PDA

View Full Version : My turn for a quick braid/rig question

Damned67
22-05-2008, 09:57 PM
So, I just went and bought a cheap soft plastics rod. After everything I've read about braid, and never trying it, coupled with the fact that it was on sale, I also bought a spool of 10lb Fireline. To top it all off, I also bought some 12lb fluorocarbon for a leader. I've never in my life used anything other than mono, so this is all new to me.
OK, so I don't expect my fishing to get any better, let's face it, the fish aren't going to sit there and say "Hey, he's got some nice line there, I think I might insert his hook into my mouth". I just thought I'd give it a try to see what all the fuss is about.
Anyway, my primary goal is to throw some SP's and small hard bodies about, but my question comes down to when I just want to sit there and toss some bait on the end of the line. Sometimes it's just nice to sit there in the canoe, out on the water, and contemplate my navel.
Here's my question/s: I almost always rig my (bait) lines with a running sinker above a swivel, then leader to a hook. How does this work with braid? In my inexperienced eyes, I would think that the play in the swivel would (almost) defeat the point of using braid ?? Do I just use a solid ring? Does the play in the swivel make any difference? Or should I be looking at a completely different 'rig'? Am I thinking too much about this? Should I just stick to playing with my car? Who needs a beer?

Cheers!

Mark-P
22-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Mate do away with the swivel, use the fluro in say a 6' lenght tired to your
braid .... Use a double uni knot to join the 2 lines & away you go !!!!
The swivel only aids in the provention of line twist IMO so its not that important
for soaking bait.... Just use your running ball sit straight onto the hook !

Mark

Horse
23-05-2008, 07:39 AM
The normal rig works fine as the swivel transmits from the leader fine
For most cases I would just tie the leader on with an improved Albright or other knot of choice and run a verysmall sinker on the hook