PDA

View Full Version : Boat size for FNQ

wags on the water
24-05-2008, 12:51 PM
I'd like to know your thoughts on a suitable size boat for fishing the reefs off Townsville as I might be heading that way this year or next. I would like to buy a CC 625 Outsider and firstly would like to know if it's too small or about the right size.

Cheers,

Wags

disorderly
24-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Didn't it win boat of the year a few years back?
If you were to ask Troy , he'd say that they handled the NQ 2 foot chop pretty well,I reckon.....http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif...Do you remember that thread?...lol

Seriously though Wags,that's the size and type of boat you would want for getting out 100 k's or so to the wider reefs off Townsville....

Scott

Scott nthQld
24-05-2008, 01:33 PM
yep good choice there mate, it would be near perfect for conditions up here. Just wish I had the money to buy one, then I'd be set.

Jabba_
24-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Thats a perfect size for the waters up north........ Have fun.... I was up that way last year (Mackay).... But I recon the fishing is better at Townsville, and the Barrier is not as far out then it is at Mackay....

Scott nthQld
24-05-2008, 01:51 PM
but if you keep heading north to Cairns, the reef is like 30km offshore, about half of what the distance from Townsville is

disorderly
24-05-2008, 02:04 PM
but if you keep heading north to Cairns, the reef is like 30km offshore, about half of what the distance from Townsville is

Scott the closest reefs off Mission here start about 35 k's out but they are pretty flogged out...why?... because when it's calm every man and his dog with a 4.5 tinny and bigger heads there....I have to go wider to get consistent catch's...45-70 km's out.....Same story off Cairns I think.
And yes I'm with you...I'd trade the 525 stacer in a heartbeat if I had the money to buy and run a 575-625 CC and we had a pontoon at the ramp....

Hey Jabba....when did they let you out of the doghouse,mate.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif
Hows the boat going?

Scott

GAD
24-05-2008, 06:04 PM
I have a 5m bowrider I take out from Cairns when ever I can, I go out 80 -90 km sometimes pick your day ,AND IF IT BLOWS UP HEAD IN, , but when its blowing as it is now I wish I had a 6 -7m centre cab .

Greg

FNQCairns
24-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Wags what sort of boat owner are you??, if you are the fair weather variety of which I have now solidly become a true 6+ is a comfortable minimum, will pay you back with a couple of extra hours outside before give up the bite and pull anchor.

If you are the type that will head out near anytime (within reason), can handle being anchored in 1.8m+ short period waves with flow and a 20kn wind each at an angle then a boat as big as you can transport and afford to buy and run (longboat even) would be an ideal choice for up here.

The bloody trade winds never stop:(

cheers fnq

wags on the water
24-05-2008, 06:27 PM
The boat of choice will be the cruisecraft 625 outsider. My back won't put up with a tincan anymore. I just have to get back to work to finance it. ;)

Jabba_
24-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Scott the closest reefs off Mission here start about 35 k's out but they are pretty flogged out...why?... because when it's calm every man and his dog with a 4.5 tinny and bigger heads there....I have to go wider to get consistent catch's...45-70 km's out.....Same story off Cairns I think.
And yes I'm with you...I'd trade the 525 stacer in a heartbeat if I had the money to buy and run a 575-625 CC and we had a pontoon at the ramp....

Hey Jabba....when did they let you out of the doghouse,mate.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif
Hows the boat going?

Scott
Thursday 22nd.....
Un-called for in my opinion.... I only told a member he was a narrow minded peanut brain, and I got banned...

The boat going great.... Just wish I could get out more often....

Jabba_
24-05-2008, 08:32 PM
The boat of choice will be the cruisecraft 625 outsider. My back won't put up with a tincan anymore. I just have to get back to work to finance it. ;)
I went out to the 36's 6 weeks ago in a 625 outsider... Beautiful boat, well layed out but but it pounded into a head swell, and if your back is a problem I would look at the Hains Hunter 650 patriot or the Seafarer Vagabond..

Chimo
24-05-2008, 08:45 PM
And when / if you choose a Vagabond make sure you fit lenco (or similar) trim tabs to get the best ride out of the hull as the deep vee needs to kept upright so you knife thru rather than smack waves on the shoulders.

Probably the same could / should be said for most deep vee hulls. Don't waste you money on tabs on a stacer or similar hull - just get someone else to drive and you stand as far back as you can with you knees bent; you know the stance.

I must confess that the vag does do well in rough water as long as you keep the bow up esp if you slow down too much or you get a wet nose.

Good to see the old yella back on the scene; there was something I was going to ask you but as a GOM its gone just now.

Cheers
Chimo

Jabba_
24-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Hey Chimo all 3 boats I went out on had trim tabs and boy do they make a world off differance..... I also went out on a 680 Patriot, that boat has been boat tested by a Magizine... The first time out the tabs wern't working and ride was horrid to say the least. But with the tabs working, it was so much smoother.... If I was making the choice I would go the Vagabond. It may not look as good as the other 2, but it had the smoothest ride and it waas also the most stable out off the 3, plus including the 680 patriot...

Yeah I found the Vaga was a little wetter then the Patriot and Outsider... But that is something I don't mind trading for a smooth ride and stablility at rest.... Besides a binimi and clears will deal with any spray that comes off the bow...

Chimo, you have a foil in you cav plate.... How does that affect you boat in a following sea???

ifishcq1
24-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Wags what sort of boat owner are you??, if you are the fair weather variety of which I have now solidly become a true 6+ is a comfortable minimum, will pay you back with a couple of extra hours outside before give up the bite and pull anchor.

If you are the type that will head out near anytime (within reason), can handle being anchored in 1.8m+ short period waves with flow and a 20kn wind each at an angle then a boat as big as you can transport and afford to buy and run (longboat even) would be an ideal choice for up here.

The bloody trade winds never stop:(

cheers fnq

Listen to FNQ get a longboat you won't ever be sorry... just so happens I know of a good one at a givaway price

SL

3rd degree
25-05-2008, 02:24 AM
Got a mate up at Cardwell whos got a 26ft longboat and it rides the messy chop and swell really well.

Not the quickest but sure is a smooth ride.

Cheers

Jim

Chimo
25-05-2008, 07:26 AM
Jabba

Dont want to hi jack the thread so I'll pm re the foils but short answer is I dont see an issue with them; maybe I'm going too quick with the 2 13.5 * 20s to bog down.

Chimo

pilchardjones
25-05-2008, 07:43 AM
wags,
yes 6m+ is the go. anything smaller and you miss out on getting out there too often due to weather.
a mate has a 625 CC and he loves it. he had a longboat, but wanted to trade up as to low freeboard gave him a couple of frights i think.
i was amazed a couple of weeks ago in townsville when we were putting in at about 4am, and a line up of 15 or so boats were cueing to get to the ramp. probably 50% were cruisecrafts which proved to me they have a very big following here. good choice i think.
steve

ozbee
25-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Just don't go ahead first and buy a cat before trying one up here the angle of the coast from about ayr up starts to slope back making seas very short choppy and quite often coming in at two angles. The very short swells and side on chop it is not the best conditions for cats hence 99.9 percent of boats up here tend to be mono. please don't take this as a poor regard for cats i quite admire there abilities in more southern waters.

Guido
26-05-2008, 09:32 AM
625 CC would be a sweet rig, but i don't agree that there is an "ideal" size for our waters. "Ideal" depends on how long you want to stay out for (day/overnight), how keen you are to cop a hammering, how often you want to go out, how many people you want to take, cab or CC, towing, tides.

There's really not much in-between with the weather up here. It's either blowing hard or it's glassed out. A 6m boat in 15knots/1.5m conditions will still bang and I would prefer to stay home and avoid punching for 2hrs+ out to the reef.

ifishcq1
26-05-2008, 01:38 PM
A longboat won't bang in a 15kn breeze

SL

chop duster
26-05-2008, 01:41 PM
true 15knt head sea and you will! maybe if you putting along at 6 knots it won't

Malcolm1976
26-05-2008, 01:43 PM
I have been in a 6m Hooker in 15knots and just about drown it was so wet. I agree with fishing when the weather is good. Especially over the kinds of distance we have to travel to the reef. Its a long way to bump around.

ifishcq1
26-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Hooker?you are kidding, they are dangerous, they do not count as longboats ..I said longboat as in Yammy ub or workboats they can easily do 20knts into 15knt! I have two and wouldn't even entertain another power boat in running to the shoals and further, 100km+.. Look at the charts buddy we have more days 15 and over in CQ than nearly anywhere and if we want to fish we have to go when it is 15

SL

chop duster
26-05-2008, 02:07 PM
yer righteo mate! I will just have to take your word for it.

ifishcq1
26-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Hi Chop Duster, anytime you are up this way come for a run just give me a yell

SL

chop duster
26-05-2008, 04:13 PM
ifish
no worries, although, 100km @ 20knots sounds boring, you'd want to have a good sterio

disorderly
26-05-2008, 04:35 PM
ifish
no worries, although, 100km @ 20knots sounds boring, you'd want to have a good sterio

Up north you have to go where the best fishing is....and often travel slowly in less than ideal conditions.
I had a 4 hr 15 minute trip home weekend before last.....long,slow and rough...but never boring.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Those afflicted with ADHD need not apply for deckie spots up here.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

ifishcq1
26-05-2008, 05:54 PM
I am with Disorderly boring is not an option ;D

SL

Wahoo
26-05-2008, 08:09 PM
I had a 4 hr 15 minute trip home weekend before last.....long,slow and rough

LOL Scott, maybe it had something to do with the aspro hanging off the back of your boat ;D;D;D;D;D;D;D

sorry mate, left yourself open there ;)

Daz

Wahoo
26-05-2008, 08:12 PM
I'd like to know your thoughts on a suitable size boat for fishing the reefs off Townsville as I might be heading that way this year or next. I would like to buy a CC 625 Outsider and firstly would like to know if it's too small or about the right size.

Cheers,

Wags

Hi waggs, sounds like a fine boat, anything over the 6m is good for the waters up this way

Daz

chop duster
26-05-2008, 08:40 PM
I have actually lived and fished in cairns and surrounding areas all my life, so i know what the waters 'up this way are like'. Would you find me chugging along at 20knots into a head sea for 2 and a bit hours, NO, F that. I'd be altering my plans and heading somewhere that will alow for a beam on sea and riding the troughs.
Hey thats just me, I don't think I have ADHD.
Disordely, maybe you need to invest in a Longboat? :-/
Wags, sorry to get off track, the cruise craft - good fit & finish (if carpet and apoulstery) is your thing, stable at rest, good re-sale, although is not going to be your best riding boat in a head sea (most haines models will show up), but hey there are always compromises. The longer the boat, the easier it will bridge the troughs, usually prviding a smother ride.

leezor
26-05-2008, 09:21 PM
I agree with chop duster, I have a 23 footer and there is no way I would consider travelling 100ks in 15-20's for a fish, sounds like a good weekend to stay home. I wont even bother going out that far unless the forecast is 10-15's max. Cant see the point in going out if it's going to be uncomfortable. (maybe I am just getting soft in my old age) I do like the idea of having the larger boat just in case it blows up while out there though.

Shanoss
26-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Did someone say a hooker is not a long boat? What the bloody hell is it then? And you are dreaming if you reckon your Southwind doesnt bang into a 20 knot breeze. I've fished in them around Darwin and they start banging in 15's. Even less.

chop duster
27-05-2008, 10:03 AM
depending on the model, a hooker has a relatively large deadrise (21 deg or so), yer there length to beam ratio reflects that of a long boat, although I believe ifishcq was reffering to hull designs incorperating a delta pad or the like (little to no deadrise at the transom) providing stern lift to keep a the bow down (able to plane at low speeds using little HP).
A hooker will generally run better the faster you go, although this is not necessarily the case for the longboats. So in other words, a hooker and a longboat (as reffered to in this post) different running boats.

scorpionNQ
27-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Yep Shanoss, Chop is correct, the Hooker is not a true longboat. it is faster in the slop, but IMO, the longboat is better in most other area's. I owned a 6,7m Southwind and found the ride extremely good, plenty of deck space and a good all round fishing platform up here. I have just purchased 7.3m longboat, and as expected the ride is even better.

Hey Wags, I have also owned a CC 625 and the are a great boat. However, since going to the longboats, I would probably get out 3 times more, have less fuel bills, more fishing room (never slept in the cabin of the CC anyway) easier to tow etc. Also initial purchase price is far less than the Cruisy. Just my opion.
Cheers
Lee

Chimo
27-05-2008, 11:37 AM
I have just purchased 7.3m longboat, and as expected the ride is even better.

Hi Lee

What did you get? Any pics

Cheers
Chimo

Malcolm1976
27-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Hey Wags, I have also owned a CC 625 and the are a great boat. However, since going to the longboats, I would probably get out 3 times more, have less fuel bills, more fishing room (never slept in the cabin of the CC anyway) easier to tow etc. Also initial purchase price is far less than the Cruisy. Just my opion.
Cheers
Lee

I have to agree here. You would have to want a cabin style boat to justify all the extra expense. I have just brought a brand new 575 outsider. And its a great boat, perfect for me. But I have a young family (1yo and 3yo) who like to get out on the water. They both sleep during the day and the cabin is great. We will even go out the night before fishing and sleep on the boat. That way we are on location the following morning and I don't have to wake kids up. The cabin of the 575 sleeps myself, my wife and the 2 boys quite easily. If you don't need a cabin boat its a lot extra to spend on initial cost, fuel, towing etc. For me to take the 575 to the reef (and its more than capable) would probably cost almost a full tank of fuel!

Mal

boney-leg
27-05-2008, 06:56 PM
I have been in a 6m Hooker in 15knots and just about drown it was so wet.

It must have been blowing more than 15's to get you that wet. I own one and am regularly out in 15 -20's to get to the other side of the Palm Island. If going into it it pushes the spray away quite effectively. If the swell is SE but wind is bulleting southerly - then she gets wet.

If I didn't live here I don't think I'd be punching out of Lucinda in that wind though ;)

Malcolm1976
27-05-2008, 07:04 PM
It must have been blowing more than 15's to get you that wet. I own one and am regularly out in 15 -20's to get to the other side of the Palm Island. If going into it it pushes the spray away quite effectively. If the swell is SE but wind is bulleting southerly - then she gets wet.

If I didn't live here I don't think I'd be punching out of Lucinda in that wind though ;)

The wind was off the front quarter, and I was on the upwind side. The boat rode the slop well, not complaining there, but I was saturated be the end of the trip!

ifishcq1
27-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Did someone say a hooker is not a long boat? What the bloody hell is it then? And you are dreaming if you reckon your Southwind doesnt bang into a 20 knot breeze. I've fished in them around Darwin and they start banging in 15's. Even less. J

Who mentioned southwind. I said Yamaha longboat wb not southwind ub . 2 different boats altogether...Just ask the 2 well known Yeppoon boys that flipped a hooker (all the locals know about it) on only an average day a year or so ago.. ask the local dealers who don't sell hookers anymore.. go for a ride in a propper longboat with people that have fished in real longboats for a long time maybe the skippers you go with have no idea how to drive them.. by the way you have never been in mine a 25ft not the standard 21 or 23ft.. one of the very few of this size in Australia.. come with me before you open your mouth with unfounded statements get the facts right

SL

Shanoss
27-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Hooker?you are kidding, they are dangerous, they do not count as longboats ..I said longboat as in Yammy ub or workboats they can easily do 20knts into 15knt! I have two and wouldn't even entertain another power boat in running to the shoals and further, 100km+.. Look at the charts buddy we have more days 15 and over in CQ than nearly anywhere and if we want to fish we have to go when it is 15

SL

Speaking of mouthing off. Looks to me as though you called it a "UB". Isnt that a Southwind? And Southwind were owned by Yamaha were they not?

ozbee
27-05-2008, 08:44 PM
swell is a lot shorter in fact only about the length of a 23 footer compared to the longer swell around rocky so 15 knts is not really a correct comparison. anyhow ill get the popcorn

ifishcq1
27-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Shanoss, 1st I do not need to argue with you over anything..I never ever said Southwind UB..they are two different boats the yamaha ub and wb workboat are made under license to yamaha for the islands such as Tahiti, Fiji, and other island nations where long distance travel in remote areas is normal.. The bloke that made my last one in Madang is delivering 2 at the moment to the Solimans from Madang in one straight go.. they have a longer waterline length than the same size southwind that has a tucked under stern where as the plain yamaha work boat and utility boat have the same stern as a normal boat..The plain yammy boat does not have strakes on the hull either like the southwind ub, it goes from molded hull to delta pad in tapered transition... maybe my mouth is educated on these things..

SL

disorderly
27-05-2008, 08:51 PM
ifishcq...do you have some photo's of your boat?

Scott

Outsider1
27-05-2008, 08:53 PM
He has just put it up for sale Scott. Here is the link (with pics);

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?p=829898#post829898

Shanoss
27-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Righto, whatever.

boney-leg
27-05-2008, 10:49 PM
J
...Just ask the 2 well known Yeppoon boys that flipped a hooker (all the locals know about it) on only an average day a year or so ago...

I'm interested - do tell ...

caspermac
28-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Saw the ideal boat at Sanct.Cove Boat show. Ocean Landing 'Top Gun' 23' f/glass centre console, looks like Yamaha longboat hull, under $50k + motor. Had 150hp EFI Merc. - 38knts. Check out the website:
www.marinelanding.com (http://www.marinelanding.com)

wags on the water
28-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. I found the answer I was looking for.

Cheers,
Wags

ifishcq1
28-05-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm interested - do tell ... Can't say names One was one of my deckies and his dad is one of my mates. He is a top fisherman from a well known Yeppoon family..but you can get the story from the guys at seabreeze marine or ask any fishoes you know in Yeppoon.. I can't my hands are tied

SL

boney-leg
28-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Can't say names

SL

Don't want names - just want to know how you 'flip' a Hooker in reasonable conditions ... and now that I've typed that it sounds like a dirty joke :-X How do you flip a Hooker :P

ifishcq1
28-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Sorry Wags for hijacking your post have to shout you a bourbon
Boney-leg comin down a swell the nose dug into the back of the wave infront.
They seem to need a bit more flair or something in the shape to lift a bit more when needed

SL