PDA

View Full Version : Custom tank for Viking

tsea
25-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Hi there,

I am the proud new owner of a classic 82 Viking and am in need of a new fuel tank.
It has an alloy tank (80l) set up under the transom however it has corroded and leaks.
So i want to put new tank in the centre of the boat in the kill tank.
Any thoughts on who can make one for me? Alloy or stainless?
The puzzle is the breather with the tank in this position....
I want to do this because i will upgrade engine soon and am concerned about weight down back the the dual batt setup and live bait tank.
It has a 115 Yamaha which is lighter than new 4 stroke/2stroke options.

Look forward to sharing a few pics next week and the story of my interstate journey.

Thanks
TC
:)

Sea Mistress
25-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Hi tsea,
I have a 90 model Viking with a custom 150 litre stainless (316) tank sitting in the centre floor storage area. Breathers and filler are easy, it’s the same setup as the new model seafarers have. I have twin breathers one a each end of the tank and they are connected with fuel hose to twin outlets high in the splash well and a filler cap also in the splash well that connects to the rear of the tank for easy filling at the servo.
If you don’t require this much fuel you could think about making a smaller tank say 100 litres and keeping the remainder of the under floor area for a kill tank or wet storage etc.
Good luck with the new (old) Viking, they go well with a 115 on them mine gets about 72kph with a 2 stroke 115 johnson, which is plenty fast enough for my needs..

Cheers Craig.

pedrodepacus
26-05-2008, 07:05 AM
hey mate im at burleigh gardens and could have a look at it for you if you like give me a call if you like 55936550

Noelm
26-05-2008, 09:04 AM
pretty simple job to put a tank in the centre storage/kill tank of a Viking, been done heaps of times, I seem to remember a certain size stainless "off the shelf" cruise tank fits straight in, but it is not externally vented or fillable, so best off to get a custom job, vents are usually over the Transom into the Motor well or wherever suits you and the filler is also usually in the Motor well, this is because you can drill a hole in the stern end of the Storage area and run your plumbing up into the Motor well easily.

tsea
26-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Thanks Noelm
I like the idea of the filler in the motor well and going into the storage area.
I was going to measure up for the stainless cruise tank. I think custom stainless would be best but cost $$?

Who should i talk to on the Gold Coast?
I only found 1 in the yellow pages.

Cheers
TC

Chimo
26-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Hi TC

When you drop your tank in make sure you install a number of strips (3 or 4) of teflon running bow to stern under the tank. If you don't allow air space between the tank and the fibreglass beneath it, the tank will eventually develop leak thru pin holes on the base caused by electrolysis. Takes time but it will happen.

This has been my experience caused by the failure of the tank installer to fit teflon strips when the tank was orinially installed at the factory.

Cheers
Chimo

tsea
26-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Good thinking Chimo.
The boat came with a nice alloy tank under the transom. It has pinhole corrosion big time where it appears to have been incontact with some timber packing material which has stayed wet.

Cheers
TC

tsea
27-05-2008, 06:55 PM
I've been and had a close measure of the underfloor storage.
2000 x 570x 170. This rules out the cruisetanks on height. :'(

Does anyone know who can make a custom alloy or stainless tank on the GC
or Brisbane?

Cheers
TC

Pual44
27-05-2008, 08:27 PM
G'day, You could try Ark Marine Welding at Geebung - 3865 4107

They have been helpfull in making up stainless peices for me in the past.

Give them a try.

Cheers Tsea

pedrodepacus
28-05-2008, 06:25 AM
boatfit ,schipps marineand stainless john the owner of schipps is a really good stainless worker and i think he still makes all the targas and stainless stuff for seafarer but not 100% on that one i havent seen him for a while.