PDA

View Full Version : What do i need re monduran(besides stones green ginger wine))

chewy01
24-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Ok going to try and get a leave pass for the june long w/end. We will be camping as andy has to have a campfire.Iv fished monduran coming out of winter but never going into winter.Normally i fish b52s bombers classics etc with some s/p s.and now some big rapalas. my plan as always will be to drive round find some warm shallow water,bait and turtles(i like fishing with them)fish slow and cover the ground iv picked really well.is ther anythig anyone can add.Also on a different note is there shrimp in monduran ie wood it be worth fishing a prawnstar.they work really well on the saltys at mackay.
cheers chewy...

Whitto
25-05-2008, 06:22 AM
Ok going to try and get a leave pass for the june long w/end. We will be camping as andy has to have a campfire.Iv fished monduran coming out of winter but never going into winter.Normally i fish b52s bombers classics etc with some s/p s.and now some big rapalas. my plan as always will be to drive round find some warm shallow water,bait and turtles(i like fishing with them)fish slow and cover the ground iv picked really well.is ther anythig anyone can add.Also on a different note is there shrimp in monduran ie wood it be worth fishing a prawnstar.they work really well on the saltys at mackay.
cheers chewy...Chewy you seem to be on the money Lure wise, as far as Prawnstars go my B in Law uses them on Native Barra successfully, as u know the Barra in Monduran/ Awoonga are big u will more than likely have to beef up the trebbles, whether that will interfere with the action of a Prawnstar I don't know, the only thing I can see is its different to what these Barra get thrown at them and just might entise them to ambush, I say take the PS and see what happens.
Look for the difference in water temp and work the points, Lantana is worth casting too and a snaggy spot that looks good to you Hammer it.....Good luck with your trip,let us all know how u went.........Whitto PS keep checking this post as others more knowledgable than I will offer advise, call into Foxies he will give u the good oil

Steve B
25-05-2008, 12:20 PM
I think whitto and yourself has basically covered 90% of possible tatics. You should be a god chance of a fish. As for prawn stars....why not?? Beef em up a bit. there are some pretty good yabbie plastics around too, could be worth a shot. I know I saw a fish gutted at Awoonga once that had a big yabbie in its guts!!....stones is essential!! love a dash in the beer on chili winter night!!!

Steve

chewy01
25-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Thans Steve,may be chasing you for some pain relief in the mornings.Least the fish dont get up till a respectable hour now.

nipsta
25-05-2008, 06:01 PM
i would take some fire wood to get the fire going the first night rather then having to chase some up up there
and i would try every lure if need be i reckon more in the water the more chance ya have of getting them to react to something .

Gordie
25-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Chewy I have caught a few Shrimp in the shallows in Bird Bay.

( I think the catties took them in about 30 seconds ) but at least we know that the Barra will recognise a shrimp, so go for the Pawnstars.

Good luck.

Regards Gordon

bazz
25-05-2008, 08:55 PM
cheers chewy...

Hi Chewy01 I would try the plastic frogs that foxes havoc has in his shop as a couple of weeks ago i caught all my fish on them the biggest 107cm, Cast to the shallows and twich it back very slow, worked for me then give it a try if you like casting. Other than that we caught fish in bay B and I when we were there.
Hope this helps Bazz

eotbmg
25-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Confidence that you are doing the right thing, and from your original post its sounds pretty good. Find an area that should hold fish, and flog it to a foam.
Ben

chewy01
25-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks all, ill be calling in to see foxie.Does anyone have any idea how ppl charge their minn kota batteries wen they camp. iv got a lead made to charge off the 4 stroke but i dont think its good for the battery.would an inverter run a 10 amp charger?

Roo
26-05-2008, 10:43 AM
to charge "your" batteries I can recommend stones green ginger wine!!!
otherwise, find a power point. there should be one in the camp kitchen. We'll be in a cabin if you are able to remove the battery easily for charging. we'll be pulling ours out each night for a few amps of boost. there wasn't a powerpoint out on the deck so we just dragged it inside at night. There was a power point in the switchboard outside our cabin last time but it didn't have any juice.

Cheers Roo.

chewy01
26-05-2008, 12:06 PM
yes good old stones. I might give rob a ring and find out wat the go is. I dont think there is any powered site where you can have a fire ring.I have no problem paying for a powered site but camping somewhere where i can have a fire.Otherwise i might be able to just charge it in robs shed.it only takes about two hours or so.Actually there may be a powered site down near the camp kitchen that has a fire ring.think they run an ext. lead or something.normally i wake these ppl up when im having a cuppa in summer.

themissus
26-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Rob and Kelly will usually let you charge it at the kiosk. As Roo said, more than welcome to charge at our cabin if needed. Great idea on the prawn stars. I have some 4 inch prongs i'm going to throw in now.
See you up there, this is shaping up to be a top weekend!!
Cheers Kim

themissus
26-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Oh and a bottle or two of Canadian Club;)
Cheers Kim

chewy01
26-05-2008, 03:30 PM
thanks,
was hoping to bring the better half but she works in emerg.dept local hospital and its the stupid worlds gr8est pub crawl that weekend so the chances of getting a swap arent good.ill give rob a ring. ill probably try tying up a bit anyway so hopefully it will last a couple days.Havent had can. club for years,might give it a nudge.haven given an offering to the weather gods so everything is crossed.

Gordie
26-05-2008, 06:30 PM
You lot are entertaining. Just make sure you have clear heads in the mornings when playing with those sharp hooks.

Dont forget to give us a report.

Winter fishing is always a challenge.

Regards Gordon

BR65
26-05-2008, 07:03 PM
chewy, I know there is a sign at the camp kitchen re dont use the power points to charge your batteries, please contact reception, so Im sure R & K can help you out.
Otherwise, I know I can get 2 days out of my 130 trojan, reckon with the cold weather you will be tieing off and working the fishy spots pretty hard, so maybe it wont need chargeing????
good luck, hope you smack a big girl (barra that is;) )
cheers
brian

chewy01
26-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Yea,
if i get a fish it will be a bonus.hopefully ill have years to work these things out.Its more about a weekend with the boy and trying to put him on some more fish,get some entertaining video and keeping the fishing fire lit in him.he cast for 15 hours on the first trip without a hit till a 111cm ate his bomber uo in "c".Like i told him its all downhill from there.Knowing my luck ill be able to use the 30knts thats will be blowing to push me along. nothing catches the wind like a poly:)

BR65
26-05-2008, 08:28 PM
15 hours with out a touch, sounds like one of my trips mate, the boy must be keen to stick it out, good on him

Magella
27-05-2008, 08:45 AM
!5 hours without a touch he is already a true barra angler, great to hear he got rewarded for his efforts as a lot of guys give up after a couple of hours and spend the rest of there time around the camp whinging there is no fish. Again well done young fella.

Cheers Foxie

Roo
27-05-2008, 09:40 AM
!5 hours without a touch he is already a true barra angler

I must be a Guru by now:-[
3hrs for the first fish and over 200 since for Nought!!:-X
I need a fix man......gimmie some....i need a hit...wheres my dealer?8-)

Whitto
27-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Yep that sounds familiar cast the be-jesus at them for 15hrs, at least he got smashed to bits, On many of my trips I would have been happy as a dog with two XXXXX'S just to get bricked......Keep going Keep going....Cheers Whitto

Magella
27-05-2008, 03:54 PM
It might pay to pack a good pair of boots for the long weekend as I went up for a couple of hours this afernoon and could only find 20 degrees water temp so went back to the bays Jackie and I used to fish during winter when we were at Lake Monduran. I also used the same method which was to park the boat and walk the bank, today that saw the score come it at barra 3 me 0 plus a couple of good surface strikes without hooking up. All fish hit gambler cane toads green or the tree frog colour of horny toads although nothing was landed surface hits just metres from standing is amazing and at least the toads are not worth $15 each so it does not hurt as much to lose them.

Cheers Foxie

Roo
27-05-2008, 04:24 PM
I have a nice comfy pair of hiking boots I can pack in the kit. What hooks are you using with the toads? any weight or weightless?
Cheers Roo.

chewy01
27-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Ah attack of the toads.just watch out for the water dragons:)

Magella
29-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Roo, TT snagness 6/0 the lightest weight

Cheers Foxie

chewy01
29-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Do u have em foxie?

Roo
30-05-2008, 10:26 AM
cheers foxie, I've got a pack of Gama 6/0 EWG's and a pot of sticky weight. I'll give them a crack.