PDA

View Full Version : Hutchies & Cape Moreton

cptpott
25-05-2008, 05:25 PM
So you've seen the Title & said to yourself " Ooo what's he got at Hutchies?, did he get the Amberjack or kingies he was hoping for ?.... Nuh.
perhaps some assorted reef bag?.... Nuh
how about a big wahoo whilst trolling away from hutchies towards the cape?....Nuh.

Got nothing at all at hutchies this morning. Could have caught another boat, there were plenty.

All we got were sweep.

Sweep! I can catch sweep off Sydney!

Sweep and Lunar & Yellow wrasse - must have caught 30 wrasse.

Somewhat dissaponting when it costs $150 bucks for fuel!

Took a pommie with me 'though, who was delighted ! It had been a life long ambition for him to go offshore fishing in Australia. He had a ball! -
I was ashamed.
Took him all the way out there, in sloppy conditions, & the best I could put him onto was sweep.

Can you eat those yellow wrasse? does anyone know? If I'd caught the equivelent weight in snapper I'd be a happy man.

Well at least I was out of the house and it turned into a nice day.

How did everyone else go? Or are you all up at Frazer?

Cheers

Craig

Tassie JR
25-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Hey mate, we done about as good as you we ended up with 3 good size pearlies and about 500 undersized ones around the 30-33 cm mark it sucks when you have to throw them back when there only 2cm undersize.

cheers tassie JR

Angla
25-05-2008, 05:42 PM
You get those days.

It was odd for me to get a feed from a charter trip. $ more than you fuel.

Chris

Nofishtoobig
25-05-2008, 05:46 PM
The fishing seems a bit of a let down the last few weeks, consistancy is not good and the reports are mixed, it might be the water quality throwing the fish after having an extended rain season after a few short ones, and the water qual getting too clean now, im thinking there still out wider, or north or south of the area, the bait shows and other pelagic reports tend to agree with it too. still beats workin though.

Nofishtoobig
25-05-2008, 05:49 PM
:d :d :d :d

cptpott
25-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Yeh tassie,
I did hook up on a nice red cod - 2 cm undersize - back you go!
Heaps of undersize spangled emporer as well.

ah well - se la vie

cptpott
25-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Yep fellas it does beat working.
Did also pick up what I thought was a fusileer, but now I'm not so sure.
Yellow & Blue but with a much blunter head. I'm wondering id it may have been a juvenile mahi mahi. (didn't take a photo)
Any thoughts?

lippa
25-05-2008, 07:11 PM
we got a few out there, we call em fusilers, tasty they reakon.

Skusto
26-05-2008, 05:15 PM
we went out on sunday didnt get out till about 9 ended up with 5 squire and one unstoppable that dogged us into the reef and cut the leader:(, had to work hard for them to not much around. we also got a 45cm amberjack but let him go as we didnt know the size limit on them or if they have any do they? had a look in our dpi print out but couldnt find them. oh and should say wasnt it perfect out there at about 4 was like a milk pond pitty the fish went dead altogether after that.

cptpott
26-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Hey skusto, it may well have been a milk pond at 4pm but it was as slopy as anything at 8 am. we had one badly timed wave come over the bow and up to the windscreen - and I'm in a 6m boat!
You are quite right mate the DPI have no AJ listing, neither did the back of my tide chart from the tackle shop. However when I did a search of the DPI site, I found a record of a meeting in Tin Can bay of rec fishers & dpi that discussed bag limits for AJs and recommended 5, no size limit 'though.
maybe someone else could shed some light?
Might be worth a new thread?
Anyway mate glad you got five squire, were you around hutchies? or did you go out wider. I was talking to a couple of fellas at the ramp who were heading wide out the front of moreton. Perhaps I should have followed?!

tenzing
26-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Craig, the situation was the same all along in front of Moreton too.
We left Scarborough at 3am! and were on our first drift at Smiths at 4am. We fished all of the shoals east of the cape before heading up to hutchies. We bottom bashed , used soft plastics , found bait balls on the sounder and used knife jigs, fished livies, and finally trolled some bridled whiptails for cobia around western rocks.
Grand total in the esky; 40 cm moses perch (my son picked up at 4;15 am)and a gold spot wrasse at Brennans.
We had all kinds of bait, all the possible gear and put in 8 hours and 100 litres in the victory. (nice boat by the way Craig.)
Thanks to Phil from BCF for the instruction (he wants to be known as "spew boy "from now on)I'm sure on another day it will pay off.
Cheers Brendan

PS it was hardly a mill pond at 4am either

cptpott
26-05-2008, 06:22 PM
hey Brendan, thanks mate. So its not just me - it is the fishing at the moment!
Yup the victory is a nice boat, it's my second seafarer and it hasn't let me down. That's a nice photo of yours on the plane in your avatar.
I wnt through a bit under 100 l as well. I left from Scbr at about 4:30am or so. and it was a bumpy ride across the bay - I think seabreeze was a bit early with its prediction.
How long have you had your Victory? Is that an etec or a Johnson on the back?
Why tenzing? Wasn't he Edmund Hillary's sherpa?
Cheers

Craig

Angla
26-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Brendan,

I felt sorry for you guys as we were heading out in a 55 footer. We could feel the slight swell and some of the waves knocked a few off balance a bit. Sounds like the fishing was dead that direction but we caught a few. No bag limits mind you, and even the spanner crabs were a little scarce with the first 2 dillies coming up empty. Crew said it was a bit poor.

Will see about planning another trip shortly. I would be interested to take both boats maybe.

Chris

cptpott
26-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Hey Angla, saw your post. Fish & Crab were pretty good when I organised an office "team building day" with them a couple of years ago. We gota swag of fish
What boat have you got when your not on a charter?

Angla
26-05-2008, 06:39 PM
I was happy with the charter. Its the sort of day where you can veg out and still fish too.

Cruise Craft 575 outsider

Sorry to hijack your thread talking to Tenzing

Chris

cptpott
26-05-2008, 06:48 PM
That's Ok mate, happy to help facillitate discussion.
Crusecraft are a nice boat. esp. the walkaround outsider. That's the only thing I dont like about the Victory, but I didn't have the 100 odd grand for the voyager.

Reel Blue
26-05-2008, 06:49 PM
My son and I went over to the cape late Sat afternoon and returned about 7:45pm. The fish were unexpectedly quiet and he ended up catching this cod that had previously run me into the reef twice. He was quite happy about that. (The same fish as it was still wearing my hooks.)

tenzing
26-05-2008, 06:56 PM
hey Brendan, thanks mate. So its not just me - it is the fishing at the moment!
Yup the victory is a nice boat, it's my second seafarer and it hasn't let me down. That's a nice photo of yours on the plane in your avatar.
I wnt through a bit under 100 l as well. I left from Scbr at about 4:30am or so. and it was a bumpy ride across the bay - I think seabreeze was a bit early with its prediction.
How long have you had your Victory? Is that an etec or a Johnson on the back?
Why tenzing? Wasn't he Edmund Hillary's sherpa?
Cheers

Craig
Craig, Had the boat 6 months today. Has been the money pit getting it just how I wanted it with electronics etc and the brakes on the trailer needed a rebuild.
The donk is evinrude 175 not etec although 2004 model so etecs were already around.
Tenzing was the sherpa indeed. I have done some mountain biking and I preferred the climbing to the downhill thus the nickname.
Cheers Brendan

cptpott
26-05-2008, 08:20 PM
My son and I went over to the cape late Sat afternoon and returned about 7:45pm. The fish were unexpectedly quiet and he ended up catching this cod that had previously run me into the reef twice. He was quite happy about that. (The same fish as it was still wearing my hooks.)

LOL
And let that be a lesson to all of us that "greed shall be your undoing"

Hope he tastes delicious!;D

cptpott
26-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Craig, Had the boat 6 months today. Has been the money pit getting it just how I wanted it with electronics etc and the brakes on the trailer needed a rebuild.
The donk is evinrude 175 not etec although 2004 model so etecs were already around.
Tenzing was the sherpa indeed. I have done some mountain biking and I preferred the climbing to the downhill thus the nickname.
Cheers Brendan

Thanks Brendan, done a bit of rock-climbing myself in my younger day, and lived in the upper blue mountains for a while ( Blue water fishing isn’t real good there! Tried to catch a trout once in the cox's river, saw the thing in a foot of water, threw everything in the tackle box at it - no joy. Should have actually thrown the tackle box, would have had more success)
If you only went through 100litres and you went to the eastern side of moreton then the 175 isnt doing a bad job I reckon. I went to hutchies and then towards flinders then to bulwer and a bit of driving around, and the round trip was 109 kms which is about 1/2 a tank with the 200 etec. So your economy sounds OK. have you worked out how much distance per litre?

honda900
26-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Yep, same,
we fished the front of moreton, 29,s 35s square patch for one keeper, was tough fishing, least the weather was nice..

regards
Honda

tenzing
26-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks Brendan, done a bit of rock-climbing myself in my younger day, and lived in the upper blue mountains for a while ( Blue water fishing isn’t real good there! Tried to catch a trout once in the cox's river, saw the thing in a foot of water, threw everything in the tackle box at it - no joy. Should have actually thrown the tackle box, would have had more success)
If you only went through 100litres and you went to the eastern side of moreton then the 175 isnt doing a bad job I reckon. I went to hutchies and then towards flinders then to bulwer and a bit of driving around, and the round trip was 109 kms which is about 1/2 a tank with the 200 etec. So your economy sounds OK. have you worked out how much distance per litre?

yeah, we actually did 120 km on 93 litres. Usually averages 4k to 3l or 1 1/3 km per litre. I tend to sit at around 50 km/hr at 4000 rpm using 35l/hr give or take.
Currently have the original s/steel tank. I think it is about 150l but hard to tell exactly without running her dry. I carry a tote tank with 45l and have a 2nd intake off the filter and tap in the main line. I am not keen to use the reserve unless desperate as I am told the flow rate may be stretched by the 175 and there is a risk of running lean and stuffing her.
As I have 50l fresh water tank in the centre as well I would like to upgrade to 200l under floor fuel and put the fresh water in a bladder either in the spare tub on the transom (maybe too much weight aft with live tank other side) or more likely in one of the seat boxes. Any thoghts?? What is your setup?
Brendan

cptpott
26-05-2008, 09:56 PM
yeah, we actually did 120 km on 93 litres. Usually averages 4k to 3l or 1 1/3 km per litre. I tend to sit at around 50 km/hr at 4000 rpm using 35l/hr give or take.
Currently have the original s/steel tank. I think it is about 150l but hard to tell exactly without running her dry. I carry a tote tank with 45l and have a 2nd intake off the filter and tap in the main line. I am not keen to use the reserve unless desperate as I am told the flow rate may be stretched by the 175 and there is a risk of running lean and stuffing her.
As I have 50l fresh water tank in the centre as well I would like to upgrade to 200l under floor fuel and put the fresh water in a bladder either in the spare tub on the transom (maybe too much weight aft with live tank other side) or more likely in one of the seat boxes. Any thoghts?? What is your setup?
Brendan

Yeh mate, I think putting your freshwater aft will be a bit too much weight. I have a triangle shaped freshwater bladder forward under the cabin cushions that's plummed into the deckwash with a tap to isolate fresh from raw water, so I can wash down with salt during the trip and then a turn of the tap and I've got fresh for a quick squirt to wash the salt off the windscreen or every where else on the way home or even as a shower after we've been diving or camping.
I've got a 200 l stainless fuel tank. I just assumed yours would too?!
What year is your boat?
I also do about 50ks at 4000 but it sits on the plane at 3000 and 40ks wich when travelling across a bumpy bay is reasonably comfortable.
Cheers
Craig

cptpott
26-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Ps Brendan If youre on the northside of brisy I'm happy to show you the setup anytime if it helps.

tenzing
26-05-2008, 11:19 PM
she is a 2004 model. I'm owner no. 3 . Had 100 hrs when I got her .I've done 60 this year and have made a few changes. I'm on the northside .might be able to check it out sometime. Brendan

TimiBoy
27-05-2008, 05:08 AM
I'm doing the 35's today. I'm going to do Bill Corten's trick. If they're on the sounder, but they're not biting, move. I'm going to move after 20 minutes each time. I WANT to catch SOME FISH TODAY!!!!;D;D;D;D

cptpott
27-05-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm doing the 35's today. I'm going to do Bill Corten's trick. If they're on the sounder, but they're not biting, move. I'm going to move after 20 minutes each time. I WANT to catch SOME FISH TODAY!!!!;D;D;D;D

So how did you go Timiboy?
Did the tactic work?

I wanna see some pics of big fish!

Skusto
27-05-2008, 05:10 PM
yeah mate we ended up goin wide and seeing if they were running yet. still awhile yet till it will get betta the size isnt really there but like i said were still early come july should see betta results we ended up doin 165klms for the days trip on about 80 l of fuel. :) and like u said in the morning it wasnt to great especially coming around the cape and going into that chop. will be back out there in 2 weeks hopefully weather permitting of course!

cptpott
27-05-2008, 05:28 PM
That's pretty good going on the fuel skusto, 2k's per litre.
What's the boat & motor?
Unfortunately I'm away with work over the next couple of weeks so I'll miss out on the next new moon, mind you the weather this weekend looks terrible!

revs57
28-05-2008, 06:16 AM
Yeah craig, i'm hearin ya...all we hope for is one good fish, anything more than that is a bonus, but as others have said, it has been very patchy the last few weeks.

Hard enough to scratch up a feed let alone getting onto anything of size and with the price of fuel, it makes a lean trip just that much more disappointing.

But "That's fishing" as they say...(if I hear that one more time I'm gonna...#$%*&%$#@ - say something I'm gonna regret!!!!!)

Cheers

Rhys

Skusto
28-05-2008, 06:34 PM
That's pretty good going on the fuel skusto, 2k's per litre.
What's the boat & motor?
Unfortunately I'm away with work over the next couple of weeks so I'll miss out on the next new moon, mind you the weather this weekend looks terrible!

yeah were pretty happy with it.. its a 560 bar crusher with a 115 4st yam banger. yeah weather is looking pretty bad bit of a pitty bought a new rod wanna go try it out. :( oh well save some money on not goin out. i was quite amazed though how many ppl were out last wkend i dont think fuel prices are affecting to many people.

cptpott
29-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Mmm, I spose when there is the promise of decent weather and there's an expensive boat sitting in the driveway we might be prepared to go without other things that week and get out on the water.