PDA

View Full Version : I've Been Playing

kingtin
25-05-2008, 12:29 PM
This may interest those who have a rebate for a stern seat but no seat. How I utilise the rebates.

I had it in my mind that the rebates used to house a rear seat option would enable the holding of a board along the transom to house some rod holders. Unfortunately, as you can see, and I didn't see initially, the gunnel at the transom either side is rounded off and protruding over, preventing a board being slotted in.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/bidkev/Portfolio/boat%20rally/before.jpg

As I'd already cut the wood to size, I decided to cut it in two so that each piece could be slotted in from the side and the two pieces would be held together along the full length of the bottom with ally channel and another smaller piece along the top as in a "gate latch". To access the batteries I simply lift the top piece of ally channel and take out the smaller piece of wood.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/bidkev/Portfolio/boat%20rally/after.jpg

Poodroo
25-05-2008, 12:43 PM
You play well Kev. Should I bring my boat to your place to let you play with it as well? :P ;D

Poodroo

wags on the water
25-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Kev,
It looks great. How long did it take you to think up and design this masterpiece? You should go into business, because I'm sure you would excel with attention to detail.

Nice work,

Wags

johnny roger
25-05-2008, 01:18 PM
hey kev,
Nice work. what is this rebate you get? is it with a new boat deal or something?
John

kingtin
25-05-2008, 01:22 PM
You play well Kev. Should I bring my boat to your place to let you play with it as well? :P ;D

Poodroo

You should be out on the water buggerlugs. ;D

kev

kingtin
25-05-2008, 01:23 PM
hey kev,
Nice work. what is this rebate you get? is it with a new boat deal or something?
John

I meant the rebates (channels) either side for the rear seat to slot into ;D

kev

kingtin
25-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Kev,
It looks great. How long did it take you to think up and design this masterpiece? You should go into business, because I'm sure you would excel with attention to detail.

Nice work,

Wags

Wags, I thought of it when they asked if I wanted a rear seat, thinking it was a waste of space, but didn't realise that the wood wouldn't drop into the channels till later. Thanks for the compliment mate but I'm the world's worst when it comes to doing things..........I can think 'em up but can't implement.............I normally have 2 or 3 goes, and twice as much material as necessary till I get it right ::) ;D

Messing about in boats is fun though ;D

I've got cramp in both hands at the moment from pulling a cycle inner tube (one of those thorn proof ones) over the anchor chain..............wouldn't want to scratch that pretty paint now, would we? ;D

kev

ffejsmada
25-05-2008, 03:57 PM
hey kev,
John

Hahahahaha lol you're a funny guy!!!!!::)

MyEscape
26-05-2008, 04:55 AM
Kev,

Your comment about the inner tube. Now there's an idea. Have you got a photo of this? I've just bought a new Seayjay (painted very nicely) and dread the thought of dragging the anchor chain over this.

Regards

Steve

skippa
26-05-2008, 07:15 AM
G'day Kev,

Another positive from tubing over your anchor chain is ... quietness ... works wonders when your fishing at night, bream fishing or you just need to keep the noise down. I used black Zip ties bout a foot apart to keep mine inplace.

Good job on ya gadget board too Kev. I haven't read the boards much lately so please excuse my ignorance, I know the Whitleys gone but whats the replacement???

Cheers,
Tony

kingtin
26-05-2008, 08:24 AM
G'day Kev,

Another positive from tubing over your anchor chain is ... quietness ... works wonders when your fishing at night, bream fishing or you just need to keep the noise down. I used black Zip ties bout a foot apart to keep mine inplace.

Good job on ya gadget board too Kev. I haven't read the boards much lately so please excuse my ignorance, I know the Whitleys gone but whats the replacement???

Cheers,
Tony

I wondered where you'd got to Tony, hope everything is fine with you and yours.

here's my new baby :-)

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=131110

kev

kingtin
26-05-2008, 08:30 AM
Kev,

Your comment about the inner tube. Now there's an idea. Have you got a photo of this? I've just bought a new Seayjay (painted very nicely) and dread the thought of dragging the anchor chain over this.

Regards

Steve

Yeah, here ya go Steve. The inner tube is one of the thorn proof ones from Big W & $10. They're as tough as old boots and I reckon they'd wear well on reef, unlike the standard......... get the 26" that fits tyres up to 1.90. Thread string through it to pull the first bit of chain into it. Then, tie some string to the back end of the chain and tie it off on something solid. You then have to pull on the tube, inching it up a bit at a time. It's a tight fit if your chain is as thick as mine, if it's thinner, you can tie it on with zip ties as tony has done.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/bidkev/Portfolio/boat%20rally/anchor.jpg

the gecko
26-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Love the inner tube kev. Im a stickler for dropping the anchor quietly in the rivers at night. I must get one of those.

It would cut down on boat/chain noise?

Andrew

kingtin
26-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Love the inner tube kev. Im a stickler for dropping the anchor quietly in the rivers at night. I must get one of those.

It would cut down on boat/chain noise?

Andrew

Yeah Andrew. I was off woody point early one morning, pitch black and not a boat light to be seen but I could hear this weird scraping sound. I was in only 7 ft of water and it wasn't till I pulled anchor that the noise stopped. I realised then that it was the chain scraping on the shale bottom and I've never used chain in shallow water since. I suppose it makes just as much noise in deep (as far as the fish are concerned) but I blanked that day and have been back since without chain and never blanked. The inner tube hopefully will allow me to use chain again with a bit more confidence.

kev

the gecko
26-05-2008, 02:53 PM
I had a similar issue kev. It sounded like a crackling electric sound when anchored in 8 ft of water. I was so concerned that I disconnected the battery and still I had the same sound. Its happened only 3 times all up, and now I know what it was. Anchor scraping on structure in the river. I do prefer rocky ground when I fish, so that musta been it.

Im off to big W.

cheers
Andrew

stevea
26-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Nice work, you could add a drink holder?

kingtin
26-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Nice work, you could add a drink holder?

;D;D;D

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/bidkev/Portfolio/boat%20rally/drinkholder.jpg

kev

sheridan
26-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Thanks Kingtin

That idea with the tube is great might save the front of the haines a bit when the wife pulls the anchor in.

Geoff

kingtin
26-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Thanks Kingtin

That idea with the tube is great might save the front of the haines a bit when the wife pulls the anchor in.

Geoff

Yeah mate, I have the same problem with mine...............you just can't get the staff nowadays ;D

kev

Reel Nauti
26-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Looks great Kev!

Would it make it easier to get the tube on if it was soaked in hot water for a while??

2 quick questions:
1. Does the black start coming off the tube after a while?
2. In a muddy situation, would the tube hold enough of it to continually ooze it every where for months to come?

Cheers

Dave

kingtin
26-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Looks great Kev!

Would it make it easier to get the tube on if it was soaked in hot water for a while??

2 quick questions:
1. Does the black start coming off the tube after a while?
2. In a muddy situation, would the tube hold enough of it to continually ooze it every where for months to come?

Cheers

Dave

Dave, this is the first time I've used the tube as I didn't even know this thornproof stuff existed. I used thick hose previously, that was slit along it's length and held in place with cable ties. It wasn't as flexible though. As for the mud, I always wash everything down with a gurney, including the anchor.

kev

Davey1
26-05-2008, 09:26 PM
That tube is a brilliant idea, I'm off to Big W tomorrow too. :)

How long do you reckon it will be until some marine shop like BCF gets their Chinese manufacturer to cut the valve out of these tubes en mass & market them as anchor chain protectors for boats in a fancy package for $19.95. Wholesale cost of tube with a BCF logo on it say $3, packaging 50 cents, hello early retirement ;D

haggis
26-05-2008, 09:44 PM
good idea along the back of your boat kev .
the inner tube is great , the black does not come of the tube through time .
the only time I have had to replace the tubes is when the logs of awoonga stole my anchor in January .
cheers haggis

thelump
27-05-2008, 03:08 PM
I reckpon some electrical type heat shrink might work as well. Has anyone tried this.:-/

Scott nthQld
27-05-2008, 03:42 PM
It might be a bit too thin to have much of a sound deadening effect. It would be worth a try though if you could find a large enough diameter.

Rosie M
27-05-2008, 07:39 PM
[quote=sheridan;829001]Thanks Kingtin

Geoff[/quote

Careful Sheridan;D

Rosie M
27-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Yeah mate, I have the same problem with mine...............you just can't get the staff nowadays ;D

kev

;D Kingtin, most people who work in health have a longer than usual middle finger.;D . Yeah staffing can be a slight issue.;D . Ask Sheridan;D .

Chimo
27-05-2008, 07:59 PM
The rubber tube over the chain does quieten it down but after a short while the gal chain will rust badly and thats even after rinsing in fresh water after use and trying to dry it. I took mine off and just lowered it carefully and also draped some out door carpet between the bow sprit and the anchor locker. Nice and quiet too.

Not trying to be a wet blanket but not every clouds lining is silver.

Cheers
Chimo