear and have to have a real pretty German female Doctor go in there to remove it lol:o :-[ 8-) .....
Thanks but no thanks i'll scale and remove bones always, same as crab bones tend to break teeth..

Noelm
28-05-2008, 11:39 AM
I guess the simple answer is, if you want to eat the skin (some Fish skin is great) then scale it, if you do not eat the skin, leave them on and peel away the skin, but, I reckon you will probably still get the odd scale or two in the eating portion

Imfiik
28-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Malcomn Douglas is my hero,he's not afraid of scales. He is living proof that nothing that you eat could possibly hurt you.;D

Volvo
29-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Yours n quite a few others hero too:)..And yes have cooked Fish his way whilst out in the bush or along the bank of a River somewhere pulling out carp etc and either wrapping them up in wet newspapers or mud and in the ashes akin to the way ole malcom does and if your hungry the tasteis excellent as is a can of baked beans, chopped bacon and whatever else will fit into the frypan at the time being..
it satisfies the palate for the time being and one doesnt have to carry a shytload of cooking utensils as well as groceries along with them..
Same as cooking in ye ole cast iron damper pot ..easy and can get a great meal without any hassles ..
Part of outdoor camping etc..

stevea
02-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Looks like it is Scales off for the majority.

Bubba Gump
04-06-2008, 06:42 AM
Scales off, packed in loads of wet rock salt and baked until juices run clear out the mouth. Nothing like cracking that baked salt and tucking into that juicy fish!

stevea
04-06-2008, 06:56 AM
Scales off, packed in loads of wet rock salt and baked until juices run clear out the mouth. Nothing like cracking that baked salt and tucking into that juicy fish!
Hey Bubba Gump, that sounds interesting, can you describe in more detail how you pack it in rock salt?
do you wrap it up in alfoil in the oven or just pack the salt in the gut? Thanks

Bubba Gump
04-06-2008, 07:36 AM
Hey stevea,

Get loads of rock salt (1-2kg) depending on the size of the fish, I love Sea Bass! Mix the rock salt with rosemary, thyme, lemon zest and just enough water to wet the salt so that it will solidify/make a crust when baked. Get a roasting tin and put a decent layer of the rock salt mixture in the bottom of the tin. Fill the cavity of the fish with lemon slices, salt, pepper and then place fish on the bed of salt. Take the rest of the salt mixture and pack it around the whole fish, I like to leave the head and tail free but it doesn't matter if you cover them. Bake for 40-45min depending on the size of the fish at around 180-200°. Once cooked lift away the salt crust and you have a beautifully baked fish, I personally like a bit of the salt getting into th fish while cutting it away.

Timfishin4fun
04-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Definetley cook with scales on. It helps retain moisture and as I hate eating the skin you just pull back a fork underneath the skin and a brilliant clean flesh appears.

You might get a scale or two but I also bet you get a bone or two anyway.

Tim

woppa
20-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Scales on. Result= Moist, sweet, sticky, succulent flesh. Yummo!

Just try both ways and see which you prefer.

Benno1
21-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Scales off...nuff said...

disorderly
21-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Yep:'( n some fillets have rib cage bones left on em but can assure ya they aint comfy when ya have one stuck sideways in your ringear and have to have a real pretty German female Doctor go in there to remove it lol:o :-[ 8-) .....

C'mon Volvo...please do tell...I know you want to http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif.
Some guy's may not find it so bad to have a pretty german female fiddling in their rectal region.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

Oh and as for the scales on or off...I don't really care as long as it's cooked right.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif