PDA

View Full Version : Lure shy, savvy fish...

PNG1M
23-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Hi All,

Just seeing if anyone out there believes that fish can become 'lure savvy'.

I mean, if you fish with lures successfully in an area then after a while the catch dwindles could it be because the fish are becoming more wary, or spooked by lures. Or is it just because of changes in the conditions?

I have read that if fish appear to become 'lure shy' you could try lures that do not have an internal rattle, as maybe the fish associate the sound of the rattle with the threat of the lure.

And, if there is enough evidence to suggest that fish can become spooked by lures...how long would that fear last?

Fish have relatively small brains and in theory that would mean their memory is limited to short term.

I could accept that if a certain area was peppered by lures day after day, or week after week then the fish would have a more constant exposure and eventually they might associate the characteristice of a lure with a "no thanks" on the menu.

But what about a productive fishing area that was worked hard for a week straight every two or three months only? Would the resident fish there 'remember' and be savvy enough to be 'lure shy' next time round?

Last thing...if it was suspected that the fish were lure shy, are there other tactics that might work as well as using more 'silent style' lures (apart from changing locations or buying some fillets from the shop)??

So, any thoughts out there on lure savvy fish?