PDA

View Full Version : barra set up

shorty 01
25-05-2008, 03:55 PM
G'day guys

im goin to start fishing for barra and i just wanted to know what would be a good barra rod set up be.

cheers davo

TonyM
25-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Hi Davo,

There,s plenty of good options out there.

Probably would be a good idea if you can advise the budget you have to spend on rod and reel, and whether you'll be chasing impoundment Barra or wild ones?

Will you be bait fishing or lure casting?

Knowing the answer to all of these will help to make sure you get a setup you'll be happy with

Cheers
Tony

shorty 01
25-05-2008, 04:07 PM
hi tony

im going to be lure casting and goin for the wild ones. thanx mate ill go and have a look around.

cheers davo

dog tooth
25-05-2008, 05:58 PM
check out the daiwa saltist hrf it's a good reel, i fish 30lb on it,
no problems

cheers
dog tooth

shorty 01
26-05-2008, 07:31 PM
dog tooth

thanx mate

PNG1M
31-05-2008, 12:15 AM
I'd go for something like a Shimano t-curve 5" 8' (8-10kg rating) with a Shimano Calcutta CT 400 reel. Spool it up with some 20kg YGK Ultra x8 dyneema and some decent quality 60lb nylon leader, learn some good knots and you'll be set.

For that set up you'd be looking at up to $250 for the rod alone and the reel, brand new maybe $400+ depending on the supplier. You can pick up good used ones on eBay if you hunt around.

Alternatively, decide on your budget and visit a few tackle shops and see what the staff can advise you on according to how much you're prepared to spend.

NAGG
31-05-2008, 09:28 AM
::) Your Budget really comes into play on this one ....... as it is easy to spend $800-$1000 without even trying!
Whatever you do ..... buy quality! ... That way if you like barraing , you wont feel the need to upgrade :( The gear will handle your quarry ....... & if you dont like it ..... you'll be able to sell it at a reasonable price!

Personally .... I feel that the low profile baitcasters are the best reel option as they are more versatile than the drum types ( cast both lighter & heavier lures with ease & nowhere near as tiresome to use! ...... loaded with 30lb braid it will handle your average wild fish:) ) Abu Revo SX @ $200ish >>> Daiwa Super Tuned Advantage , Hard rock fish _ Shimano Curado will all fit in the $250-$300 mark >>> Above that you could look at the Daiwa Zillion _ Shimano Chronarch & Calais These will set you back $370-$480 ..... Note : If you dont mind buying overseas you'll save enough to pay for a rod8-)

With regard to rods ...... The choice can be endless & prices range from low $100 to high $600s ...... There are some really decent ones that fall into the $200- $250 mark ........ Shimano T Curve , Starlo Stix Tournament pro _ Nitro range _ ...... I'd be happy enough to just use these :)
The more expensive rods $300-$500 will see you with some awesome options ,,,,,, You'll hear many mention & rave about the Egrels (fanatics;) ) I use Loomis .... but I would really only recommend the GL3s @ $350-$450 (Ultra robust & very light) CR722 , MBR784C & CR655 ... depending on rod length preferred .
One really good point about the Nitro & Loomis rods which make them very good options ..... Is that they both have a good warranty ( break a Loomis & it costs you $150 for a new replacement) ( Break a Nitro & it costs you $80 to replace the broken section ..... All 2 piece rods) Now in a mangrove environment where lures get hung up or graphite rods get knocked on aluminium gunnel's ...... Rods are easily broken ...... just something to keep in mind.8-)
Finally ..... Line ( dont skimp) I'd go 30lb Nitlon ...... I've tried I reckon at least 10 different brands of braid & its the standout .. IMAO ( $55)

So this is the world according to Nagg ..... Hopefully , You'll hear many more options from others

Cheers & Enjoy a great target species

Nagg

BARRAkid
31-05-2008, 09:42 AM
i would go a saltist hrf or a luna they both will handle barra nicely.
I use to have a hrf and it landed me quite a few barra and now i have upgraded to a zillion.