PDA

View Full Version : Croc in NT has Shark for Dinner.

Mtx
23-05-2008, 08:53 AM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23745182-421,00.html

"We went past one section of the river and we heard some splashing,'' he said.

"We looked across and saw a shark's tail coming up out of the water and then a crocodile's head came up and grabbed it.''
Mr van Bruggen said the crocodile knew exactly what it was doing, dragging the shark on to unfamiliar dry land before finishing off its prey.

"How smart is the crocodile? It if was you or me it would be dragging you in to drown you, but it takes the shark up on dry land,'' he said.

The fisherman, who was on the Daly River last Friday for the Barra Classic, said the crocodile definitely wanted shark for dinner.

QF3 MROCP
23-05-2008, 08:56 AM
crocs are that cleaver, there seen on golf courses in Darwin as well aren't they?

Outsider1
23-05-2008, 09:05 AM
crocs are that cleaver, there seen on golf courses in Darwin as well aren't they?
I don't know about Darwin, but there is a course in Cairns (Half Moon Bay??) that has them in abundance as part of their water hazards!

Cheers

Dave

rando
23-05-2008, 10:47 AM
What handicap??? do they generally play .

stingau
23-05-2008, 11:05 AM
rando usually missing arm..haha.. Thats one course that if you hit the ball into the rough you get a new ball and accept the penalty.

Whats the bet you also won't see ball collectors on the course at night. I remember a few yrsago one winter night after leaving the clubhouse we spotted some enterprising person in a wetsuit and snorkel entering the water hazzards. Big money in selling second hand balls I believe

SEMPER UBI SUB UBI

Reel Nauti
23-05-2008, 12:32 PM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23745182-421,00.html

"We went past one section of the river and we heard some splashing,'' he said.

"We looked across and saw a shark's tail coming up out of the water and then a crocodile's head came up and grabbed it.''
Mr van Bruggen said the crocodile knew exactly what it was doing, dragging the shark on to unfamiliar dry land before finishing off its prey.

"How smart is the crocodile? It if was you or me it would be dragging you in to drown you, but it takes the shark up on dry land,'' he said.

The fisherman, who was on the Daly River last Friday for the Barra Classic, said the crocodile definitely wanted shark for dinner.

I wonder what he means by this? Crocodiles don't sit around chewing. Ate it whole??

Dave

Luc
23-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Croc are quite adept at tearing prey apart.

Luc

Reel Nauti
23-05-2008, 08:21 PM
I thought they only did that after the food had rotted Luc?? Could very well be wrong though.

Cheers

Dave

shorty 01
23-05-2008, 08:49 PM
thats a smart croc. what size was the shark n croc

cheers davo

Outsider1
23-05-2008, 10:04 PM
H0tnoFx0DTA

Cheers

Dave

mattooty
24-05-2008, 09:30 AM
It has to be remembered that eating that small shark is no different to when the croc takes a thready or a barra. They're all fish to the croc and the smart thing to do is to take it out of the water. It makes no difference to the croc if it has teeth or not.
Conversely if the croc takes prey from dry land instincts tell it to drown it.

Scott nthQld
24-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Reel Nauti, the whole thing about crocs leaving their prey to rot before they consume is complete and utter bull plop. Crocs prefer fresh meat, and with those massive powerful jaws (3000psi + bite pressure)ripping a shark to peices would be a peice of piss for them as sharks don't have 'bones' as such, just dense cartilage, even though there's not many bones that would stand up to a croc bite.

el_carpo
25-05-2008, 12:22 AM
;D.....soon afterwards, the croc's life tragically came to an end when one of your deadly snakes bit him. The snake was then killed by one of your poisonous spiders who was in turn killed by one of your poisonous ticks who after deciding to go for a swim was killed by that poisonous octopus of yours that was killed by a poisonous jellyfish who had just narrowly escaped getting jabbed by a stingray who had almost been stuck by a platypus that was nearly eaten by a rabid dingo who had gotten the disease from a drop bear that was punched by a disgruntled Russell Crowe.;D;D;D

It's a beautiful country you have and the fishing is tops, but hooooo-weeeee! You have some pretty scary critters creeping around in the wild.

You guys fishing in the northern territories better keep both feet in the boat!:o

I can't say too much though, a wild cougar (mountain lion) was recently shot in downtown Chicago. I've also seen coyotes (think wolf-looking dingo) sneaking around at night.

robersl
25-05-2008, 05:00 PM
I don't know about Darwin, but there is a course in Cairns (Half Moon Bay??) that has them in abundance as part of their water hazards!

Cheers

Dave
Got to admit in the mid 80's i lived in cairns and used to hunt balls on the local course and did not even think of croc's in the creeks

shane

Little grey men
26-05-2008, 01:00 PM
who had gotten the disease from a drop bear

Hey El Carpo, not too many drop bears left mate, those mongrel bunyips ate them all.:(

SCOTTYGC
26-05-2008, 01:12 PM
a disgruntled Russell Crowe.

this one is not an australian animal

hes a kiwi

longtail
26-05-2008, 01:28 PM
this one is not an australian animal

hes a kiwi

NZ is just a far eastern suburb of Sydney ;D

el_carpo
26-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Crocs are eating sharks; bunyips are eating drop bears; and now I learn that Russell Crowe is a hobbit. These are strange times indeed my friends. :o

;D

Blinky
03-10-2009, 12:56 AM
thats a smart croc. what size was the shark n croc

cheers davo

I own the boat that the photo was taken out of, we all got a pile of photos of said croc scoffing the shark. At a guess, the croc would've been a couple of metres or so, the shark was a small river waler about a metre.
I would not have eaten the shark whole, it would have thrashed it until it broke up into pieces it could fit down it's gob.

JRJR
03-10-2009, 06:47 AM

What!?..............playing a round?

sagair
05-10-2009, 02:05 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/redhsv/PigHunting.jpg
Bringing home the bacon.

oldboot
10-10-2009, 08:34 PM
interesting that the crock's brain is about the size of its largest tooth......so crocks are not over blessed with thinking material........BUT....... most of its brain capacity is devoted "whats for dinner".......the remainder is devoted to getting laid a couple of times a year...........HMMM.....we all know someone like that;D.

cheers

bondy99
14-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Crocks 1 Sharks 0

Chamelion
14-10-2009, 06:46 PM
;D.....soon afterwards, the croc's life tragically came to an end when one of your deadly snakes bit him. The snake was then killed by one of your poisonous spiders who was in turn killed by one of your poisonous ticks who after deciding to go for a swim was killed by that poisonous octopus of yours that was killed by a poisonous jellyfish who had just narrowly escaped getting jabbed by a stingray who had almost been stuck by a platypus that was nearly eaten by a rabid dingo who had gotten the disease from a drop bear that was punched by a disgruntled Russell Crowe.;D;D;D

It's a beautiful country you have and the fishing is tops, but hooooo-weeeee! You have some pretty scary critters creeping around in the wild.

You guys fishing in the northern territories better keep both feet in the boat!:o

I can't say too much though, a wild cougar (mountain lion) was recently shot in downtown Chicago. I've also seen coyotes (think wolf-looking dingo) sneaking around at night.

After that post I'm going to ignore the fact that you're from the USA. You're now an Australian, congratulations.

dodgyone
14-10-2009, 08:08 PM
I own the boat that the photo was taken out of, we all got a pile of photos of said croc scoffing the shark. At a guess, the croc would've been a couple of metres or so, the shark was a small river waler about a metre.
I would not have eaten the shark whole, it would have thrashed it until it broke up into pieces it could fit down it's gob.

Hey Blinky.

Mr van Bruggen is a member here too.;)

PNG1M
16-10-2009, 05:14 AM
I wonder how much the rights in that area would be for the licence to retrieve golf balls from the ponds?

Blinky
28-10-2009, 12:15 PM
What!?..............playing a round?

No, playing around..............

hooknose
28-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Good to hear from el carpo, its been a while brother, getting any fish over there mate ?, !!

the baker
30-10-2009, 05:48 AM
Got to admit in the mid 80's i lived in cairns and used to hunt balls on the local course and did not even think of croc's in the creeks

shane

Greg "The Shark"Norman Had better be carefull if he has a game of golf there