PDA

View Full Version : navman tracker 5430i gps - opinions? anyone have one or used one?

dooley
25-05-2008, 02:23 PM
hey guys,

while i'm on the hunt for a big boat, still have the little tinny and want to get a small gps.

anyone have an opinion on the Navman tracker 5430i gps - it's a superceded model but cheap - are they worth buying, any positive/negative experiences with them ?

cheers,
d

Sorry guys - i've posted this in the wrong forum - if a mod reads this could you please move to Electrionics chat - apologies again

BM
25-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Dooley,

I have installed in customers boats the Navman 5500i (colour plotter only) and the, I think, 5100i? the black and white version. I have not installed and used a combo unit though. (those model numbers are now outdated)

I have found these models to be very good. The black and white units I don't like so much, in any brand but the colour unit I think was great.

Black and white requires you to actually read the screen to see whats going on whereas the colour units give you instant recognition of water or ground. Very easy to tell at a quick glance.

I have used the 5500i on a dual installation setup in a flybridge and have found it very good. There is better and more expensive out there but in life there always is. They do the job and do it well.

Cheers

stevea
25-05-2008, 07:16 PM
That would be me. I have that GPS. got it cheap a few years ago for $299. I had a Garmin tracker prior to this Navman Chartplotter & I cursed the chartplotter for about 4 trips. I dont have a chart so I couldnt zoom in and only use it as a plotter. (I dont navagate in high trafic areas and only travel from my reef marks to mooloolaba or caloundra).

I finally studied the manual (Please dont tell anyone,) and found that a setting called "plotter mode"(or something like that). Once I turned that on, I could zoom in closer than 5kms. Nowdays I am getting used to it, it does take me to where I need to go, but dont like the big button on the front as it is a bit sticky and I cant see the screen in full sun very well.

I have decided to upgrade the GPS and my sounder & MY Boat . In my new boat I will not be buying a Navman GPS. Most likley another Garmin or a Furuno combo. 1700F.

This model GPS is probally worth $299 but if I had some more $, I would be looking at others.

lethal098
26-05-2008, 08:25 AM
DOOLEY, i have been using navman trackers for about 3years in my boat and friends boats that i have installed for them , the boats range from 17 foot to 42 ft and have never had a problem with them, some of them colour and some black and white. good value for money and very easy unit to use compared to some others on the market. good luck